Eatting healthy while traveling

Options
Yurippe
Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
Fast food is gross and in an ideal world none of us would EVER eat it. I have a hard time avoiding it though and would like some suggestions on how to do so.

I travel for work. More than 50% of the time I am working in another state and living out of a hotel w/ no refrigerator. Working a 15 hour day is not unusual. Under those circumstances with no kitchen and VERY limited time how would you feed yourself?

Replies

• CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Well I see your problem. I would suggest maybe hitting the grocery stores, like Publix, Kroger, Whole Foods, Ingles whatever is near. Most of these now have huge salad bars, olive bars, as well as other stuff like hot foods. I think like you, fast food to me now is gross. I can't even stomach it down. The other suggestion is always Subway, great healthy choices for minimal prices. Hope this helps at least a little bit. I've done the grocery store thing a few times and it's quick, I feel good instead of guilty when I grab something from there. :smile:
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Unfortunately I always go for fast food while traveling. I just try to choose the healthiest version. (Subway? Quiznos?) But then I also go for the not-so-good ones.. (Krystal burger.. Taco bell).

I just make sure to eat LESS and try to pair with a salad with no dressing. I also look up the nutrition info online before I go out. I know this probably doesn't help you too much but even eliminating the fries from the meal will do you a great deal of good!
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Subway when travelling. The hard part is when I am travelling with others or have client lunches/dinners. I can't really takem them to Subway. I also stay at Holiday Inn Express when I can. They have some good choices for breakfast (fruit, fat free milk, whole wheat bread). They usually have a microwave in the room or breakfast area that you could use if you wanted to go to a grocery store. I know it is not always possible to do that though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well I see your problem. I would suggest maybe hitting the grocery stores, like Publix, Kroger, Whole Foods, Ingles whatever is near. Most of these now have huge salad bars, olive bars, as well as other stuff like hot foods. I think like you, fast food to me now is gross. I can't even stomach it down. The other suggestion is always Subway, great healthy choices for minimal prices. Hope this helps at least a little bit. I've done the grocery store thing a few times and it's quick, I feel good instead of guilty when I grab something from there. :smile:

Ditto, you can by individual wholewheat buns/rolls and visit the deli counter for a small amount of meat and cheese and grab a little produce, you could get a meal for $3-$4 that way.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I always go for fast food while traveling. I just try to choose the healthiest version. (Subway? Quiznos?) But then I also go for the not-so-good ones.. (Krystal burger.. Taco bell).

I just make sure to eat LESS and try to pair with a salad with no dressing. I also look up the nutrition info online before I go out. I know this probably doesn't help you too much but even eliminating the fries from the meal will do you a great deal of good!
    Taco Bell has some delecious low calorie Fresco tacos now. Mostly veggies and meat. My hubby loves them. :)
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    There is usually a fridge at the locations I travel too so I can keep some healthy food at work, just not in my hotel room. Variety and time are the biggest problems. How long before you get bored with oatmeal for breakfast and turkey sandwiches for lunch. Produce doesn't keep for a long time and if I have to work for 15 hours it leaves no time for shopping at the end of the day.

I do look up nutritional info when I have to eat out. Sodium is the hardest thing to control when you don't prepair your own food. It's completely turned me off to Subway which I used to consider a healthy choice. Even then lowest sodium items on the Subway menu are pushing the limit of your entire days worth.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps!! :)
    Ok first off I'll wrap just about anything in lettuce but seriously... If you bring with a few cans of tuna and spices (I like curry, garlic powder, dill, cayenne) (no fridge necessary) and when you get where you're going grab a head of butter lettuce (they're small and usually under $2.00) grab a couple packs of fat free mayo (again no fridge necessary) you can whip up a yummy lunch for under 300 calories. :) A lot of gas stations also will carry fruit bowls, yogurt, meal replacement bars etc... which work great if you're in a hurry and can't stop at a grocer... some ideas anyway.

:drinker: