How far off is MFP's calculations of calorie burning?

Options
I feel like they calculate how many calories I've burned WAY higher than what I actually have.

10 minutes of jogging they're working it out that I've burned off 300+, my wii fit says 130ish.

Am I better off listening to my Wii and putting in my own calories?

I don't want to be eating back calories that I didn't actually burn off!

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    They are way off in my experience - I'm not sure about the Wii, but I got a heart rate monitor since I was worried about eating back exercise calories as well, and wow what a difference! Like MFP will say I burned 250 on the elliptcal but it is really 100. If the Wii doesn't have an HRM I suggest getting one!
  • ttcfightingfat
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna listen to my wii. It doesn't have a HRM but I still trust it more than MFP as it's weighing me and monitoring my speed etc so is probably definitely more accurate! I'm gonna look into getting a HRM though :) thank you!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you don't trust the calorie burns you can adjust your activity level so you don't count your exercise, or follow the TDEE method...there are a lot of ways to track using MFP you just need to find what works best for you. I used to use a HRM and found it to also seem unreliable. Or just adjust the number MFP gives you manually.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    get a heart rate monitor to get a better estimate.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii for calories burned.

For the jogging, it tells me I can jog a 5k in less than 30 minutes - I am not entirely sure I could jog a 5k - maybe on a completely flat surface. I can walk one in about 50 minutes. So, I figure my Wii activities are less intense than the equivalents in the database.

Have you tried the EA Active? It is a fun way to add strength training if you start getting bored with your Wii Fit! Zumba is also great!
  • ttcfightingfat
    Options
    I use my Wii for calories burned.

For the jogging, it tells me I can jog a 5k in less than 30 minutes - I am not entirely sure I could jog a 5k - maybe on a completely flat surface. I can walk one in about 50 minutes. So, I figure my Wii activities are less intense than the equivalents in the database.

Have you tried the EA Active? It is a fun way to add strength training if you start getting bored with your Wii Fit! Zumba is also great!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I ran 2k in the 10 minute free jogging. I think it maybe calculates it differently as it's on the spot though? It'd be much different taking bigger strides but getting tired more quickly. I've got zumba and just dance for wii too :)