Post workout snack necessary?

Options
Hi guys- any input here would be appreciated.

My workouts are at the end of my work day- usually around 5:00. I typically spend 35-45 minutes on the elliptical and then 20-30 minutes lifting on the weight circuit. My typical burn is anywhere from 300-450 calories.

My question is- do I actually need an official Post Workout Snack if I am headed home and will be eating dinner around 7:30? Whatcha think??

Thanks!
Melis

Replies

• swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, a good shot of protein within 30 minutes of a workout for muscle recovery and repair. Even if it's just a scoop of protein powder in a glass of water or milk.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    It is always wise to replenish your system with something that is protein rich immediately following a workout, this improves muscle repair (especially if you do any kind of strength training). I think you should have something small, like a protein shake or some egg whites, or a 1/2c cottage cheese.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes, a good shot of protein within 30 minutes of a workout for muscle recovery and repair. Even if it's just a scoop of protein powder in a glass of water or milk.

Agreed
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

My question is- do I actually need an official Post Workout Snack if I am headed home and will be eating dinner around 7:30?

Thanks!
    Melis

Do you feel fine without having a post workout snack?

If the answer is yes, then my answer to your above question is No.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I say go with how you feel. If I work out for that amount of time and intensity, I get hungry within about 30 minutes. Waiting another hour past then to eat tends to make me grumpy and want to overeat at dinner time. A few Tbs of raw almonds, a yogurt, or even a Nutrigrain bar are usually enough to hold me over. But if you feel fine until dinner and don't find yourself wanting to chow down everything in sight, it's probably okay to wait.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No, not at all.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    The answer is no, you don't need to. There is no magic 30minute window after workouts or any of the other mentioned stuff. It's total rubbish.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if the protein is necessary after light aerobic exercise...
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The answer is no, you don't need to. There is no magic 30minute window after workouts or any of the other mentioned stuff. It's total rubbish.

I agree. I used to have a post workout protein shake until I got it straight from the man who made protein shakes a must-have (Dr Scott Connelly, creator of Met-Rx) that it is not important at all. It was all just marketing to sell a product. And did we ever fall for it!

It is fine to just wait until you get home & eat your next meal.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Need? No.

I eat a snack when I'm losing weight because I can feel the blood sugar drop, but that's the only time.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think that you should get a snack in post work out for muscle recovery.

Carbs for the replenishment of glycogen stores; and lean protein to help repair muscle tissue.

Chocolate milk is known to be a great post workout drink. Mixed with even just half a scoop of protein powder and you are not starving your muscles.

EDIT: That being said, I do think it depends on the intensity of your workouts, if you lifted weights or not and if it was just cardio.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I hope not. Sometimes I'm hungry and have something immediately post workout, other times I don't even think about eating.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try a small chocolate almond milk today and see how I do. Hope ya'll have a great day!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    No it is not necessary as long as you are meeting your macro goals at the end of the day.

It is not possible to deplete glycogen stores with a normal 60 minutes workout and the glycogen will be replenished with normal eating.

Protein synthesis or repair takes many hours and the protein you eat through your normal diet will be enough to provide what you need. There is no magic window.
  • hamasehfallah
    Options
    the "you HAVE to eat something within 30 minutes of your workout" myth is complete and utter bull****.

as long as at the end of your day you are meeting your macronutrient needs of protein, carbs & fat to meet whatever your goal is (building muscle or losing weight) then it doesn't matter when you eat. Or really, it doesn't even matter WHAT you eat - as long as you are filling those macros/calories. IIFYM. If It Fits Your Macros. I wish more people would just follow this and stop with the "i can only eat asparagus and tilapia and brown rice and protein shakes and i HAVE to eat every 3 hours!" BS
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Common sense tells me no, it's not important. My body isn't stupid and has enough reserves of things it needs for muscle repair that as long as my daily intake is reasonable no damage will be done.

I am yet to see any convincing evidence that eating protein within 30 mins is required.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting that I haven't been eating right afterwards...just drinking water on the way home and then dinner. I haven't felt the worse for it either. I do eat to the IIFYM mindset...

I appreciate all the input! :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    we are all over the place here, huh? after my 6:30 am workout, i have juice and a cheese stick. after my 7:30 Pm workout, i do not.

listen to your body and if you're hungry, eat!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    On my gym days (45 mins strength, 20 min cardio) I make sure to eat more protein, so I have a protein bar afterwards.

On the occasion I forgot, I ended up getting crisps from the shop. By the time I've travelled home (or gone food shopping after like today), and got cooking I'm too hungry.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting that I haven't been eating right afterwards...just drinking water on the way home and then dinner. I haven't felt the worse for it either. I do eat to the IIFYM mindset...

I appreciate all the input! :)

Honestly given the above information I wouldn't go out of your way to change this habit, especially if it compromises adherence.