Seeking Opinions: Am I exercising too much?

ccgisme
ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi All,

I feel like I've really hit my stride managing my food intake with MFP and in increasing my exercise, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm exercising too much.

I've been working out to varying degrees seven days most weeks. My "work outs" include aikido classes, C25K (I finished Wk 3 D 2 this morning), walking on the treadmill and lifting weights. On the days that I do the treadmill, I shoot for 3.5 mph for 30 to 45 minutes or I put on my backpack - I'm gearing up for a trip in early June - and walk at a 3 mph pace and vary the elevation from 0 to 10 (my treadmill goes up to 12). I also log mowing my lawn as it takes 75+ minutes and nets me about 1,000 calories.

I never run on back to back days, but I'm not taking a rest day - all active rest. I'm losing weight while eating between 1700 and 2200 calories per day (my lose 1.5/lb per week goal is 1900). I've lost 22 pounds and 4 inches off my waist in two months. Given that my BMI makes me "obese" I don't think the weight loss has been excessive.

So what do you think? Am I exercising too much? I don't have a good bike or elliptical (in other words a low impact cardio option), should I focus on lowering the impact of my cardio workouts?

Thanks!
Chris

Replies

• deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,379 Member
    I worked my way up to 7 day a week for workouts. It sounds like yours are probably more intense than mine. I've cut back some recently because I was sick for a couple weeks and then on vacation for a week. Before that I did 45 minutes of elliptical in the morning and the evening. I did crunches, push-ups, and leg (knee) exercises every other day for my "strength" training.

For strength training you should do heavy and light days or work upper body and lower body on opposite days. For cardiovascular workouts I think every day is fine.

Let your body be your guide. If it feels OK to you then go for it. You don't want to burn yourself out on exercising but you seem to have some variance built in that will keep you interested. Don't have too large of a calorie deficit though.

it sounds like you have it under control.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Considering that people training for an Ironman often workout 20 hours a week or more, I don't think there is anything like "too much" working out on some absolute scale. :happy:

The issue is whether you are maximizing what you need to do in order to get to your goals. Fitness gains happen during recovery -- that's when the muscles repair themselves. Also, there is a danger of over-training where you are getting less gain per time spent instead of more.

But again, there isn't any absolute measure of this. What is over-training for one person is under-training for another. Some people can run two days in a row and some can't. Some can work out more than 10 hours a week and some can't. Some can work the abs and back one day and the legs the next and others have to space out their strength training.

So... is there some reason you think you are working out too much? Are you tired at night? Not looking forward to working out? Having trouble sleeping? Not seeing the gains you would expect for the work you put in? Sore all the time? Getting nagging injuries? Those are all signs of over-training.

If you aren't experiencing anything like that... then it's probably not a problem.
  • last25
    last25 Posts: 83
    For how long do you workout a day? 1 hour? 2 hours? And did you say you worked out 7 days per week? That is too much in my opinion (but that's just me and of course it depends on what you are doing). I mean I'm currently working 6 days a week (the Insanity workouts) and I feel burned out. How do you do 7? :noway:

It's not a great idea to do the same workout everyday b/c it can lead to both over-training and stress injuries. You also shouldn't do intense and difficult workouts every day of the week, since that will also eventually cause problems. I guess if you're keeping it fresh, in other words changing it up and not doing the same workouts everyday it's okay. But still your body needs at least one day to rest and repair the muscles that are damaged during workouts. Proper rest will allow your muscles to recover and grow.

If you insist on the 7 days a week thing then at least leave the 7th day for a short walk, yoga or stretching of some kind, something very low intensity. I hope this helps and that I answered your question somewhat?

Good luck and keep up the good work. You're on the right track just don't over do it!! :wink: Your body will tell you if you are.

The typical signs of over-training include (from about.com):
    * Insomnia
    * Achiness or pain in the muscles and/or joints
    * Fatigue
    * Headaches
    * Elevated morning pulse
    * Sudden inability to complete workouts
    * Feeling unmotivated and lacking energy
    * Increased susceptibility to colds, sore throats and other illnesses
    * Loss in appetite
    * Decrease in performance
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Over training is more of a mental thing than a physical. You can over train while doing very little, or while doing a lot. It depends more on your attitude. If you find what you're doing is working for you, then don't be afraid of it.
  • ccgisme
    Considering that people training for an Ironman often workout 20 hours a week or more, I don't think there is anything like "too much" working out on some absolute scale. :happy:

The issue is whether you are maximizing what you need to do in order to get to your goals. Fitness gains happen during recovery -- that's when the muscles repair themselves. Also, there is a danger of over-training where you are getting less gain per time spent instead of more.

But again, there isn't any absolute measure of this. What is over-training for one person is under-training for another. Some people can run two days in a row and some can't. Some can work out more than 10 hours a week and some can't. Some can work the abs and back one day and the legs the next and others have to space out their strength training.

So... is there some reason you think you are working out too much? Are you tired at night? Not looking forward to working out? Having trouble sleeping? Not seeing the gains you would expect for the work you put in? Sore all the time? Getting nagging injuries? Those are all signs of over-training.

If you aren't experiencing anything like that... then it's probably not a problem.

Point taken on the Ironman comment :laugh:

The only nagging pain I have is in my shins. This is the root of the comments about low impact - treadmill and interval training can be jarring and I'm still at 257. So, I think maybe there may be an issue there. I'll watch and delay a day or two on my run if I need to. Of course, I walked 75 minutes on a treadmill with my pack last night and turned around and did a 40 minute interval session this morning, so that could have something to do with it as well! :noway:

I'm trying to take the long view this time. I've burnt myself out on being healthy several times in the past. I have lots of energy and motivation at the moment - I'm up before 5 every morning and in bed by 9:30 most days. I'm eating well and consuming a portion of my exercise calories every day - usually no more than 300 - 500 on days I burn 800 - 1000. Like I said, I'm in a good place. Just started thinking...

Oh and holy cow you've lost 108 pounds! WOW! Good for you! Your comments are that much more credible :wink:
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Chris,

I started at 272 and now weigh in at 183. I was a 42 waist now a 30. I did it the same way you are doing it. If you feel good, continue, if you are starting to feel some pain (not soreness) back it down. Pay particular attention to your diet and be sure to get the proper amount of nutrients that you need for this increase in activity. There are a lot of good web sites to check out.

As the post before me mentioned some Ironman folks train 20 hours or more per week. I am training for my first 4 triathlons now. I train a minimum of 3 hours per day. Swim, bike, run, P90X. Stay with the basics and you will do fine! Listen to your body!

Congratulations on your achievments! Keep it going!

Jeffrey
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    Isn't at least an hour a day of physical activity recommended by health professionals...really...look at our society

Keep up the good work!!
  • ccgisme
    Thanks everyone for your input and your kind words of support!

@Last25 - anywhere from 30 - 90 minutes a day. Never repeating the same work out two days in a row - but not paying as much attention to intensity from day to day - you might be on to something there. I do need to find more time for yoga

@Dom_m - You're so right about the mental component. What I'm doing is working - but my gut tells me to tweak what I'm doing so it keeps working. :wink:

@Jeffrey71 - Rock on! That's great. I'm planning a 5K in the late summer or fall with some friends. I could probably run one by the end of June, but I'd rather build up my base a bit before I pay money to do what I can do for free every morning :laugh:

@nisijam5 - TOO TRUE :laugh:

I neglected to mention that my flag football season starts next Tuesday. So that's one more thing I'll be doing. I know I'll be spreading out my running around that.

As for weights, I'm doing a very simple full body routine two - three times per week as a way of easing back in to weight training. Eventually I will break this down into multiple smaller routines focusing on fewer muscle groups - I grew up with a dad who had aspirations of being an amateur body builder. I've had my own weight set since I was 14. I'm pretty comfortable in that realm - although my knowledge is pretty old school!
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Chris, I am a beginner when it comes to exercise. I'm exercising just half an hour a day and planning to work up to an hour a day next month.

But, I noticed something interesting about your post. You mentioned having burnt out on being healthy in the past. That rang a bell with me.

Many, many times, I’ve gotten into losing weight, been doing really well, then hit a wall. The problem has been in not looking at it for the long term.

This time around is way different. I’m eating in a way that I love and not feeling deprived at all. In fact, I feel totally spoiled! And I’m gradually getting into exercise.

I’ve really damped down that all-or-nothing feeling of the old days, which can feel overly revved up. It so often leads to feeling defeated and deflated.

By contrast, I can see myself continuing this new, more moderate approach for the long term. It just feels more “right.”

If you’re feeling uneasy about the amount of exercise you’re doing, you might be onto something that goes beyond getting too much exercise!
  • I dont think it is possible to overtrain. Listen to your body, if you start to get aches and pains (especially pains) then you need to take a break but otherwise do what ever you are happy with doing.

I train 7 days a week, usually for more than one hour per day. At weekends i do 7 hours over the 2 days. I have worked up to this and i dont have any problems. As long as you are eating enough (healthy) calories to keep you going and your body is not screaming at you i say do as much training as you want.
This discussion has been closed.