Hi, Im New :-), so please be gentle

Options
Hi Everyone, just wanted to say hi.. so ermm hiii and just wanted to see if anyone has any words of wisdom and advice they could share about their experiances and pitfalls etc.

I am here for support and likewise I will offer plenty of support back.

Thank you guys in advance :)

Replies

• Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/941846-how-to-lose-fat-for-noobs-part-2-long-version

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113288021&highlight=wavelength

Follow this guide^^

In the second and third link read the entire thread. You will benefit a lot from it. You will educate yourself a ton from reading it!! Do your homework! That is what helped me the most. I consistently lost 4-5 lbs a month following this. Don't over complicate it. It really is that simple. PM if you have questions I would love to help.
  • ochubbycheekso
    Options
    Thank you for the links I will take read.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

The best advice I can give you just starting out is to log EVERYTHING, good and bad. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed by all the data available. Pay attention to only calories.... for now.

Best of luck to you!
  • coolbonkers
    Options
    Fitness pal helped me realize how insanely I was eating. I recommend eating like you normally do for a day or 3 but document everything on this site. from every little snack or nibble to your actual meals. This helped me realize I had to make changes. It also helped give me a little extra motivation for watching what I was buying at the store. Me a have a severe sweet tooth so I switched to truvia its the all natural herb and it has no calories. I add this to my teas and coffee and what a difference it has made. Shop smart and exercise even if your just doing stretches and walking for 5 minutes thats better then nothing and most of all you remember this. If you have the enrgy to complain you have the energy to change!!!! Good Luck :)
  • ochubbycheekso
    Options
    Thank you, and congratulations on your loss to-date
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Thank you for the links I will take read.

You're welcome anytime.

Also I remembered this one too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    welcome....logging my food made all the difference for me...good, bad, ugly - it gets logged....and there is no such thing as 'bad" food!! if I really really want something, I have it - either get some extra exercise in or have a much smaller portion than i used to, and I stay on track w/weight loss and live my life. It gets easier and easier the more it becomes a habit/way of life.
  • ochubbycheekso
    Options
    thanks michelle thats my biggest problem that i have something like unhealthy then i get down about it then go for something else bad i need to break the cycle and do the next positve thing i guess, thanks for your post
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Log log log and drink your water!!!
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Also, remember not to sweat it if you go over by A LITTLE occasionally. Remember that MFP already has you eating at a deficit, so if you are really hungry at the end of the day and you want a healthy snack, it's going to be okay.

There are conflicting opinions about eating at night. Personally I can't sleep if I'm hungry. And I've been losing. But in general, you should try VERY HARD to stay in your calories by planning in exercise and whatnot. I just mean that some folks get really uptight when they are 50 calories over. It's okay for it to be slightly different from day to day. Keeps your body guessing.
  • purple_power61
    purple_power61 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    don't get discouraged if you feel like you've fallen down.... we've all been there and are here for support if you need us!
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    and DRINK!
    Loads, tons, hectoliters of water
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    read the message boards for inspiration and encouragement. take all advice with a grain of salt. Eat as cleanly as possible, avoid processed foods. MOVE. get moving, find something you like to do and DO IT. Don't expect over night change- but DO expect change, gradually.
    Rely on your MFP pals for support and encouragement - never feel ashamed - we are all where you are or were.
    most of all, HAVE FUN WITH IT!
    it's fun learning about new exercise programs and recipes. I've discovered I LOVE healthy eating and hate junk food. Now I'd rather cook at home than hit the fast food place (ick)
    Love yourself first - you can do this
    Good luck!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    4 Thoughts...

The scale is not the only measure of healthy, its just the easiest .. so don't fixate on a number, Your weight will bounce all over the place, one day you might be up a lb the next day down 4, based on exercise, water retention, salt intake, and a million other factors, so though a number is a good starting point, the goal is to be healthy and live longer, not just be a number.

You are doing this for you, not anyone else, so when you feel defeated, remember you are taking care of you, you dont owe anyone anything, you don't have to answer to anyone, you only have to be true to yourself. So every drop of sweat you shed, every pound you loose is all for you. Getting there on days you don't want to is all for you. So pay in big to yourself, give it all you got, because at the end of the day you get all the benefits from all the work you.

Small goals, yes its easy to say I wanna loose 150 lbs, that is how i started... when I was 382 lbs, I said I wanna weight 230 ... I got discouraged right away so I rethought my plans and said I wanna loose 30 lbs in two months, and I did, then I set my next goal a few months out, and meet that one to, then my next goal a few months after that and before you knew I was down 106 lbs in 6 months. And You will plateau it happens to everyone, but just keep working and you will make it through. Today I am down 147 lbs and actually trying to put muscle back on now, so my goals, workouts, and eating habits have changed, but I have still set small goals for myself.

Don't be afraid to eat, this is a life style change not a diet, 1200 Calories a day might work for some people but as being a former big guy, I know for a fact there is no way I could of made it through a day without wanting to punch everyone around me on 1200 calories. I eat 4000+ calories a day to maintain my current weight, because of the amount of exercise I do. So you don't have to starve to be successful.

Hope it helps, and good luck.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm also a FIRM BELIEVER in breakfast! When you've gotten into the habit of not having it, it can be really hard to get back to eating it. And I'm no nutritionist. But I think there is nothing better for a persons metabolism than having breakfast.

My husband complains that he gets more hungry when he has breakfast so he prefers not to so he can last longer till lunch. My counterargument to that is that if you feel hungry, it's a good sign your metabolism is doing it's job and using your food as fuel rather than storing it as fat.

Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast with protein and whole grains.
  • mstrickland9
    Options
    Welcome, feel free to add me to your friends list, I found it really helps to have some friends on here who can encourage and motivate you!! Just log in every day, log all your food and drinks, drink lots of water, and exercise slowly and gradually build your way up. You can do this!! Good luck.
  • ochubbycheekso
    Options
    WOW huge thank you to everyone who has posted all really good advice, thank you so much
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome

Without this site I wouldn't have succeeded and if course all my wonderful MFP friends if I can help motivate u I will just ask xxx
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome

Without this site I wouldn't have succeeded and if course all my wonderful MFP friends if I can help motivate u I will just ask xxx

And I'm gentle lol
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey and a big welecome!

Just wanted to say make sure to take pictures and measure. Sometimes the scale wont move at all and its super frustrating but the pictures and measurements will tell a while different story.

O. And have more patients then you ever thought you could!

.jenn