We are all different!

BamaRose0107
BamaRose0107 Posts: 635
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I say this because I have noticed a sad trend develop on these forums. I alot of us are passionate about our lifestyles expecially when we are able to be successful, but I am going to say something that some might not agree with...

No one, not even doctors will ever fully determine one specific way of eating and exercising that will work for every single person no matter what their situation. All of our bodies are different and need different things to function properly. So why do some people try to convert everyone else around them to eating the way that they do with out taking into consideration health restrictions, lifestyle ect? I have not posted in a while and one reason is that i don't want some ones idea of health shoved down my throat. There are so many roads that lead to health. I don't mind hearing other points of view or a friendly debate, but come on all arguments do is lead to stress and anger. I think we should all keep an open mind and remember that not everyone in the world has to agree with us. If we are all working toward a healthier future that is really all that matters.

There I said it!

Replies

• tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Wonderful post and I'm sure many others will agree with you as well. I left another site due to "watching" others get bashed when they would ask for help or ideas. Nice of you to speak up on others behalf :)
  • SilviaGG
    SilviaGG Posts: 19
    I AGREE WITH YOU. WHAT WORKS FOR YOU NOT NECESSARILY WORKS FOR ME!! LET KEEP IT UP.
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Yes, I think you will definitely get some strong replies on this one! There are a lot of ingrained opinions on MFP and sometimes they come off as judgmental. I agree that the best way for all of us to "help" each other is to be supportive...and give each other great ideas without the shoving-down-the-throat aspect.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    You're right! We are all different! Congrats on your success, you look AMAZING!!!!!!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Agreed Agreed!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    We're definitely all different. But we're also all similar in a lot of ways. :smile:

I don't agree with forcing ideas on others either, but I also don't see anything wrong with sharing what has worked for you and warning others if their habits seem very unhealthy. Sharing is how we learn, right? And learning is how we can all figure out what will work for us as individuals. Some people are more confrontational than others with the way they share, but I really do believe everyone here is pretty well intentioned.

Edit: Also, you certainly have the right to take anything you read on a forum like this for what it's worth (which may be very little). I wish you didn't feel discouraged from posting because you certainly have great ideas and experience to share with everyone, Bama! :flowerforyou:
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Yes! The best thing to do is just be helpful and kind and supportive to everyone here. If our common goal is health and not just "lookin' hot" (which is kinda nice if that happens ) then we are doing something right just by being here and logging in every day. That in itself is a positive.
    It's not a competition to see who is right and who is better. We all can get there with our own tweeks to MFP. Everybody has their own personal preference for exercise and nutrition as far as low carb. I see the most head knockin' going on about what exercise is the best or what food plan is the best.:mad: Everybody is different with different results.
    Being nice will help more folks than being a knowitall meanie.:heart:
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    That is so true. You could also say the samething about Religion.
  • cbullock115
    cbullock115 Posts: 110
    I couldn't agree more! Very well said!
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    I believe in sharing my ideas because like Littlespy said we are different but also similar.
    I wouldn't go as far as pushing my ideas down anyone's throat, but I do share :)
    I know I love getting some advice and ideas but I would back away if I felt people were telling me what I HAD to do, not what I COULD do.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    I loved your post and I agree 100%. We are all different and what works for one may not work for another. I think the most supportive thing we can do for someone is accept where they are and the choices they are making and then be their cheering section to help them succeed. When someone slips a little we should also be the helping hand that reaches out to help them get back on track. I personally have found a lot of support here at MFP and I have appreciated all of the positive comments. You do look amazing and it is obvious you have found what works for you and stayed consistent. Yay for you! :flowerforyou:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I agree, what works for one may not work for another. I don't eat as healthy as some or as unhealthy as others. I am unable to exercise as hard as some but I do what I can and hope it improves. This site helps me keep accountable and watch what I eat. This works for me. Others have things that work for them. I think all of us have the long term goal of getting healthier and I applaud us all for that. Great post.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I agree with your post also.............

I will admit that I do get my feathers ruffled when I lend advice to someone else and give a suggestion and then people start telling me that I should be giving others the same advise that I did for myself because it is unhealthy.

That will get me going into a firey debate really fast. I am trying to tone it down, but I don't like to be bashed because I believe a little bit more open minded than the next person.

i am very passionate about the way I eat and my lifestyle. it is changing how I think, feel about every aspect of my life, not just eating and myself. That means more natural cleaning supplies, recycling, using cloth shopping bags, etc..................
This discussion has been closed.