Buying used hrm

Options
mllst18
mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
Is there anything wrong with buying a used hrm? I want to get one of the polar FT7, but I don't have the money to get a new one. Anyone see any issues with buying it used? Obviously I would disinfect it before use!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think it's like buying anything used... if it shows signs of abuse or the seller seems like a scammer, I'd stay away. But if it's in reasonable shape and the price is right, go for it.

I'm selling my old Suunto now, and it's got a lot of life left in it. You just have to find the right one from the right seller.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    How much would you be saving? I just bought new on Amazon for ~$70. I had ordered one from Buy.com (Rakuten.com) for $49 (included $20 instant rebate) but the marketplace vendor hadn't shipped after 2 weeks so I had the order cancelled.

@ETA: I'd definitely consider buying a new chest strap though.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    First of all, I need to get my glasses prescription checked, since I thought the topic read "Buying used ham".

That aside, the only issue I can think of about a used HRM is the battery in the chest strap. Some are replaceable, others are not.

My Polar is really old, but keeps perking along on its permanent battery, but someday it will die. The wristbands typically have replaceable batteries. So I would be a bit wary of a heavily used chest strap that does not have a replaceable battery.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Didn't think of the battery life. Great call, guys! Thanks!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitors.com/90036747.html?productid=90036747&channelid=FROOG

74$, free shipping

I don't know how much your used one costs.

If you're paying 50$ plus shipping and then maybe have to buy a new chest strap (15$ plus shipping) - might as well buy it new.

Maybe wait a week or two til after payday and buy a new one?