Conservative C25K?

Options
Hey everyone!

I found a c25k program that seems a little bit slower and less intensive than the regular program. My question is: will this be as effective? I've lost about "6" sizes (Size 14/16 to 6/8) since January doing aerobics, walking, pilates and yoga. I have always wanted to be a runner. I tried c25K and found that I couldn't complete the first week running 1 minute, off 90 seconds thing.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm

This is the link to the program. Does it seem effective?

Thank you!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's effeftive if it gets you running. If Couch to 5K is too much for you right now, and this program is more gradual, what have you got to lose? As long as it's building you up to running, then go for it. I prefer the method in C25K where it specifically gives you run X, walk Y, later, rinse, repeat, but it's all the same, so long as it gets you to where you want to be.
  • explainsitall
    Options
    It's effeftive if it gets you running. If Couch to 5K is too much for you right now, and this program is more gradual, what have you got to lose? As long as it's building you up to running, then go for it. I prefer the method in C25K where it specifically gives you run X, walk Y, later, rinse, repeat, but it's all the same, so long as it gets you to where you want to be.

Thank you!

Do you think modifying c25K with 30 second run intervals would be a better way?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    "Better" is relative. I've seen a few places that before beginning any running program, you should have a good walking base, generally meaning that you can walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes with no problems. The program you linked seems to start you there, from the very, very beginning. I think it would be fine to tack a few weeks onto the beginning of C25K with doing intervals that were shorter runs and longer walks. Also, be very aware of your pace. For me, a big, big thing was I felt like i had to be RUNNING! during the running intervals, I never finished C25K. I stopped running at all for awhile. Then, I decided I'd try to run a mile, and I'd do it to warm up beofre myupper body lifting days. I realized, that I could go farther and run longer, by easing back my pace. For me, it's been better letting the endurance come first, while going at a slower pace. I definitely feel better while running when I'm not focused on being fast. Perhaps slowing down your runs might help you as well.
  • explainsitall
    Options
    "Better" is relative. I've seen a few places that before beginning any running program, you should have a good walking base, generally meaning that you can walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes with no problems. The program you linked seems to start you there, from the very, very beginning. I think it would be fine to tack a few weeks onto the beginning of C25K with doing intervals that were shorter runs and longer walks. Also, be very aware of your pace. For me, a big, big thing was I felt like i had to be RUNNING! during the running intervals, I never finished C25K. I stopped running at all for awhile. Then, I decided I'd try to run a mile, and I'd do it to warm up beofre myupper body lifting days. I realized, that I could go farther and run longer, by easing back my pace. For me, it's been better letting the endurance come first, while going at a slower pace. I definitely feel better while running when I'm not focused on being fast. Perhaps slowing down your runs might help you as well.

Thanks! I definitely think my pacing is off. I am trying to run full hilt rather than jog. I will try that.

I live on a farm and we have rough terrain (I go for walks/runs in our yard) and its a bit hilly and has lots of critter craters. Is it better to find a flat/even surface? Could that be causing my problems?

I appreciate your help