Eggplant- love it or hate it?

Options

Replies

• jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Love it. My favorite is stuffed eggplant. You hollow out the eggplant, chop the pulp and sautee it for about 5-7 minutes, add in half a chopped onion (white, yellow, or sweet but I like white best), one small chopped tomato, and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Sautee until most of the liquid is evaporated then stir in as much feta as you like. You can scoop the mixture back into the eggplant shells, into a bell/ pablano pepper, or baking pan. YOu can sprinkle on bread crumbs and Parmesan if you'd like-- I don't as the feta is cheesy enough for me-- and bake at 350 for 10 minutes or so.

This sounds delicious. Im definitely going to try this.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    When its sliced very thin, battered and deep fried. Not thin enough and its a little slimy to me
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Love it but don't eat it often as it is notoriously absorbent - and will suck up all the yummy oil it has been prepared with.....
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    LOVE

Fix it any way and I will eat it and LOVE it
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Fantastic when cooked well, but nasty if not.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love it. I use it for eggplant parmesan and eggplant pizza. My fave! I've never tried the stuffed eggplant before. I'll definitely have to try it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like it, but definitely not a favorite veggie. Baba ganoush is probably the best way I've had it. Though moussaka and eggplant parmesan are both realy tasty.

I only like it if it's in a recipe. I don't care much for it just grilled or roasted like I do most other vegetables.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just can't get over the texture, no matter how it's cooked. I've tried to like it :(
    But yours looks beautiful!
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like it so much,
    try these 2 Arabic dishes very healthy with roast eggplants and olive oil...

http://www.dish-away.com/2012/02/mutabbal-recipe-eggplant-dip.html
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/eggplant_dip_baba_ghanouj/
  • UglyPlantBasedKitchen
    Options
    I wish I liked it. It tastes like dirt to me lol There are a lot of things I wish I liked but can't stomach it. I would have more variety
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Parmesan is delish. I have a lighter recipe that my husband loves, which requires no frying. Just baking. I also love grilled eggplant and eggplant in pasta.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Baba ganoush... smoked eggplant puree. absolutely delicious. Here's a recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/baba-ganoush-the-best-in-the-world-67570

oh ymm I will try this!!
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    I just can't get over the texture, no matter how it's cooked. I've tried to like it :(
    But yours looks beautiful!

thank youu!!!
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    This is the absolute best stew I have ever tried!

http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/spicy-peanut-eggplant-and-shallot-stew/

that sounds amazing. will try
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    Love it. My favorite is stuffed eggplant. You hollow out the eggplant, chop the pulp and sautee it for about 5-7 minutes, add in half a chopped onion (white, yellow, or sweet but I like white best), one small chopped tomato, and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Sautee until most of the liquid is evaporated then stir in as much feta as you like. You can scoop the mixture back into the eggplant shells, into a bell/ pablano pepper, or baking pan. YOu can sprinkle on bread crumbs and Parmesan if you'd like-- I don't as the feta is cheesy enough for me-- and bake at 350 for 10 minutes or so.
    yum yum yum, thanks so much for sharing this!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered eggplant, and I love it!

I found a healthier meat lasagna replaces the majority of meat with eggplant, and it is SO FREAKING GOOD!

Here is the link:

http://www.marthastewart.com/336865/healthier-meat-lasagna
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Meh. Is it o.k. if I merely like it, depending on how it is prepared?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Love it :) like it sweated and baked so its crisp
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the texture so I don't like it so much by itself but I'm fine if it is mixed into other things. OR smothered down with onions and shrimp or made in a rice dressing with ground beef.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! It's my favorite food really. Eggplant parm, eggplant lasagna, eggplant boats( with mushrooms, cheese & breadcrumbs), roasted, baba ghanoush, in pasta, sauteed with onions and mint and added to quinoa with feta. I could go on and on! :love: