Ladies - what to wear to swimming?

Options
Hey,

I recently joined a new gym near my house which has a pool and sauna. I haven't been swimming in three years which is mostly due to the fact that I feel self conscious.
I want to start swimming Because I've been told it's a great excercise and will help for those days where I don't feel like running on a treadmill. However, I don't know what to wear! I wont feel comfortable in a normal bathing suit (one day hopefully) as I will feel too big. Should I wear swim shorts? Or would that look odd? I also found swimming leggings online but I don't want to feel like people are staring at me in the pool for being too covered lol.

Also, what to wear in the sauna?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a swimsuit with a skirt attached....as if that little skirt would actually make me look any thinner when I was morbidly obese lol. I found that it was annoying when I did water aerobics. Went to a simple tank swimsuit and that is really the most comfortable. Just like with anything else in the gym I learned to focus on what I'm doing and not worry about what anyone else thinks. You're there for fun and fitness, not to impress anybody. Wear what is comfortable for the workout you plan to do.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i like to swim naked, but since this is a public place i tend to wear my speedo bathing suit....it has the raceback so, my straps don't slide.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I usually pack my swim ssuit and go in normal clothes but i live in alaska
  • MsFree09
    MsFree09 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a swimming class and the first day I wore a one piece (fitness swimsuit so the girls don't get unruly) and some workout shorts. Now I just wear the one piece by itself because I don't care anymore. I'm there to workout and I'll be under water most of the time anyway.
  • fantalisious
    Options
    I do swim in the fall and i wear a 1 piece swim suit. Here is a good website where you can buy swimmer 1 piece swimsuits. :happy:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/30423.htm?color=206
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well, what I've realized is that a bathing suit is a bathing suit, and to some degree there's only so much you can do. A three inch skirt attached won't really change the shape of your body, but it might help how you feel about yourself. :]

I'm VERY self conscious. This is the first year since I was like 5 or 6 I'll be sporting a swimsuit. It'll be something along these lines:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/some-like-it-haute-one-piece
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/mystery-and-moxie-one-piece-in-plus-size
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/bathing-beauty-one-piece-in-teal-plus-size

Look for things with ruching around the middle. Very slimming. Patterns are good, too :D
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Land End makes cute swim skirts. They are longer than your average swim skirts so you will feel totally comfortable. I get their tops too because they have great ones with underwire for support. Some are a bit pricey but they do have good sales. I always get mine on ebay :)
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what body type you have. I have a very hourglass shaped body, so all my extra weight goes right to my hips and thighs. I hate my thighs~ so I could never wear anything high-cut. I typically wear a 2 piece, and the bottom piece is a skirt that covers my thighs a little.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I really like the tank swimsuit top and the boy short swimsuit bottoms, at any size I'm at :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like swim shorts. I am old though. :laugh: I am not comfortable in a 2 piece around my grandchildren and I find the shorts more practicle and more comfortable than a one piece.
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Land End makes cute swim skirts. They are longer than your average swim skirts so you will feel totally comfortable. I get their tops too because they have great ones with underwire for support. Some are a bit pricey but they do have good sales. I always get mine on ebay :)

Oh yes, if you need the support they have great underwire tops.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    One piece swimsuit. Only you are going to judge yourself, others will only see someone who is trying to better their health by being there. Just do it as Nike says. You can always walk out to the pool with your towel wrapped around you for the dreaded walk from the changing room to the pool.
  • misseseaj2010
    Options
    I have a plan black halter top one piece. I attached a link for it below (I have it in 2X). I feel self conscious wearing a swim suit, but I think the black helps hide a little and smooth things over. I feel more comfortable wearing a regular bathing suit then one with more fabric, I just feel like it draws more attention to you when you are wearing something out of the ordinary.

Maybe you could try one some that say "slimming" or I think some will say like "control panel" or something like that.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=52005&vid=1&pid=384946012
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I swim twice a week. I have a speedo bathing suit, swim cap, goggles, and a hrm on when I do my laps. Shorts would be annoying while doing laps. Seriously, you're there to workout. Its not a beach.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    As a swimmer (6 days a week 2 m. a day) who started at almost 300lbs, I can tell you that the first time or few times in the pool are daunting. The real thing to overcome is your perception of yourself. Really people are not watching and judging you. Most of them are there to have fun or exercise just like you. That being said, if you are serious about swimming as an exercise, pick a suit that meets those needs! Speedo makes some exceptional suits for fuller figured women. High backs and chest, thicker straps and better lower coverage. These suits will support you and make swimming easier. I promise you, once you establish confidence,others will see that in you and not give a second thought to what you are wearing. Good luck!
  • grandmacar
    Options
    I like the high neck swimsuits, as the straps don't slide and it keeps me all in place, with swimming shorts. I just feel more comfortable in them and no one pays any attention to what I wear.
    Here are some examples of high neck ones. http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/browse/searchResult.php?goSearch=Y&searchKeyword=high+neck&search-submit=Submit
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    No ones looking I promise. Get yourself a good swimsuit made for working out. The quality will hold up better with all the chorine it will get exposed to. I personally love speedo and they can last me for 6 months before they start to wear.

Board shorts if you feel you need to cover up but you will ditch those soon after starting up a good swim routine.

Swimming is a great exercise hope you enjoy.

Swimoutlet is a great website for gear. I also swim with a waterproof mp3 player it helps to keep me from getting bored.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Swimming laps for exercise is totally different than hanging out at the beach. No one is going to judge you or really even look at you. They are all there to do their own thing, get fit, etc. Get a speedo or "race" type swim suit at a sporting goods store, not a cutesy one from the mall, those fall off your shoulders.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have a TYR competition 2 piece suit that works great for swimming laps. I ordered from swimoutlet.com.
  • 4littlebees
    4littlebees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, what I've realized is that a bathing suit is a bathing suit, and to some degree there's only so much you can do. A three inch skirt attached won't really change the shape of your body, but it might help how you feel about yourself. :]

I'm VERY self conscious. This is the first year since I was like 5 or 6 I'll be sporting a swimsuit. It'll be something along these lines:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/some-like-it-haute-one-piece
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/mystery-and-moxie-one-piece-in-plus-size
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/onepiece-swimwear/bathing-beauty-one-piece-in-teal-plus-size

Look for things with ruching around the middle. Very slimming. Patterns are good, too :D

I have the bathing beauty listed in black and red...amazing suit! I wore them right after I had my little one. The ruching does wonders.