HATE Working Out

Options

Replies

• eros8801
    eros8801 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    " You're one work out away from a good mood. " I hate this saying ; but it rings true.
    It helps me to put on clean socks and tennis shoes, even if I'm lounging around after work because then AS SOON AS I FEEL THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF ENERGY, I can get out the door and drive 5 minutes to the gym.

I listen to my ipod in the car on the way there, then I plug it straight into the ear plugs and walk into the gym with MY MUSIC playing instead of the gym's music.

I am also a huge fan of the DARK MOVIE ROOM at the gym. That way I don't feel like I'm on display.

I HATED my first five minutes of working out last night. Hated it. But, I made it to 25 minutes and only used to be able to do 5 maybe 10 minutes on the eliptical trainer.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else out there HATE working out? All I hear is, "It gives me energy and makes me feel so good!" I get grumpy, and dread it. I try to get in at least 3 workouts (30-40 min) a week, but I am struggling to find the motivation. Any tips!?!

Oh and I should mention, I travel for work, and am gone 4-5 days a week.

13594206.png

1. are you eating enough? exercise + undereating makes you feel really awful and grumpy (aka "hangry", i.e. hungry + angry), plus feeling tired, weak, lacking in energy and can cause binge eating

2. maybe it's the kind of exercise you're doing. low intensity steady state cardio bores me half to death and I'm sure I'd feel very grumpy if I was forcing myself to do that several times a week. Choose a kind of exercise that you enjoy
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hated working out. In fact, I made my own exercises here on MFP which I called, "Hateful Exercise, 30 minutes," etc., etc.

I took time, months, in fact, before I slowly began to realize that as I was running (which is my main form of exercise), I was beginning to not hate it.

I've been laid up and prevented from exercising for over a year due to a car accident and subsequent surgery. I was given the go-ahead by my surgeon to begin running again about a month ago, but I only started last week because I was dreading it. I hate it all over again. But I know I must do it. Weight loss is just too slow & sporadic with dieting alone.

Keep trying. You'll get there.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it to. Nothing seemed more boring than going to the gym and doing the elliptical or the treadmill for an hour. That is when I discovered a boxing class. I looked forward to going to this class everyday. Then I discovered Crossfit. Starting doing both classes and was so excited about working out. Crossfit led me to lifting weights in the gym. Now I love going to the gym. I warm up on the treadmill and then do my weights. What made me start loving exercise was group classes, which opened my eyes to other aspects of fitness that I loved. So just like everyone on here is saying you have to find something you love to do.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    When someone says "I hate working out" I can't help but be cynical and think what the person is really saying is "working out isn't as easy as watching TV so please give me permission to lose weight without it" That's how I used to feel at least so may I'm just speaking from my own perspective. I agree with what people are saying about finding exercises you enjoy more but the bottom line is working out will always be more difficult than just sitting.

Also, for me at least, the increased energy people talk about comes not directly after my workouts but in my daily life. I see so many people shuffling around like I used to who clearly don't do any form of exercise. These are the people who are tired going up a few stairs, walking to/from their cars, the people who by the time they're 40 need to be dropped off in front of places, and who just can't wait to get off work so they can sit in a chair at home instead of a chair at work.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Suffer the pain of discipline now or suffer the pain of regret later. I didn't come up with that saying but it is so true.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you like.

Do a 12 week program which will keep you excited

Set PR's

Reward yourself with yoga on the weekends for working out during the week.

Exercise at a time where it doesn't take away from something else (I work out at 5:45AM so my day feels longer)

Make a Home gym

Exercise at home

Get a gym partner

My gym has TVs on all machines. I go during my show times on days I cannot make it in the AM and watch my show.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    As someone who travels/works a lot, I find that I do better if I schedule it in. Just like any other meeting that I don't really want to go to, I make it part of my day and put it on the calendar. That helps a lot with the motivation issue, especially if you are used to having a fully scheduled day so it just becomes one more thing.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I traveled the most for work, I probably had the highest TDEE. I walked everywhere that was possible. I would find cool places where I was staying to walk around and check things out. I could walk for hours if I found the right places. I'd walk in the morning, I'd walk at night. If my hotel was close enough to where I was working (I did my best) I'd walk to and from work. There was so much new to see that it didn't register that I was out walking for exercise. I was out enjoying the new places I was staying.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Find something you like to do. When I travel I love to get a run or walk in while wearing my Garmin HRM. I get to see a new place first hand and track my workout. I take pictures along the way and it's a great memory. I hate most cardio machines and classes so I skip them. I personally love, lifting, ice skating, running, tennis and yoga... so that's what I do. Body composition is 80% diet, 10% genetics and 10% training - or so they say.
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Find AWESOME workout music. Make it your hobby to track down and create the perfect playlists. Forget you're staying in place on the elliptical; pretend instead that you are at the best dance party ever.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else out there HATE working out? All I hear is, "It gives me energy and makes me feel so good!" I get grumpy, and dread it. I try to get in at least 3 workouts (30-40 min) a week, but I am struggling to find the motivation. Any tips!?!

I pretty much hate cardio. it makes me grumpy. and hungry. which makes me grumpier.
    a nice afternoon walk is fine or a bike ride for enjoyment-but I don't do cardio workouts.
    strength training makes me feel good, though.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. Working out doesn't have to be awful though. When I was traveling all the time, I'd just bring a pair of jogging shoes and walk/jog/skip whatever around wherever I was - take in the sights & sounds of a different place. You can always do yoga, jumping jacks, etc. in your hotel room too. "Working out" = moving more, not making yourself miserable :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Is your diary accurate? If so, you don't need to be exercising if that is all you are eatting. Eat to fuel your body, and you might enjoy exercise more.

Totally agree with this! 730 calories for a whole day? That's putting you at malnourished.

and will make you grumpy. eat!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I used to hate working out. It got so boring!

The trick is to try a lot of different workouts, appreciate them all for what they are worth, and pick the one that lights your fire. I've only liked two workouts in my life - Club KO Kickboxing and CrossFit. It's pretty clear to me now that the only workouts I'm going to like are high intensity and social.

I'm doing CrossFit now four days a week and I'm hooked. What's interesting though is that the few times I've been on a treadmill since starting CrossFit, I've actually enjoyed it. It might be because I'm not forcing myself to run every day so, when I do, it doesn't seem like such a chore.

I know this sounds crazy for someone who doesn't like to work out, but another trick that has worked for me is to do it in the morning. It's too early to think about it, you don't have all day to rationalize not going and you get it over with so you can enjoy the rest of your day!
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As you myself, I don't believe that working out should hurt. Especially not if you are unfit! Stop at once if it is not pleasurable. Do something else or try again later. If 10 minutes is fun but 12 is too much, stop at 10. Do this daily and in a while, the sun will be shining and unknowingly you will have done it for 20 minutes! Find something fun. I discovered I like tennis table! At 50!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't like cardio. At all. I feel like a spaz trying to keep up with zumba or aerobics. My boobs flop all over the place when running so I don't do it.

I only do yoga, and I love yoga. I look forward to yoga. It makes me feel fabulous. (And some of the poses are really hard!)

Some strength training is okay, but I don't belong to a gym so it's basically just a couple dumbells for me.

Oh, and I take walks and bike rides with my kids. Gardening and yardwork are another form of exercise for me.

As others have said, find what you like--anything that gets you moving. It's better than feeling anxiety over daily exercise because you really hate it.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have to always change my workout music to get into it. I upload new music every week.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    ATTITUDE!!:flowerforyou: (makes all the difference in the world. Also finding the right activity for you.)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i concur with the other posters; try a bunch of stuff and see what works for you. aqua zumba. belly dancing. think outside the usual treadmill or running.