New Here - TOo many calories?

liadult
liadult Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all - my wife and I are both hitting the MFP hard and so far love it - my wife is down 6lbs and I am down 4lbs in the past week. The thing is - allotted to my diet is 2090 calories a day and I feel it is difficult to hit this limited and find myself having an extra snack or adding things that I am fine without - is it so bad to be under the limit set by say 500 calories? I just don't feel I need the extra food. thoughts?

Replies

• squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    When you are hungry, eat.
    When you are working out, eat a bit more protein.
    If you are under, you are under.....just make sure you meet the nutritional requirements for the day....add a protein bar or more fruit and veg.
  • philhiro88
    philhiro88 Posts: 5
    I only post 1500kcal most days and 1800kcal gym days, nothing to worry about just make sure its healthy with the right nutrition and water
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    I have always been told by my doctor and nutritionist and have also read elsewhere that it's important to get as close as possible to your allotted calories. I NEVER eat all my calories and usually I have around 100 calories left by the end of the day and I steadily lose each week so far at least. Not sure how that will change with the more I lose but I will deal with that when the time comes.

I don't think having 500 calories left would be good , you eventually might slow your weight loss down by not eating those calories. Of course I am no expert!! Hope I have helped at least a little.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Maybe look at the quality of the foods you are eating. Go for some higher calories, nutrient dense foods. 500 is a bit much to be under your already reduced intake. It may lead to binging or feeling worn down after a little bit.

Good luck.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I'll echo chgudnitz here (don't look so surprised :wink:).

500 calories a day on top of whatever deficit MFP has already created for you (250, 500, 750, or 1000) may be okay for a while (only your body can say how long) but I've gotta say it's probably not the best idea long term.

If you have trouble meeting your calorie goals, go for healthy but calorie laden foods like nuts, nut butters, milk, olive oil, etc. Just 2 tbs of a natural peanut butter & 1 8oz cup of milk adds 300 *healthy* calories to your day. :smile:

I created a very large calorie deficit for myself for over 4 months and my metabolism slowed *way* down because of it. 3.5 months of eating a whole lot more (and continuing to lose weight) later, I think my metabolism is finally on the way back up.
    I don't recommend this approach. It has been both tedious and frustrating.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    I have to agree with squoozyq. Don't eat if you are not hungry. Don't worry about finishing those last 500 if you are not hungry.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I have to agree with squoozyq. Don't eat if you are not hungry. Don't worry about finishing those last 500 if you are not hungry.

Following this line of thought is a fantastic way to slow your metabolism.
    You can't always trust your body to tell you what it needs, especially since considering you're here on MFP, it probably hasn't been treated the best for a while now. For example, I can fill up on loads of lettuce and not ever be hungry at all. That so doesn't mean I wouldn't need to eat more calories as well as much more variety.

I wanted to edit what I said here. I don't mean to shove food in your face when you're not hungry. I'm suggesting planning out your meals and exercise better so that you can add in higher calorie and nutrient dense foods when appropriate. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.