It's life. Let's live it.

Options
Life happens. The good and the bad. The problem I had was that I would let both of them cause me to self destruct. When good things happened, I celebrated and ate poorly. When bad things happened, I turned to food for comfort. The pounds kept coming through good times and bad and all of them were wrapped around a messed up psychology and relationship with food and exercise. So, after a serious health crisis in December of 2011, I finally came face to face with my own mortality and had to come to grips with how I wanted to live or die. It took a crisis to get me to change my life and replace bad habits with good habits and attitudes. It hasn't always been a smooth journey and I have had moments where my decision to change my life was challenged.

Case in point: I have recently gone through things that would have been excuses to go back to my former way of life. All of these things have happened to me in the past 4 weeks. My uncle passed away. My niece had a baby who has a rare genetic disorder that will make her life difficult if she lives. My dad had a heart attack during a medical procedure and is now recovering. My mother-in-law developed pneumonia and had to spend a week in the hospital - she is 89. And, to top it all off - I broke my collar bone and have been dealing with a busted wing.

I had moments when I gave in to my old habits. I blew it for about 2 weeks and regained back some of my weight/progress I had made. Something clicked at that moment and it was the fact that life happens and sometimes it is messy and ugly. But, that is no reason for me to self destruct. So, I got back to my diet and exercise and determined that this was not just a weight loss journey, it was a renewal of life journey for me. The weight I had gained back is now gone and I am now losing new weight again. I am eating well and exercising. This is not about losing weight, it is about enjoying the time I have in this life. We cannot choose the things that happen in this life or the times in which we live, but we can choose how to live through them.

Replies

• FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That's a great outlook and great lessons learned through the recent and ongoing hardships. You're making great decisions and actively finding positive solutions which work for you instead of going the easy and comfortable route. It's commendable, inspiring, helps teach me lessons in dealing with things when "life happens". *Stands up and applauds.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The Stoics of old could not have put it better.:smile:

Thanks for this post.
  • Jedil
    Jedil Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks MFP buddy!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    i agree 100%, well done!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

Thanks for your inspiring words!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Well said! I wish you the best of luck as continue on your journey for healthy living...living every day to the fullest. You should be proud of yourself for finding strength during such tough times!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Preach!

I love reading this :)