Has Anyone Tried The Miracle Noodle?

Eat2Win
Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
Today I saw these noodles at my Whole Foods store and thought WOW, these are an amazing find, but they don't look
all that appealing...........so I'm wondering "has anyone out there bought these and how did you prepare them, did you like
them?"
They are made from a root and so these noodles have zero calories and less than one carb..........yea, miracle for sure!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    I've had both the pasta version and the noodle version. They are OK so long as you rinse them really well, and they are better as an asian noodle than a pasta noodle, mostly because they take on the flavour of the sauce and asian sauces tend to have more immediate flavour.

They are a little chewier than normal noodles, and the texture sometimes freaks people out. I don't mind them as a stir fry or with a hearty pasta sauce, but they are no good for things like rice paper rolls or pasta with pesto, as the other ingredients don't overpower the noodle taste enough.
  • Eat2Win
    Pasta version? Do you mean they don't always come in liquid form?
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Shirataki noodles? Yep Whole Foods is where I first bought them.

I saw (on here) recipes for them from finallychenele i think is the person. What you HAVE GOT TO DO to make them more appealing is thoroughly rinse them (I rinse in bag and drain with my hand over them) and put them in a pan to "fry" them. Lightly spray the pan with some cooking spray and fry until they are dry. The consistency is like over cooked noodles but they really don't have a taste. If you can handle over cooked noodles, they are wonderful :)
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Shirataki noodles? I tried them in a stir-fry before. :sick: I don't think I'll try them again. :smile: I hope you like them better than I did. I really wish I could like them.
  • Alatariel75
    Pasta version? Do you mean they don't always come in liquid form?

I can get them here in spaghetti, fettucini, angel hair and wok ready. Different thickness and shapes!
  • Eat2Win
    Hmmmm, wonder what I'll do with them now............they seem a bit scarey now, lol. I paid 3.99 for 7 oz too!! and it's in liquid so I wonder what little I'll even have to eat by the time I drain, dry etc.....ha, ha. Well, if nothing else, it'll be an adventure thing.
  • Alatariel75
    Just drain the liquid off and rinse them really well, I then sit them in hot water for a bit. They aren't bad, don't be scared! LOL
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    I used them the other day, With just a quick pasta sauce with can toms mushrooms onions garlic etc soo filling and i think mine was like less then 100 cals all up! good for a day when your gone over and still need to eat dinner!
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    I think they're pretty similar to Tofu Shirataki (if not the same thing).

I really can't get past the texture and smell! I WANTED to like them, I just couldn't!
  • MimRob
    MimRob Posts: 24
    Personally I love them! I use them in anything with a sauce so they take on the flavour or I add them to soup to bulk i tout if I have run out of cals for the day. I only use the angel hair and I don't mind the texture. The do smell really bad when you open the packet, just make sure you rinse them really, really well before use.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    they have an off flavor, but if you are willing to wait, sauce and broth saturate them really well. i put mine in soups to give it more volume, and for the noodle texture. if you just dump sauce on them, it will taste funny. if you let it sit in the sauce for several minutes before eating (or in my case, in my lunch cooler until i heat my food) then you have a better flavor. :)

ps. it's also best, i find, to rinse them before use. gets the funky smell off them.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    I think they're fine... the "rice" version is a little weirder. They're more like tapioca balls than rice... I think the noodles are a better product. If you need volume I just make things with vegetables. You can make most dishes where you'd use pasta with different veggies.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    They are called slim pasta here but they are the same. I use them in spaghetti bol instead of normal spaghetti they are great. As others have said rinse them well first.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    I buy the Tofu Shirataki spaghetti noodles (House Foods brand). First, I rinse them really well in a mesh collander - I breathe through my mouth, because the smell of them is horrible!! Then I dry fry them in a non-stick pan or wok until they're dry. I season them with a bit of salt and garlic powder and some red pepper flakes - this gives them some taste and a bit of a 'kick'. Then I use them like I would spaghetti noodles. YUM! As others have said, the texture takes a bit of getting used to (they're more like chewy Ramen noodles), but when I'm craving a big bowl of pasta, they're not too bad.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    They're nasty, the texture isn't fixable and it's not just like (WAY) overcooked pasta, but actually like gummy worms sliding down your throat. Nauseating.
  • I've had them, and actually didn't like them that much because of the chewy texture. The "rice" shiritake was okay though. They do take on the flavour of sauce well. But if you don't like the texture, not much can save them.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Miracle Noodle.....

...sounds like a innuendo. I think those are frowned upon by the mods.

But seriously. I've had them. They are effective at killing my "ramen fix" when they come around.

You can eat, like - seriously - a gallon of them for 300 calories. Enough to make you sick. I don't think they have much nutritional value, but they do serve the "I gotta have f
    g RAMEN!!" cravings.

But I agree that you need to be sure to read/follow the instructions, because they taste kind of nasty otherwise. Well, not so much taste nasty, but smell nasty.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    i eat them pretty much every day - i make a vegetarian stir-fry thats under 220 cal, huge, and delicious!

you need:
    minced garlic
    minced ginger
    spray oil
    sweet chilli sauce
    lime juice
    soy sauce
    quorn fillet (or chicken for meat eaters, or leave it out entirely and just have veggies)
    wok ready slim pasta
    microwave steamer veggies (i use steamfresh broccoli, beans and sugar snap peas, but whatever you like)

fry a teaspoon of garlic and a teaspoon of ginger in a tiny bit of oil, then chuck in 75g of chopped quorn fillets (meat eaters, use chicken). fry until it's cooked, then chuck in about 5ml each of lime juice, soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce
    in the meantime, grab a packet of the wok ready noodles (they make the best stir-fry due to their shape), dump it in a strainer and rinse under running hot water for a minute or so, allow to sit and drain for a minute, then chuck in the frypan.
    microwave your veggies, chuck them into the pan, toss them through.

there, done.

massive dinner, yummy, and ready in 5.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    i totally don't get what everyone is going on about with the smell!

true, the liquid they're packed in doesn't smell that great, but it's not like you open the package and a stink rushes out and punches you in the face!

i open the packet, put them in a strainer and run them under water, and i barely smell it.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Maybe not some brands, but the Tofu Shirataki by House Foods *really* stink.

Your stirfry sounds awesome, btw. I make something similar with mine. YUM!