Tdee.

Options
kelbwjax
kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times, however I'd like for this to be put simply being that I am new to all of this.

*I know my Tdee # I know to eat 20% less to lose fat.
*I know that I need eat back the calories that I burn.
-But for what purpose? (I'm curious)

This would be much easier for me to understand if I knew how to set up my custom MFP according to my caloric intake and how many calories I need to be burning each week in order to loose weight and keep muscle.

I think what worries me is that my mind is stuck into thinking... less calories, less weight. But, according to my Tdee this isn't true.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you use TDEE, do not eat back exercse calories. They are already factored in with the activity modifier.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you use TDEE, do not eat back exercse calories. They are already factored in with the activity modifier.

Okay well that helps, Theres no way I could consume that many calories.
  • FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean about setting up your custom MFP, but if you mean adjusting your calorie and macro goals, go to Home, Goals, Change Goals, Customize. Then change whatever you need to.

if you want to change what shows up in your food diary, got to Food, Settings.

Since your exercise is included in your activity level for calculating your TDEE, you don't need MFP to tell you how much to burn, you just need to consistently do what you said you do when you chose your activity level. If you do substantially more than what is included in your TDEE, then I'm pretty sure you can eat back some of those.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true.

If this isn't true, what is the TDEE factoring in when estimating activity level?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true.

If this isn't true, what is the TDEE factoring in when estimating activity level?

Some people calculate for sedentary and eat back calories....I personally don't, but some people do this.
  • Requiembell
    Options

Not necessarily true.

This SHOULD be an estimate of your daily activity level, apart from intentional training, especially if you are using the -20% model.

For instance, if you are a brick layer, you choose Heavy exercise, 6 days a week.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this the other day & i found it really easy to understand

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Most people think less calories = less weight. But less calories also makes you more prone to binges, less metabolically active, causes you to lower your BMR by decreasing your lean body mass, and makes your exercise less effective.

The thing about eating a reasonable deficit from your total daily energy expenditure is that you're giving your body what it needs to thrive.

You can lose weight by eating at a steep deficit with iron will for a prolonged period of time. It causes more harm than good, and is seldom effective.
  • Requiembell
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

Yes that one is good and I have several others like it.

I think it is very hard for a lot of people to understand because they don't really know how the human body works and how to set a goal or what they are trying to do.

By in large, most people start out and are in the category of "i want to be super super thin so I want to stop eating" Which is not the right answer at all. But you have to convince them that eating good food is what will build the muscles that you need to burn the calories to loose the fat.

Although it is a biological process, it is the same principal as building a house. Old crap out, new material in, build it nice.

It isn't instant and depriving yourself of material won't help you. Hard work is the only thing that works. How nice of a house depends on how hard you work. And it is not an over night process.

Also, the more of an athlete you become, you more you need to eat. When I have an 8 mile run, damn it I need food! I just burned more in that time than most people do all day.

When you stop exercising, your body does not! The harder you worked, the harder your body works to put you back to normal.
    That is why you have a red sweaty face for an hour after you were tearing it up around the track or whatever.

You need to EAT! Food is not a monster, it is fuel, like gas for the car or whatever other metaphor you want to throw in there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,062 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true.

This SHOULD be an estimate of your daily activity level, apart from intentional training, especially if you are using the -20% model.

For instance, if you are a brick layer, you choose Heavy exercise, 6 days a week.

But MFP figures in a deficit WITHOUT additional exercise.

If you use a different site to figure your TDEE, you do NOT add in exercise here on MFP. Pick one or the other - don't try to hybrid the two - it won't work.

MFP + Exercise cals (on top of your chosen "activity lever')

or

An external TDEE calculator and DO NOT add in more calories on days you exercise. Just use the same numbers every day. (like the first reply in this thread stated.)
  • Requiembell
    Options

Since you posted one I always recommend, here is the chronic under eater hall of fame of MFP
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919346-still-think-your-1200-or-less-diet-is-a-good-idea
  • Requiembell
    Options

Since you posted one I always recommend, here is the chronic under eater hall of fame of MFP
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919346-still-think-your-1200-or-less-diet-is-a-good-idea