logging activity as "1 calorie burned"

Options
I have seen some people here that log in their activity as "1 calorie burned" as opposed to entering it as what they actually burned. I have heard several explainations as to why, from "so it doesn't mess with my macros" to "so I don't have to eat back my exercise calories".....

Can anyone help me understand this?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For most people, it's because rather than going with the MFP default calorie intake, they chose to set their own based on their TDEE. The system that MFP uses, which has you log your exercise separately from your daily activity level, and then eating back your exercise calories, is really only ideal for people who are sedentary or only engage in light to moderate intensity cardio. If the workout regimen you are following incorporates high intensity work, such as strength training, or high intensity cardio, it is instead better to go with a TDEE-based approach, where you factor your calorie burn into your daily calorie goal and eat that much everyday.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think it's when people factor their activities in at the beginning (in their activity level) as opposed to starting at "sedentary" and adding their daily exercise. Is this right, guys?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I log "1" on strength days, but on cardio days I log the whole thing, I just don't eat most of it back (or that's the idea). I'll eat more on a big cardio day, though. And it's for the reason they stated above, I already have activity built into my daily calorie goal.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Ya, people who do the TDEE -20/15/10% usually do this so it doesn't mess with their calorie goals and macros. I just ignore my exercise calories instead (i'm also doing the TDEE -20% ) because I like to see what my burn was for my exercise goals.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used to log my actual burn and still just ate according to actual goal, as my workouts are figured into my TDEE - but then I realized the added cals changed my macros, which I have set where I want them. So now I log the workout at 1 cal, make a note of the actual burn (because I like to see my hard work too!), and make a regular post on my page of the actual exercise and burn, because the encouragement is still welcomed (and showing the single cal confused some of my friends). :tongue:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Many people figure out their calorie goal including exercise (MFP does not include exercise which is why it encourages you to "eat back" those calories). A great, simple explanation of that method is here (i.e. TDEE - a certain percentage)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

They still want to be accountable for their exercise, or just want support/encouragement/praise for their activity so they log it, and change the goal to 1 calories so as not to change their calorie/macro goals since they have already accounted for exercise.

Others choose to follow the MFP number and don't want to eat back their calories.

ETA - I have always found that the TDEE method and MFP with logging exercise end up in the same general place, just two different methods to get to the same result.
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    as my workouts are figured into my TDEE - but then I realized the added cals changed my macros, which I have set where I want them.

How does logging your calories burned, affect your macros (protein, fat & carbs). Doesn't logging calories burned just add calories back into your total calories?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    as my workouts are figured into my TDEE - but then I realized the added cals changed my macros, which I have set where I want them.

How does logging your calories burned, affect your macros (protein, fat & carbs). Doesn't logging calories burned just add calories back into your total calories?

Yes it changes, but since protein, carbs, & fat are a percentage of your calories it only makes sense that they would change as well. The percentage wouldn't change, but if the base changes, so does the number you're allowed to eat. For example 10% of 100 is 10 and 10% of 1000 is 100. The percentage is still the same, but changing the number it's a percent of has an effect on how much the % is equal to.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly how MFP factors in the exercise calories, and frankly I'm not sure how people calculate them. I use MFP because it has a pretty good database of macro nutrients for different foods. I needed that tool to get a handle on my food intake (I had no idea about the energy or nutrient content of what I was eating).

Over the weeks, I observe the results while considering the activity I do. I can make adjustments accordingly, but on a weekly/monthly basis.

I have no idea how many calories I burn, nor do I care.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    That's what I do. I input my calories manually..settings--> goals-> custom. I just started doing this.
  • miaotiaox
    miaotiaox Posts: 13
    Options
    I will be logging my activity now as "1 calorie burned" because I have a BodyMedia band that will already adjust my calories for me. I still want to log my exercise because I want to be able to look back and see what I did on a certain day, but I don't want it to affect my calories.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    For most people, it's because rather than going with the MFP default calorie intake, they chose to set their own based on their TDEE. The system that MFP uses, which has you log your exercise separately from your daily activity level, and then eating back your exercise calories, is really only ideal for people who are sedentary or only engage in light to moderate intensity cardio. If the workout regimen you are following incorporates high intensity work, such as strength training, or high intensity cardio, it is instead better to go with a TDEE-based approach, where you factor your calorie burn into your daily calorie goal and eat that much everyday.

This is what I do. My TDEE is 1800-2400 on a given day. Rather than eat the 1400 cals MFP gives me and eat what I burn, I'd rather eat 2000 cals/day every day. I don't like being hungry one day and stuffing myself the next.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read....Thanks for posting this
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ya, people who do the TDEE -20/15/10% usually do this so it doesn't mess with their calorie goals and macros. I just ignore my exercise calories instead (i'm also doing the TDEE -20% ) because I like to see what my burn was for my exercise goals.

This^^^

I use the TDEE method, so my exercise is already factored into my activity level (not the case if doing MFP method...or NEAT method). I actually don't even log it as one calorie anymore...I have a running app and lifting app that I log all of my exercise and set my fitness goals in.