Are carbs really that bad?

Options
I have noticed I have been running over on my carb goal, but I am avoiding white stuff and eating whole grains, brown rice,lots of fruit and greek yogurt. Actually the fruit and yogurt put me over the sugar goal as well. A lot of plans say to eat only 30 % carbs but I am even over mfp's generous carb allowance. Do I really need limit eating whole grain bread and fruit?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I personally don't. I haven't had an issue yet.

If you have a medical reason to watch your carbs or your sugars than I would but if you don't and are getting them from better sources (fruits, veggies, whole grains) than I wouldn't really worry about it. I regularly go over my carb amounts due to fruit
  • ochubbycheekso
    Options
    i think as long as your within your calorie allowance for the day, and you have stuck to the less refined carbs i dont see a problem.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Are you able to stay within your calorie goals and still feel satisfied? If so, then keep doing what you're doing.

The problem for many is that too many carbs (even whole grains and fruit) tend to make them crave more carbs, or does not leave them feeling satisfied. More protein and fats tend to help with both of those issues. You don't really need grains. Eat them if you like but they are not a necessity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil...they're just one of the three macro-nutrients. I concern myself far more with the quality of my carbs than quantity.

That said, MFP's default macro settings are pretty carb heavy, so if you're going over those, you're probably really lacking in either the protein or fat department or both. They are essential nutrients as well...far more so than carbs. In that RE, you might want to pull back a little and make sure you're getting your protein and fats in there.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of controversy over carbs. Every 'diet' has always been telling people what they can and can't eat in forms of protiens/fats/carb retrictions.

Personally, I found my best and most linear weight loss by cutting out carbs, not getting over or at least not too far over 100g. I'm not a marathon runner, or even a 5K runner, so I don't need the carbs to supplement. If you are, you may want more than my goal.

You need at least some carbs for your liver and kidneys (and many other organs) to function properly. It also helps synthesize protein you take in for energy and muscle tissue, which you would sacrifice on a extremely low intake of carbs.

I avoid bread and pretty much all grains because of gluten allergies. Lowering my carbs and bringing up my protein/fat intake has been the best change for me as my energy levels have skyrocketed and I've been losing weight on a more linear basis (when I stick to my plan).
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't think carbs are bad at all. Whole wheat bread and fruit are good for you.

With macros I try to hit one gram of protein per pound of body weight, and I'm around 15 - 20 % fat intake naturally. The rest is carbs, and I regularly go over what MFP sets for me. Weight loss is slow but happening when I'm on a deficit.
  • jemrie
    jemrie Posts: 25
    Options
    Just took a look at my food diary and realize I don't go over my goal much but it's not uncommon for me to be in the 185 to 200 range. Maybe I will try to make one meal low grain, like if I have brown rice during lunch or whole grain bread, i will limit carbs for dinner. I defininetely don't want to give up my fruit. I have been satisfied though I don't feel deprived when I eat so staying in my goal has not been difficult. I do about an hour of cardio daily. What I really need to watch is sodium darn that's a hard one.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Your body has a limited capacity to store carbs and an UNLIMITED capacity to store fat. Excess carbs are stored as fat.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you are getting results it is OK. It is one of those "it it ain't broke don't fix it" things.

Generally speaking, when fat-loss is the goal, it is good to plan carbs to be lots of vegetables with a few fruits & starchy whole foods added in.

We are all different & some can get good results eating a large amount of fruit & starchy carbs while others need to limit them for the best fat-loss results.

As tricksee stated, excess carbs will be stored as fat so it is important to pay attention to how your body responds to they amounts you eat.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Your body has a limited capacity to store carbs and an UNLIMITED capacity to store fat. Excess carbs are stored as fat.

If they are combined with excess calories.

A calorie deficit, paired with higher carbs won't make you store fat.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't like them because my body burns through them so quickly, causing me to just crave more and also the more I eat the more I want naughty food - like pizza, sweets, etc..
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil...they're just one of the three macro-nutrients. I concern myself far more with the quality of my carbs than quantity.

That said, MFP's default macro settings are pretty carb heavy, so if you're going over those, you're probably really lacking in either the protein or fat department or both. They are essential nutrients as well...far more so than carbs. In that RE, you might want to pull back a little and make sure you're getting your protein and fats in there.

Yep that is my problem. I have a tendency to not eat protein rich foods and being vegan makes it difficult to hit the fat number at times as well. yeah I know I can add more oil to my cooking but then my food is gross.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs to function to its optimum potential and create energy through ATP. Not all carbs are bad, but some are healthier than others. Try to go with the healthier option in moderation.:smile: