Dinosaurs: Do YOU believe they exist?

Options

Replies

• TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Dinosaurs are the biggest scam perpetuated on the American public since the movie “The NeverEnding Story”.
  • PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    I didn't know facts were up for debate! In other news, I always call my mom t-rex because she has really short arms and she can't reach anything.

You've never met a creationist or an intelligent designist.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was unaware there was a dispute about their existence.

There is if you are a Creationist. Because science is apparently an elaborate hoax.

I believe in creation but a lot of people leave out the part in the bible that talks about the time of darkness and beasts roaming the earth... I thought that was about Dinosaurs but I could be wrong.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Does anyone want to talk dinosaur nerd or even anything during the Mesozoic? Permian extinction? Anyone anyone?

I can talk pleistoscene and palaeoanthropology nerd .... metozoic is a bit early for me. though it's all interesting

OOOO you like giant furry beasts and monkey men! I wish we still had giant sloths wandering around I'd love one for a pet. I just have this strange obsession with the animals right after the Permian extinction. How did they even survive? It blows my mind we are all genetic survivors.

This is a good thread we need more dinosaur posts.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Creationism and dinosaurs are not mutually exclusive. We have evidence of fossilized objects for half a century ago near mineral springs. Imagine what can happen in 6000 years.

Moreover, there is a difference between Creationists (God created) and Literalists (God created in seven days). Those creationists who are not literalists allow for the Earthto be much older than 6000 years.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Weren't Velociraptors made up by Michael Crichton? The biggest "raptor" they found was about waist high on the average man until the Utahraptor was found.

And I am agreed on the need for more dino-threads. I love me some dinos. :drinker:
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Alligators are pretty much dinosaurs and I believe in them.

This.thread.disappoints.

Coelacanth are real dinosaurs, that are alive today. Not even this pretty much talk.

You know whats cool is they are actually older than dinosaurs at least the family I dont know about the species, but lobed fin fish go back at least 400 million years! That's crazy! They are older than Nemo! Makes you think though if they survived...maybe there are still dinosaurs (with the proposed exception of birds).

Once again, I love dinosaur threads! Yay! Natural history!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm a Creationist, and I believe in dinosaurs. Did I just blow your mind? :wink:

And my vote would be an Ankylosaurus. Those things are awesome!

Do you prescribe to the young earth myth?

I prescribe to the fact that the Bible says a thousand years is like a day, and a day like a thousand years to God - so the first seven days of creation could have been any amount of time, who knows? None of us, we weren't there.

Sounds like a no, how about the adam and eve myth?

I guess the short answer is "Yes. I believe."
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm a Creationist, and I believe in dinosaurs. Did I just blow your mind? :wink:

And my vote would be an Ankylosaurus. Those things are awesome!

Do you prescribe to the young earth myth?

I prescribe to the fact that the Bible says a thousand years is like a day, and a day like a thousand years to God - so the first seven days of creation could have been any amount of time, who knows? None of us, we weren't there.

Sounds like a no, how about the adam and eve myth?

why are you derailing this thread (violation) and talking about religion on the forums (violation) ?

Reported.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I do! I hope Rick, Will and Holly Marshall made it home safe.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Weren't Velociraptors made up by Michael Crichton? The biggest "raptor" they found was about waist high on the average man until the Utahraptor was found.

And I am agreed on the need for more dino-threads. I love me some dinos. :drinker:

Yeah he exaggerated a bunch, never believe media. Also mixing cretaceous and Jurassic dinosaurs just annoyed me to bits. Why not just call it cretaceous park?
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    hrk7pf.gif

Just a little something, not that funny..but I would like a statue of a Dino..and whenever I go to Toys R Us I find myself infatuated with them..They had a robotic motorized one a few years ago that was pretty knarley
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Yeah he exaggerated a bunch, never believe media. Also mixing cretaceous and Jurassic dinosaurs just annoyed me to bits. Why not just call it cretaceous park?

Well yeah, there's that too. But I can see the park name choice being a simple close-your-eyes-and-point-at-name choice if they were just going to go with the most well-known dinosaurs since the majority of those were spread across millions of years. Jurassic really rolls a little better. I can't imagine some people knowing how to say Cretaceous.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Well yeah, there's that too. But I can see the park name choice being a simple close-your-eyes-and-point-at-name choice if they were just going to go with the most well-known dinosaurs since the majority of those were spread across millions of years. Jurassic really rolls a little better. I can't imagine some people knowing how to say Cretaceous.

LOL probably not. Anyways I felt sorry for the poor dinos all they wanted was a little snack. Damn kids kept running away.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I like the triceratops best of all.
  • Igotdisbish
    Options
    I would pass on seeing a Raptor though. Those things are scary.

like the Toronto Raptors? yea, they suck

I see how you did that
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I like the triceratops best of all.
    Mine are alll flabby. I have decent biceps though.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Does anyone want to talk dinosaur nerd or even anything during the Mesozoic? Permian extinction? Anyone anyone?

I can talk pleistoscene and palaeoanthropology nerd .... metozoic is a bit early for me. though it's all interesting

OOOO you like giant furry beasts and monkey men! I wish we still had giant sloths wandering around I'd love one for a pet. I just have this strange obsession with the animals right after the Permian extinction. How did they even survive? It blows my mind we are all genetic survivors.

This is a good thread we need more dinosaur posts.

the permian extinction was one heck of an extinction event!!! I can understand the fascination with that. Those kinds of things shape evolution, and it led to mammals taking over from reptiles basically.... without that we wouldn't be here... (the idea that there may have eventually been a highly intelligent reptile is an interesting one, I don't know enough about reptiles to know how plausible that idea is)..... Human evolution seems to have been driven by climate change and the need to rapidly adapt to different environments. The genus Homo arose following a series of very rapid changes in climate. When the climate was stable for a few million years before that there were all kinds of australopithecines but their brains were the same relative size as a chimps. It was only when the need to adapt to environmental changes arose that Homo habilis evolved...

ETA: hope I recalled that correctly and I'm not confusing extinction events... my knowledge of evolution pre australopithecines is pretty sketchy lol :blushing: I kind of remember some stuff about primate and ape evolution from uni many years ago but that's it...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I like the ones with the long necks.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I like the ones with the long necks.
    Which reminds me. Time for a beer!