Kettlebells are amazing

slimkitty
slimkitty Posts: 418
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just finished my second workout with a kettlebell. My first one was on Sunday and it was awesome, but very intense. It turned my legs into jello and I barely made it down the stairs. I was still slightly sore today, but I decided to give it another try. I love it. It's fun and quick - only 25 minutes, but I am pouring sweat and my entire body gets a great workout

MFP doesn't have kettlebells in the exercise log, so I can't log it. I read somewhere that you burn 20 cal per minute with kettlebells, but I don't know how true that is. In any case it doesn't matter, It's a great workout, I love it and look forward to doing it again. I am going to alternate kettlebells with the C25K and 100 push ups challenge.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I go to a class at my local YWCA on Sundays. I log the workout as circuit training since we do mostly circuits during that time. You could log it as that to at least get a rough estimate.
  • slimkitty
    Great idea. Thanks :)
  • AngelaBeaulieu
    AngelaBeaulieu Posts: 109 Member
    why not google the average calories burned using kettlebells and ADD it to the exercises.
    When I tried to add Bootcamp and nothing came up there was an ADD feature so I added bootcamp and averaged 450 cal/60min
    Just a thought!!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    I agree!!!! I am LOVING my kbell training. I am doing my 2nd round of Insanity, but I do kbells on Mondays & Thursdays. Some kbell workouts are more cardio, some more strength focused...& of course calorie burn depends on the individual's resting heartrate, weight, height, effort, etc...but if it helps, I burn about an average of 8-9 calories per minute when I do 40-45 minutes of kbells using mostly a 25lb bell.
  • slimkitty
    why not google the average calories burned using kettlebells and ADD it to the exercises.
    When I tried to add Bootcamp and nothing came up there was an ADD feature so I added bootcamp and averaged 450 cal/60min
    Just a thought!!

I did that and I found a place stating you burn 20 cal per minute of doing kettlebells. So that would mean I burned 500 calories in 25 minutes which as intense as it is, I find hard to believe. I guess if I figure out the warm up, rest periods, cool down and time spent actively swinging kettlebells it would be a lot less then 500, but it would still be just an average estimate.

It doesn't matter anyway. Once I see my jiggly butt slimming down and firming up I am not going to care about the calories burned :bigsmile:
  • slimkitty
    I agree!!!! I am LOVING my kbell training. I am doing my 2nd round of Insanity, but I do kbells on Mondays & Thursdays. Some kbell workouts are more cardio, some more strength focused...& of course calorie burn depends on the individual's resting heartrate, weight, height, effort, etc...but if it helps, I burn about an average of 8-9 calories per minute when I do 40-45 minutes of kbells using mostly a 25lb bell.

Thanks. This makes a little more sense than the 20 cal per minute :)
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    you guys using a video for your kbell routines or do you have a list of particular sets that you do?? I have a kbell bootcamp video but it's kinda long and I don't always have the time, but I'm seeing where some folks on here are burning up to 400 cals in 25 mins!!!! I'd like to find a shorter workout for days when time is short......

thanks!
  • slimkitty
    you guys using a video for your kbell routines or do you have a list of particular sets that you do?? I have a kbell bootcamp video but it's kinda long and I don't always have the time, but I'm seeing where some folks on here are burning up to 400 cals in 25 mins!!!! I'd like to find a shorter workout for days when time is short......

thanks!

I got mine at Target (the kettlebell and the DVD). It's from the KettlebellKonnection the Kettlebell 25 Minute workout with Jessica Huthmaker. I tried a couple of others and didn't care for them. They were long and you wasted so much time listening to the instructor teaching the moves that the actual workout didn't add up to much. The one I am using now with Jessica Huthmake and I love is 25 minutes of very intense workout with a few breaks that I really need inbetween. There's an option in the menu to go into and learn the moves. I did that once and now I just go to the 25min workout.
  • BiloxiBelle

thanks!

I LOVE Lauren Brooks Ultimate Body Sculpt & Conditioning 1 & 2. She has good form & a good tutorial. There are different length workouts on each dvd that range from 12-45 minutes. She also has a dvd called "Baby Bells" that she is pregnant in. It is easier than her others & is designed for pregnant/post pregnant women. Also Steve Cotter's Extreme kbell 4 dvd set has a bunch of different workouts...A lower body workout & an upper body (each 36 minutes), an ab dvd that has about 5 ten minute ab workouts & a more cardio kbell dvd that has a 10 min., 20 min., and a 60 minute workout on it. Other than that, Art of Strength Providence is a good place to start (& Santa Monica, Firepower, & Newport are all well received as well but more advanced).
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    I have a kettlebell....but no video and no money. I've never used it because I honestly don't know what to do with it. I would gladly take any suggestions.
  • BiloxiBelle
    I have a kettlebell....but no video and no money. I've never used it because I honestly don't know what to do with it. I would gladly take any suggestions.

Haha! Kettlebells & the kbell dvds are both pretty pricey I must say!! If you can't spend the cash, check out you tube for some basic kbell moves like swings (1 arms, alternating, double arm, overhead....), clean & press... Form is super important when kbell training, so look for some basic instruction on form before you start swinging the bell around!
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    thankyou....thats why I haven't started yet...it was a birthday gift from my hubby last year (yes I asked for it lol) but i'm so scared of injuring myself so I'm nervous to pick it up and get started.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Thanks BiloxiBelle and Slimkitty....I'll def have to keep an eye out for these. It's just harder to find just a video and not the combo pack with the bell. If I bought every video I found, not only would I be BROKE but I'd be tripping over kettlebells!!! lol :laugh: But thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.