Better to walk for time or speed?

kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started out recently and walking 35 minutes @ 3.5 MPH.

Is it better to work up to like 60 minutes @ 3.5 MPH, or walking 30 minutes @ 4.0 MPH?

Right now, I'd like to walk either 60 minutes once a day or 30 minutes twice a day.

Btw, I'm going to get a heart monitor this week. :)

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Everything I have read says that HIT (High Intensity Training) works best for burning fat and cals. If you walk as fast as you can for a few minutes, then drop the level down for two minutes so your heart slows down and then speed back up again. IM intersted to see what people say to do in this thread. I am in the same boat. Let me know how you like your HRM, im thinking of getting one.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Hi,

Would depend on the individual...I walk for speed to boost my heart rate...about 30-minutes...plus I have the Polar F6 that monitor my heart rate and track calories burn....it has other functions...will get around to reading more about them.

B
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Hi, Christina...

Actually, whether you walk a mile in 20 minutes or 1 hour, it still burns the same 100 calories (for most people, .1 mi = 10 cal burned). The only real benefit to doing it faster is that it is done (or, unless you are training for a marathon, then pace matters!)!

Now, there are some argument that says that to burn fat, you should keep your heart rate low and walk slow... however, it is generally accepted that you get the same benefits whether fast or slow (again, you are burning the same number of calories by walking a certain distance, rather than by walking a certain speed).

So, to answer your question, do what feels best for you and is less likely to make you discouraged!

I hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.