p90x and Gym

Options
Does anyone know if its too much to do the p90x lean track and go to the gym and do about an hour of cardio? I started the p90x program 2 days ago and I love it but I also love going to the gym with my boyfriend and doing cardio or zumba while he lifts weights. I just have just always heard that you can workout too much and slow weight loss. so if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It should be fine but just make sue you are eating enough. Track your exercise on MFP and eat back 50-90% of the calories burned through exercise. If you don't eat the extra calories your body will starve and slow your metabolism down making it harder to loose weight.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a lot of cardio with P90X lean. I am training for a triathlon so I run, swim and bike in addition to P90X. I am on Day 28 and may skip the cardio day in Phase 2. I wanted to try to stick to it as much as possible for the first 30 days. I would much rather skip Yoga though. I'm interested to hear how other people modify the program.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I do extra cardio with my p90x (look at the doubles) you do the normal routine then add cardiox on the days you do the strength training. I dont see why you cant do your cardio at the gym, just make sure and get your rest day!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,711 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if its too much to do the p90x lean track and go to the gym and do about an hour of cardio? I started the p90x program 2 days ago and I love it but I also love going to the gym with my boyfriend and doing cardio or zumba while he lifts weights. I just have just always heard that you can workout too much and slow weight loss. so if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.
    I don't think it would slow weight loss, but I would still advise against it. My worry is that you'll do too much and burn yourself out and then not do anything. I've seen it happen time and time again. P90X is a pretty intense workout (remember, the X stands for extreme). If you commit to doing that for the next 90 days and are consistent with your workouts six days a week, you should get great fitness results. Likewise, if you follow a reasonable food plan and are consistent, you should get great weight-loss results. If you set your weight-loss goal at 2 pounds and/or refuse to eat your exercise calories, then you'll be more likely to have a tough time sticking to it for the long haul. That's my 2 cents. Best to you! :flowerforyou:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I am doing p90x (just started the 2nd phase this week) as well as running 5 miles (about an hour) 3-5 days a week. I haven't had any problems with this and I am losing about 2.5 lb per week. My metabolism has certainly picked up! As for the calories on days I do p90x and running I will I eat some of my calories back but not all. I just eat my normal meals and throw in a 150 cal snack in if i'm still hungry. Your body will tell you how it feels about extra cardio and p90x so just listen to it!
  • LPNlauren
    LPNlauren Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks guys!