Do I need to eat all of the calories set for me?

Options
So my set daily calories is 1600, but after entering in my food plan for the day, I still have about 400 calories left. Is it recommended to eat all of them?

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you have to lose. If it's just a little weight like 10 lbs yes. Because it's easier to stall and it's easier to get obsessed about those 10 lbs and severely restrict yourself and mess up your metabolism. But, if you have a hundred or more then losing up to 3 lbs a week isn't going to hurt and you are already eating so many calories (some have an allowance of 3000 a day) that not eating back 500 or so isn't going to hurt.
  • leahayliffe
    Options
    Most people have told me it's very important to eat back your calories - however I think that as long as you feel satisfied there is no justification in eating when you're not hungry. Your body will let you know when it needs food.
  • Mizpenguin
    Options
    Before you make a decision about you goal calories, I recommend reading this article about eating your exercise calories that someone from MFP wrote: (The article's a little long, but you can skip to the bottom after he gets through the basic 3 points of metabolism)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Did you set your daily calories to 1600 or is that what the website told you that you should be eating based off of your height and weight and other factors? I think the website is well calibrated. I'm 5'5 and 1/2' (on good days I call myself 5'6'!) and the website told me to eat 1460 calories per day to lose 1 lb a week. I just started one week ago, but when I stepped on the scale I saw a weight loss of 1.5 lbs.
  • nmensen18
    nmensen18 Posts: 39
    Options
    The website set the calories for me to lose 1 lb a week. I was surprised by the amount it allotted me and makes me wonder how many I was consuming before!