Using my HRM to accurately calculate BMR

Options
2»

Replies

• watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Brad3k, you clearly live in america or somewhere where the health service is better. Here in the UK we don't have the luxury of seeing a dietitian unless we pay big money, which is such a shame as I thiknk that is prob what i need to do :)

Thanks for the reply.

How can you POSSIBLY say health care in the USA is better than the UK. We get nearly everything for free. Have you asked to be referred to a dietician. If not you can contact a freelance one. Many work using email/ phone consultations.

If its a health issue then the NHS will pay. If not, then a couple of sessions from a professional,will surely be worth it, if its important to you.

Free doesn't necessarily mean better. I've tried getting my Asperger's and circadian rhythm disorder diagnosed - "if you have it you can't be cured, finding out won't change anything, no point in a referral".
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I also like Fat2Fit radio but I recently got a FitBit and I really like the calorie recommendations it makes for me. I was on a 3-4 week plateau and since I got my FitBit I started losing again. It's only been 2 weeks but I did lose 3.2 pounds in that time and I've been eating around 1800-2100 calories a day in that time (range based on daily activity level). The FitBit also inspires me to be more active each day which I like because I like eating more!

I am 5'4", currently 181 pounds and let's say my goal weight is 146 (maximum healthy BMI for my height). PS I am 40. I chose moderately active which is 3-5 hours of exercise a week. I used 36% for body fat since that is what my scale says.

Scooby Workshop says my BMR is 1549, my TDEE is 2402 and TDEE - 20% is 1921

Fat2Fit Radio says my BMR is between 1509 and 1555. They recommend I eat 2175 per day for the moderately active level.

I think if I ate the 2175 I would still lose but maybe a it slower. All of these numbers are pretty similar, I'm not sure how you are getting a 500 calorie difference in your BMR. My range is only from 1509-1555 which is less than 50 calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You will not get an accurate calculation of BMR this way, it will actually be overinflated. The HRM is not designed for that. HRM measure heart rate. Heart rate has no direct relationship to calories burned. The HRM bases its calorie estimation on a known relationship between VO2 max and calories burned during steady state moderate intensity cardio, when your heart rate is at a certain percentage of your VO2 max. There is a very low correlation to heart rate and calories burned during low intensity, which would be the majority of the day.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Also keep in mind that there are any number of factors that affect heart rate that have nothing to do with calories burned. The HRM assumes that any elevated heart rate is due to cardio exorcise and estimates calories based on that. It has no idea if you are running a 10 minute mile or if something just startled you.