Am I eating too much food or not enough food???

Options
Ok, so I have been on this site for quite some time and I have it down to a science and I really do track everything i eat everyday. Here is my delemma.... I have my calorie count set at 1200 a day. I am currently juicing for 2 meals a day and eating a healthy dinner with my family. I avoid pasta, bread and potatoes. I pretty much avoid anything white. I am working out at Title Boxing at least 4 times a day. (high cardio, body weight and boxing for 60 mins) The problem is the scale isnt really budging. I have had people tell me that I might not be eating enough. Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    if you're not eating back your exercise calories, that is correct, you are not eating enough.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is there any reason you juice 2 meals?

whats wrong with pasta bread or potatoes?

and i really hope 'working out 4 times a day' is a typo....
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Are you losing inches? Do your clothes feel different? With your exercise plan it sounds like you are putting in alot of work!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have been on this site for quite some time and I have it down to a science and I really do track everything i eat everyday. Here is my delemma.... I have my calorie count set at 1200 a day. I am currently juicing for 2 meals a day and eating a healthy dinner with my family. I avoid pasta, bread and potatoes. I pretty much avoid anything white. I am working out at Title Boxing at least 4 times a day. (high cardio, body weight and boxing for 60 mins) The problem is the scale isnt really budging. I have had people tell me that I might not be eating enough. Does anyone have any advice?

Unless you are eating back exercise calories - 1200 is not enough.

MFP has you eat 1200 NET calories ... this means you eat your exercise calories back. The reason for this ..... 1200 calories are about what your body requires for basic function: heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. Eating less than 1200 NET .... means that your body must "find" nutrients somewhere else....... stored fat (yeah!) AND muscle mass.

Eat 1200 NET to preserve muscle mass.
  • AMAdams10
    AMAdams10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 4 times a week or 4 times a day?
  • nikky731
    nikky731 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat back my exercise calories I don't lose weight though....I started eating back half of my exercise calories.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Your exercise & calories burned is leaving you with a massive calorie gap. Your body is probably holding on to all of those calories. You should try to up your calories a bit more. Maybe to 1300 or 1400. I struggled with not losing weight for a month and a half. I upped my calories since I was working out a heck of a lot more and I was dropping weight.

I normally eat my calories back. Just test it out.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You would get better responses if your diary was visible so we could see what you're really doing.

1200 is too low for almost every reason - especially if you work out as much as you state.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You would get better responses if your diary was visible so we could see what you're really doing.

1200 is too low for almost every reason - especially if you work out as much as you state.
    Ditto
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The scale isn't really budging -- for how long? A day? 4 days? Or are we talking weeks?
    That'll make a difference
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 a day with MFP as well- I don't eat back ALL of my exercise calories, but I do eat usually 200-300 more calories on work out days (5-6 days/week). The increase in calories definitely helps me lose weight, but I'm still struggling with a balance...

Agree with everyone here, you need to eat more.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would measure everywhere. You are probably swapping muscle for fat. Your clothes should fit differently as well. I bet your post was a typo - work out 4 x a day in lieu of a week. How much water do you drink daily? I shoot for a gallon of water a day but at least get in 8 glasses daily. Lots of luck!!! :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to stop eating bread, pasta etc forever? Is there a reason you want to lose weight fast? Because otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failing. You'll never be able to keep up this diet long term.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Knowing your weight loss goals (pounds left to go, or inches) would help this thread answer your questions a little better as well.
    It's very possible you really don't have much left to go and might just want to work on toning up if you're already in a healthy weight range.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would measure everywhere. You are probably swapping muscle for fat. Your clothes should fit differently as well. I bet your post was a typo - work out 4 x a day in lieu of a week. How much water do you drink daily? I shoot for a gallon of water a day but at least get in 8 glasses daily. Lots of luck!!! :-)

No way she's building muscle on 1200 calories a day ... unless she's extremely petite
  • buckeyegurl74
    buckeyegurl74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I avoid pasta and potatoes at all costs. Yes, it was a type. Its 3-4 times a WEEK. Sorry about that. :-)
  • buckeyegurl74
    Options
    I had this really long answer all typed out and went to post it and it dissapeared. Grrrr

Heres the basics

5'2", I figure to stay healthy I need to lose about 40 lbs. I am jucining 2x a day because I feel better. I juice more veges than fruit and I feel really good. I am getting plenty of nutrients so I really dont look at it as a diet. I work out 3-4 times a week doing cardio and boxing for 60 minutes a session. My clothes do fit better. No budge on the scale. Just want to make sure I dont need to increase my caloric intake to cover the cardio I am doing. I do eat back most of the calories I burn but not all. I drink about a gallon a water a day. No coffee. No pop. I drink 1 Spark (Advocare) a day. Thanks so much for the feedback
  • MichaelWms
    MichaelWms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough. You are starving yourself and you are going to get fat, especially with training 4 times a week or day. Your body will be in starvation mode and store fat. Do you feel tired? Losing motivation? headaches? Problems sleeping? Its all probably cause your not eating enough.

I'd suggest increasing your calories by 500 a day! Stick with it no matter what for 4 weeks. AFTER four weeks evaluate your results...
  • buckeyegurl74
    Options
    So increase the caloric intake to 1700 a day for a month? Im burning 600-900 calories a workout. 3 - 4 times a week.

Do you feel tired? Yes
    Losing motivation? Yes
    headaches? Occasionally
    Problems sleeping? Yes getting to sleep and staying asleep

Thats why I put this post out here hoping all of you fabulous peeps will help get me back on track.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    hey there,

educating yourself on how the body uses calories is the most important thing you can do.

join this group... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map

READ all you can and then get to calculating for yourself.

You will be successful.

I am only new at this, but using this method I am down 10 pounds in 17 days! at 1600 cals per day. Not too shabby. I have a lot more to go, but I am feeling awesome and I am NOT starving.

:flowerforyou: