Is anyone out there doing HIIT?

Options
Hi there!

I just started doing the Daily Hiit (free workouts posted at DailyHiit.com) and so far am loving it! I love the variety in the workouts, and definitely the short time span (12-20 min each workout,) and the fact I can do them in my living room. Attempting 5 times a week, basically off the site's advice, will try that for 30 days and see where it gets me.

From everything I've read, the state that interval training gets you into really boosts your metabolism for the next 24 hours, so the point isn't so much how many calories you burn during the exercise, but rather the after affects. This is great, however it's a little difficult to factor this into my exercise log on MFP.

And despite that anyway, I'm supplementing with some targeted workouts (Pinterest), such as abs, arms, and bum.

Would love to hear of anyone else doing a Hiit program!

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I just listened to this podcast episode on HIIT, and thought it was very informative. The host had a Q&A with an actual researcher of HIIT training.

http://webtalkradio.net/internet-talk-radio/2013/04/15/brink-zone-radio-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-overrated-or-the-optimal-form-of-exercise/
  • Smash666
    Smash666 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started doing the turbo fire hiit classes a few weeks ago and I prefer them to regular cardio. Its more beneficial and takes less time. I'm going to have to check out that site you mentioned it sounds right up my alley.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just listened to this podcast episode on HIIT, and thought it was very informative. The host had a Q&A with an actual researcher of HIIT training.

http://webtalkradio.net/internet-talk-radio/2013/04/15/brink-zone-radio-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-overrated-or-the-optimal-form-of-exercise/

Thanks so much, I'll take a listen. The more info, the better:)
  • luticiaf
    Options
    I started doing the turbo fire hiit classes a few weeks ago and I prefer them to regular cardio. Its more beneficial and takes less time. I'm going to have to check out that site you mentioned it sounds right up my alley.

It really is great, well laid out. Just don't be surprised if that day's Daily Hiit isn't released till later in the evening. I just go back a week or two and choose a previously listed recording.

The other good part is the breakdown - check it out before you press play, to see what exercises you can expect, tutorial on how they're executed, and that way you can also prepare any equipment you may need.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, HIIT, when properly done which is rare, has same response as lifting, for those that only want to do cardio.

All out anaerobic effort for short period with short rest.

Response by body is to get stronger and if eating right build muscle, so indeed good fat burn and metabolism increase for upwards of 24 hrs.

But lifting is going to give better response because it's more muscle being used.

Other interval types is not the same strong effect, usually better lactic acid clearing response, better lung capacity, but not the same strength gains from it.

Just like lifting, to really push hard, gotta have fresh muscles. So day after day with same muscles is counter-productive.

Just don't try to do lifting and HIIT on different days, both need a good rest an recovery and repair day after wards, or you really won't make the improvements you could have.

And if lifting day, HIIT, lift, HIIT, lift, HIIT - you are just working the same muscles to overload day after day. Expect to quickly have bad results from such an arrangement, neither being accomplished very well or as good as it could be done.
  • kelsiekae
    kelsiekae Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm also doing Turbofire, which includes HIIT into the workouts. I'm loving it so far too. Feel so accomplished! :)
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i jump on a tredmill, and leave it OFF. I then sprint for about 20 seconds full out, and then slow walk for about 30. repeat until dead.

it's amazing because while turned off you have to force the tredmill to move rather than it run for you.

Ideally though soon as weather is permitting, I find a field or track, sprint it full out one direction, and walk back the other.

swimming works great for this too. swim sprint one length, then back float for a bit to recover, and do it again.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I created some HIIT elements into my cardio workouts. So I incorporate tire flips (16 reps), walk out for 10-15 seconds, then sprint 100 yards at about 90%. Then fast paced walk for 100 yards, and on to 20 yards of lunges with sprinting out the other 80yards, then walk. I also mix in bleacher sprints, bleacher squats, leg lift, and standding jumps in. Usually takes me about 35 minutes to complete a few miles worth fo track work like that. I have been seeing some great results for both weight loss and physical improvements in movement.

I still do 20 minutes of gym strength training as well each day.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Well, HIIT, when properly done which is rare, has same response as lifting, for those that only want to do cardio.

ya this. I find most people do it totally wrong. like up the treadmill to 8mph or so, like they think thats actually full out or something.

sorry ladies and gents, you are doing intervals. not hiit.
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    I didn't even know this website existed. Thanks for sharing!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I just started doing the Daily Hiit (free workouts posted at DailyHiit.com) and so far am loving it! I love the variety in the workouts, and definitely the short time span (12-20 min each workout,) and the fact I can do them in my living room. Attempting 5 times a week, basically off the site's advice, will try that for 30 days and see where it gets me.

From everything I've read, the state that interval training gets you into really boosts your metabolism for the next 24 hours, so the point isn't so much how many calories you burn during the exercise, but rather the after affects. This is great, however it's a little difficult to factor this into my exercise log on MFP.

And despite that anyway, I'm supplementing with some targeted workouts (Pinterest), such as abs, arms, and bum.

Would love to hear of anyone else doing a Hiit program!

What exactly have you been reading? The "after burn" is known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption - EPOC. Steady state cardio creates an EPOC of around 7-8%, while HIIT creates an EPOC of around 13-14%. This seems like a lot but consider for example:
    In a steady state cardio session you burn 1000 calories - EPOC at 7% means you burn a further 70 calories.
    In a HIIT session you burn 1000 calories - EPOC at 14% means you burn a further 140 calories.

...70 calorie difference. Really not that much in reality. There are a lot of benefits to HIIT and I prefer it to be honest as it can be much more beneficial in terms of increasing aerobic and anaerobic ability and VO2 max. It's much more rewarding in my opinion too.

This might be helpful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gII5EzxdZYo

Most accurate and latest research/analysis from Lyle McDonald
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-effects-of-exercise-intensity-and-duration-on-the-excess-post-exercise-oxygen-consumption.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-training-and-fat-loss-explaining-the-disconnect-pt-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-training-and-fat-loss-explaining-the-disconnect-pt-2.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-metabolic-adaptations-to-short-term-high-intensity-interval-training.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-interval-training-getting-to-the-point-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-interval-training-getting-to-the-point-part-2.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-vs-interval-training-coda.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/stead-state-versus-intervals-finally-a-conclusion.html
  • luticiaf
    Options

What exactly have you been reading? The "after burn" is known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption - EPOC. Steady state cardio creates an EPOC of around 7-8%, while HIIT creates an EPOC of around 13-14%. This seems like a lot but consider for example:
    In a steady state cardio session you burn 1000 calories - EPOC at 7% means you burn a further 70 calories.
    In a HIIT session you burn 1000 calories - EPOC at 14% means you burn a further 140 calories.

Thank you for the info, great example of EPOC, you made it make sense.
    I think the other benefit in this equation, in addition to the extra 7% EPOC, is just that the initial Hiit session is at higher intensity than I'd be doing a steady state cardio session, therefore shorter amount of time. I love that I can achieve something in 15-20min, and your post was definitely helpful in adjusting my expectations of what I would be achieving in the after-burn;)

I will take a look at those vids and links you sent.

Thanks so much!
  • luticiaf
    Options
    I created some HIIT elements into my cardio workouts. So I incorporate tire flips (16 reps), walk out for 10-15 seconds, then sprint 100 yards at about 90%. Then fast paced walk for 100 yards, and on to 20 yards of lunges with sprinting out the other 80yards, then walk. I also mix in bleacher sprints, bleacher squats, leg lift, and standding jumps in. Usually takes me about 35 minutes to complete a few miles worth fo track work like that. I have been seeing some great results for both weight loss and physical improvements in movement.

I still do 20 minutes of gym strength training as well each day.

I really like this program you're doing, as you've got some strength training in there, kind of Cross-fit style, would you say? A lot of what I found on the internet regarding Hiit was purely cardio intervals, which I agree has a place, but I enjoy something that incorporates strength training or weights. Mind you mine is all done in my basement - there are no tractor tires lying around...
  • luticiaf
    Options
    EatLikeAnAthlete: what do you log a Hiit session as on MFP, in order to earn proper calories?
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to get a a heart monitor like Polar FT4. It will tell you how many calories burned and you can just add it as HIIT.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And since HRM formula for calorie burn estimates is only valid for steady-state aerobic (HR the same for 2-5 min) exercise, and lifting and HIIT are neither steady-state nor aerobic, take about 1/2 of the reported calorie burn if closer to HIIT with cardio focus, or 1/3 - 1/4 if lifting with strength focus.

That recommendation is based on using a Garmin with Firstbeat algorithms that claims to deal with non-aerobic activity better, basically by not trying to estimate calories for the anaerobic effort that is seen.
    And the anaerobic effort is figured out by looking at your breathing rate, if the HR shoots way up and the breathing rate doesn't at same level, then it was anaerobic and not counted.

And recommend a Polar RS300X HRM if you go this route to even have a chance of decent accuracy, the cheaper Polars estimate a key value, VO2max, by assuming good BMI means good VO2max, bad BMI means bad VO2max. And that is a bad assumption as you can be overweight and yet very cardio-fit.
    That HRM at least has self-test and stat.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

This was an interesting listen. Thanks!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

ya this. I find most people do it totally wrong. like up the treadmill to 8mph or so, like they think thats actually full out or something.

sorry ladies and gents, you are doing intervals. not hiit.

oh no now I am confused... I do some HIIT workouts off fitnessblender.. am I wasting my time ?
    the only weights I have are dumbells which I change the weight.
    I do Muay Thai on mondays and fridays if that helps ?
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Options
    Well, HIIT, when properly done which is rare

How do you do it properly?

For high intensity how high do you need to go? E.g. How many mph on the treadmill for how long?
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump - anyone??