Ladies: what type of gloves do you wear when you lift?

Options
I'm in the market for weight lifting gloves. My hands are starting to get seriously ugly. Anyone have a brand or tips to share? My hubby is a former competitive body builder, and he doesn't like them at all. So he's no help!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I would like to see the answers, too so this is a bump so I can "subscribe"
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of Nike lifting loves and they save my poor palms! I also use a wrist support that wraps over the glove and onto the wrist to help with my sadly lacking grip strength...not sure if it does actually help. lol

I have quite a few friends who think the gloves make it harder to grip the bar...I do not have that issue.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    bought a pair of underarmour lifting gloves for $20 at CitySports. Definitely saves my hands!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of gloves from Reebok that are apparently supposed to be meant for men. It fits though, so I don't care - especially since the ladies' gloves were so thin -.- I love them and I think they really help for me, because some of the heavier dumbbells at my gym are a teen bit rusty (probably due to lack of use at my women-only gym) .........
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    No gloves! Gloves I find can impede some of your goals in terms of strength, etc plus callouses are very useful - especially for grip!

If yours are getting too big/thick you CAN file them down say every 2 weeks or so to keep 'em nice and you can also moisturize
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    No gloves! Gloves I find can impede some of your goals in terms of strength, etc plus callouses are very useful - especially for grip!

If yours are getting too big/thick you CAN file them down say every 2 weeks or so to keep 'em nice and you can also moisturize
    ^^^ This. I wear my callouses with pride and find a better connection with strength training not wearing gloves.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Yuck! no thanks. :tongue:
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    Only when I don't want to leave finger prints lol
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Versa Grips. They improve my grip strength, don't hinder my lifts, and I only have one small callous that I'm sure I wouldn't have if I bothered to take my wedding ring off. And I don't see how now wanting rough hands malls anyone less of a lifter :wink:
  • amybg1
    Options
    Wearing gloves doesn't make you less of a lifter, but they tend to not help when it comes to wanting to increase grip and forearm strength.

Think of it this way: In the gym gloves could help prevent callouses and provide a false sense of accomplishment for grip strength, but they take away from a true grip/forearm workout. So with gloves you seem stronger than you actually are.

Throw in a real life situation where say...You have to hold onto something real tight - no gloves, weaker grip. So then what?

Is it better to use gloves and have the smell of sweaty leather permeate your clothes/gym bag after a while, have no callouses but a weaker grip? Or is it better to develop callouses and take care of them like you would teh rest of your skin - and when a situation comes where REAL strength is required you'll know you have it covered without gloves?
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback!
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    No gloves, love my callouses :P My bf wears them though. He loves them. I've seen some at Best Buy that looked nice. They were Nike and Underarmor
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but my callouses get so painful I can not lift if I don't wear gloves. I use a pair of reebok gloves that seem ok, other than the fact that my callouses are still getting bigger and still hurt somewhat. I've been contemplating trying the femme fatale ones, just to see if any better.
  • No gloves! Gloves I find can impede some of your goals in terms of strength, etc plus callouses are very useful - especially for grip!

How would gloves impede strength goals? Is it because there is less friction in the grip if you're wearing gloves?
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I bought brown leather valeo ones
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I bought Harbinger ones on Amazon and I love them.
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

My dumbbells leave little metal splinters in my hands when I don't wear gloves. Must be something wrong with my dumbbells :(
  • amybg1
    Options
    Gloves in my previous experience provide support, not just comfort but support in a way that impedes slightly on strength goals depending on what yours are since they help with grip in a way and so your hands on their own have less of a workload
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm at the gym and smell something particularly foul, I look for someone wearing gloves. Oh yes, they stink. Really bad. Don't get them.