How would you classify this exercise?

asltiffm
asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I sometimes ride my bike towing my 55 lb dog in a 25 lb trailer. I also sometimes ride a bike with 50+ lbs of gear strapped to it. This burns ALOT more calories than riding unloaded, especially when you do it all day as I do sometimes. How would I log this into the exercise section without using a HRM? I can't afford one right now.

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    There's an exercise in the database " Bicycling - racing, 20MPH" that logs in at close to 1500 cals per hour. That might be pretty close,,,
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    I am no expert but first I would put this under the category "insane" HaHa I just can not imagine. But seriously add the weight to your personal weight as (calorie burn per excercise uses your own body weight within the calculation) I am sure that the excercises that are listed in MFP do this however you don't want to change your settings so you may need to find another site that calculates of course you'll have to alter this as you or your inactive dog loses weight. I am no expert but this method may get you closer to a realistic calorie burn. :huh:
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    I sometimes ride my bike towing my 55 lb dog in a 25 lb trailer. I also sometimes ride a bike with 50+ lbs of gear strapped to it. This burns ALOT more calories than riding unloaded, especially when you do it all day as I do sometimes. How would I log this into the exercise section without using a HRM? I can't afford one right now.

Did you have to train your dog to sit still in the trailer? I've considered putting my dogs in a bike trailer before but was afraid that if they got a little over excited they might cause the trailer to lurch or that they could get out.

Sorry I don't have any help on the calories - but I'm darn sure it's a LOT
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Oh yeah, I hadn't even thought about listing it as a faster speed. I think that's a really good idea! No messing with numbers that way.

Kellybones, I didn't train her per se. I let her run beside the bike for about 5 miles before I put her in it (this was a normal daily run for her at the time). Then she rests in the trailer for 15-30 minutes until she tells me she's ready for more. She knows a bike ride takes a lot of energy so she doesn't waste any while in the trailer. I load her in and she lays down almost right away. But if you don't want to let your dog run its energy out before getting in the trailer, then you shuld get one that has a door that zips closed. My trailer has a front and back door and both zip closed so she couldn't get out. It also has a couple D-rings to attach a lead to for further security. When we first started I left the doors open and didn't strap her in. She jumped out because she was afraid. So I put her back in and zipped the doors closed and strapped her in. A couple of rides later, since she hadn't tried to jump out again, I quit strapping her in. And the next ride I decided to leave the doors open to see what would happen. She hasn't ever bailed since that first time. I was doing all my biking on little country roads so there really wasn't a safety problem even if she had jumped out. Now I live in a much more populated area so I only leave the front door open. The dog specific trailers (which is what I have) have a spring in the hitch that helps make riding with a moving dog easier. But if you dog is trained to "settle" or to "go to your place" than it shouldn't be too hard to get him to adjust to being calm in the trailer... depending on the breed of course. What breed do you have?
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    My basset would sleep through the whole thing. :smile:
  • kellybones
    I have two Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers/Queensland Heelers) and one Cattle Dog/Husky/something mix. Our energy level around here is HIGH! Right now we (my husband and I) run them 4 days a week - about 4 miles at a time. But I'm way better at biking than I am running. Machines are efficient! Guess I will have to start thinking about trailers for the dogs.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    I tow two 30lbs kids in my trailer....they can't be trained to sit still !!!!!hahahah
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    I have two Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers/Queensland Heelers) and one Cattle Dog/Husky/something mix. Our energy level around here is HIGH! Right now we (my husband and I) run them 4 days a week - about 4 miles at a time. But I'm way better at biking than I am running. Machines are efficient! Guess I will have to start thinking about trailers for the dogs.

I have The Springer which mounts to your bike and absorbs 90% of the force if your dog pulls. I ride with my 115 pound German Shep mix and have never had a problem when squirrels or cats run by us:laugh: If I was just holding the leash in my hand, I would easily be on the ground. I think your dogs would rather run than ride.

It is pricey but definitely worth it! I have the German Shep and 2 lab mixes. My house would be chaos if they did not get out for their run while I ride. I run too and have tried to take them with me but they want to stop and pee on everything and I end up tripping over them. It is not a safe situation. When they are on the bike, they just run. I don't know what switch goes off but they are not interested in peeing anymore.
  • kellybones
    I'm sure they'd rather run than ride - but I want to be able to get home! I am thinking more of the bike trailer as a resting place really - run 5 miles and then rest for 20 minutes while I keep on biking - I like to do 2 or three hour bike rides and it's not fair to ask any of the dogs to run flat out for that long - especially in AZ!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    I think perhaps the closest estimation would be if MFP has some kind of option for riding with resistance.... ie I imagine it is similar to if you are at the gym and riding at a super high resistance.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    That is far for the dogs. I have 2 bikes. My road bike on which I do my major mileage and then a cruiser to run the dogs on. I'm in TX so I understand the heat. Maybe you could find a loop to your house in which you take one for 5 miles, switch out dogs and take the other, etc.
This discussion has been closed.