Favorites in Salad

I love salad, always have, "dieting" or not. I also prefer my veggies raw over cooked. Anyway, I'm eating a lot more salad now a days and I'm looking for some new combos. I never used to like sweet in salad but I've found it's yum, I was wrong! What do you like in your salad?

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Oh boy. I am a huge fan of salads and I typically go over board when I make them. Some of the things I put in them:

Lunch meat (minimally processed ham and/or turkey)
    Whatever leftover meat I have (steak, pork, chicken breast)
    Dried cranberries
    Strawberries
    Apples
    Raisins
    Peppers (red, green, yellow . . . it don't matter!)
    Pears
    Peaches
    Nectarines
    Plums
    Chick peas
    Kidney beans
    Crumbled feta
    Blue Cheese
    Cheddar Cheese
    Pepperoni
    Artichoke hearts
    Avocado

Seriously. I can go on and on with the list of the things I put on my salads. Aside from the one that I make my husband along with mine I can say that I have never repeated another salad. I go overboard and one salad could feed probably two people. And I have a hard time going out and ordering salad because (tooting own horn) mine ROCK. LOL
  • I'll put just about anything on a salad. I like to use a tsp or tsp and a half olive oil plus the juice of about half a lemon as the dressing.

Two of my favorites right now are:

chicken
    High Energy Trail Mix
    blue cheese crumbles

or

roasted or blanched asparagus
    proscuitto that has been crisped in the toaster oven
    grated parmesan
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    I'm a huge fan of romaine lettuce LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

In my salads...

Cucumbers
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Grapes
    Apples
    Strawberries
    Chicken Breast

The strawberries, slivered almonds, and chicken breast with a poppyseed dressing is to die for! :)
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Blend up some mangos and pour it over a bed of romaine til its completed coated. Mmm.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Bed of mixed greens (straight from my husband's garden)
    red, yellow or orange bell peppers
    avocado
    tomato
    calamata olives
    pistachios

Yummy!

I like other things too...but not usually fruit. Although my friend did make a spinach salad that included diced apple and I did like it.
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Spinach and strawberries with a vinaigrette and sunflower seeds...to die for :)
  • Dawn7664
    Dawn7664 Posts: 30 Member
    Feta and strawberries and walnuts! Yum
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    last salad i made was a spinach salad with onion, orange bell pepper, roasted sunflower kernels (i prefer unsalted), and dried cranberries. added 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese and catalina dressing. yum!
  • veronikaf
    veronikaf Posts: 18 Member
    if i was just going to eat a salad, it would have spinach, peppers, cucumber, radish, carrots, red onion, an apple, and balsamic vinaigrette on it! but i like to add in other things sometimes too. here are some other awesome combos that i like

spinach + strawberries + feta cheese + slivered almonds + balsamic vinegar/olive oil mix
    spinach + other veggies of choice + feta cheese + sunflower seeds + dried cranberries
    kale + green apple + walnuts + raisins + dressing made from apple cider vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic, and pepper
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
    I Just use basic stuff. Lettuce, tomatoes, onion, avocado and light dressing. I put fetta in there sometimes and usually add prawns.