Questioning Stress Fracture Treatment

Has anyone else had a tibial stress fracture caused by running? I recently visited a podiatrist for a consultation for orthotics due to shin splints. However, he suspected that I might have a stress fracture due to the pain. He ordered a bone scan which confirmed a stress fracture and referred me to a orthopedic for treatment (expecting I would be sidelined for an extended period).

I saw the orthopedic today who reviewed the bone scan and also took some xrays. According to the xrays the bone is healing itself and he didn't prescribe any treatment plan to me. Suggested that it was fine for me to continue running 3 times per week, about 3 miles a day and will see me in 4 weeks. Said not to increase my running or speed but to continue as I have been.

Does this sound right? I'm not a doctor but everything I have read about stress fractures plus the podiatrist reaction -- tells me I should NOT be running. I'm considering a second opinion but not certain if I'm overreacting. HELP! :)

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    2nd opinion. Everything I know about stress fractures and my experience dealing with them when I worked as an athletic trainer is rest, rest and rest, especially in a weight bearing bone.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Never heard "continue running" as stress fracture advice. I'd definitely seek a second opinion. Also call the podiatrist and run the ortho's theory by him. He's already familiar with your case. I'm not saying the ortho is wrong, but it sounds odd enough to me that I'd at least want to verify.
  • amann95
    amann95 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for your replies. After thinking about it, I am going to seek a second opinion to put my mind at ease.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    I know this thread is old.

My 13 yo has just had a stress fracture diagnosed in his tibia, quite close to the knee. It was diagnosed 3 weeks after he started to feel pain, so the doctor did not think casting it was useful. The kiddo is precluded from running or jumping for 6-8 weeks from the time he reported pain.

As the fracture was only partial, i.e., not all the way through the bone, the doctor said that his body's response to the injury will be muted, and could take longer than the time one would expect from a "proper" break.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    I just saw a sports med doctor today and he too said to continue with running -just less and not "hard" - said the pain will subside and the bone will heal - there is no break - just stress fracture.