Quick/On-the-go Breakfast Ideas

Options
2stepscloser
2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
With my thyroid medicine, I have to wait 1 hour from the time I take it before I can eat anything, which usually means I'm not eating anything until my drive into work. I end up making a protein shake each morning, which I like because it is quick and easy. Other than greek yogurt, what are some of your protein filled quick/on-the-go breakfast ideas?

Replies

• Igotdisbish
    Options
    I have made oatmeal and put it in a solo cup. Have to make it a lil runny cuz it will thicken and you will want to drink it for ease. Also you can jazz it up with Stevia and/or protein powder.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    With my thyroid medicine, I have to wait 1 hour from the time I take it before I can eat anything, which usually means I'm not eating anything until my drive into work. I end up making a protein shake each morning, which I like because it is quick and easy. Other than greek yogurt, what are some of your protein filled quick/on-the-go breakfast ideas?

I do protein shake too but occasionally have homemade egg muffins, I put bacon and cheese in mine and you can grab a couple from the fridge running out the door, very handy, cheap and easy!

ETA: They're like mini quiches really I suppose but made in muffin tin!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe for some make-ahead quiche muffins. I just made some last night. Just reheat for about 1:00 and they're awesome!

Here's the recipe for 12 muffins:

4 whole eggs
    8 egg whites
    1 cup Jimmy Dean's Turkey sausage crumbles
    1/2 cup shredded cheese (we used marble jack)
    1 cup chopped broccoli
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/2 tbsp veggie oil
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt and pepper (to taste)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pam muffin tin. Sautee veggies and brown sausage (use a little olive oil if necessary). Combine eggs, egg whites, milk, oil, and baking powder in a bowl. Evenly divide veggie/sausage mixture in muffin tin (or I found that silicone muffin cups work awesome!). Then evenly divide egg mixture over the veggie/sausage mixture. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly brown on top.

Per serving (1 muffin): 74 calories, 2 carbs, 4 grams fat, 8 grams protein, 182 grams of sodium

You can substitute any veggies if you like or add more cheese. Just remember to adjust the nutritional content.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I boil and peel eggs on Sunday and toss them in the fridge for the week. I eat two hardboiled eggs everyday.
  • Its_My_Time
    Its_My_Time Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe for some make-ahead quiche muffins. I just made some last night. Just reheat for about 1:00 and they're awesome!

Here's the recipe for 12 muffins:

4 whole eggs
    8 egg whites
    1 cup Jimmy Dean's Turkey sausage crumbles
    1/2 cup shredded cheese (we used marble jack)
    1 cup chopped broccoli
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/2 tbsp veggie oil
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt and pepper (to taste)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pam muffin tin. Sautee veggies and brown sausage (use a little olive oil if necessary). Combine eggs, egg whites, milk, oil, and baking powder in a bowl. Evenly divide veggie/sausage mixture in muffin tin (or I found that silicone muffin cups work awesome!). Then evenly divide egg mixture over the veggie/sausage mixture. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly brown on top.

Per serving (1 muffin): 74 calories, 2 carbs, 4 grams fat, 8 grams protein, 182 grams of sodium

You can substitute any veggies if you like or add more cheese. Just remember to adjust the nutritional
  • Its_My_Time
    Its_My_Time Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks for sharing!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Some precooked chicken, or a protein shake, or both together. Add in a little date, and a piece of cheese and that's a good breakfast.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have to wait 30 mins after taking my triglycerides meds ~ so I will usually have some oatmeal, cereal or a omelet (very quick and easy...). Or banana with some Chobani.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I got another egg muffin recipe that I'm going to make this weekend for the work week next week:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sausage-Egg-Muffins/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=111397100&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2013-04-27&prop28=Feature_2&prop29=Photo&me=1

I'm not a huge fan of sausage, unless it's in gravy, so I'm adding ham instead.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Check out "thefitnessrecipes.com" they have a lot of good ideas
  • perficktangel
    perficktangel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a 40 mile drive to work every day, so most morning I make a green smoothie & drink it on the way to work. I include fat free yogurt, spinach (which you do not taste at all), a banana, some frozen mixed fruit & either a little water or unsweetened almond milk. If I need it a little sweeter, I add a little bit of stevia.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Special K chocolate and peanut butter Protein Meal bars!
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good ideas. Thx.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I'm running late to work - which is often - I usually grab a banana and a protein bar which are both easy to eat in the car. I've also made oatmeal and stuck it in a cup and just drank it on the way to work as well; it's not as bad as it sounds!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    On Sunday, whip up a batch of baked oatmeal made with protein powder and your fave fruit/nut/spice combo. Slice into portions (it comes out like cake/squares), pop in the fridge, you'll have a filling, delicious, grab-n-go, fairly high protein breakfast ready for the week :) (And yes, it's fantastic cold).
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I like my own version of a Bacon Egg McMuffin. Takes about 2 minutes to prepare.

English bagel (lowfat, wheat), put in toaster
    4 T. liquid egg, cook in small teflon skillet
    Pop 1.5 Tyson Precooked bacon strips in microwave, 30 seconds.
    1-2 T. Shredded skim cheese, sprinkle on top

Assemble, wrap in paper towel, eat at leisure.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own version of an egg/cheese muffin. I always keep hard boiled eggs on hand because they are my go-to source for protein in a hurry. I toast an Arnold's sandwich thin, slice a hardboiled egg on it, top it with a slice of cheese, and pop in the microwave for about 20 seconds, just enough to warm it and make the cheese melt. grab it and go! I also will pack this in my lunch sometimes and warm it at work for lunch. Around 250-270 cals, I have also spread it with Laughing Cow cheese wedge instead of the cheese slice. Makes calories slightly lower.