New to Calorie Counting with no self-control :(

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to MFP and have been reading so many great stories of how everyone has come so far and all the amazing progress that they've made.. Here is my problem..

I'm 24 years old, I am female, and I have a 15 month old daughter. For a long, long time now I've never really had motivational support to help me lose weight. It is an issue I've dealt with since I was around 15, maybe younger. I was always told "If you want it bad enough, it would happen" - But it just isn't that easy for me! Now that I'm an adult, engaged, and a new mom.. I'm finding myself looking back and asking "How did I get here?" Actually, no. I know how.. I let myself listen to all the talk and taunts and just stopped caring about myself. I now want to change that, for my health and for my baby girl.

So....I was wondering if anyone else has problems getting motivated? How do you -make- yourself get up and work out, or go for a walk so many times a week when life is so crazy busy and it feels like you just can't do it? :frown: I know I'm new but I would really love to hear from someone that has struggled with these kind of issues and has pulled through.

I'm not really looking for an instant life change but I am curious if it'll take a year or longer to start noticing a difference.. or even to start feeling better, healthier, and happier about who I am? Someone please help! I could sure use it...

Replies

• piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I used to be able to eat anything I wanted and never gain an oz. I got on the depo shot and that changed everything... I gained 25lbs and was miserable with my looks...

SO always tried to encourage me and take time out of his day even though he worked his butt off all day to go for walks with me and what not...but honestly I wasn't ready...

I came home, spent the summer miserable with my looks and one day it just clicked... I got a gym membership and got serious... I didn't need him holding my hand to get me to go walk... I wanted to go because I wanted to better myself... I got serious with the tracking because I wanted to be serious about it....unlike before when I was like ohhh I'm gonna do this but this oreo is delicious and I ate it and didn't log it...I wasn't serious then....

I have a friend that half *kitten* her workouts... She'll go with me to the track but she piddles and does maybe a mile and goes home... She eats whatever and wonders why she doesn't loose... She'll eventually get it and get serious or she'll just continue on her path it all depends on her...

Its great to have help and support and there is a ton of it on this site. But it all starts with you and when you aren't serious and can't make yourself get up and go do neither can anyone else
  • MistieWalters
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I know what you mean.. I've never felt serious about losing weight until I found this site and just by logging a day and a half so far I've realized how much a person can consume and never really notice it.. I'm determined this go-around to get to that end goal that I've been looking for. :happy:
  • MissMissyMiss
    Options
    I have the same problem :( i keep telling myself that i am just getting older and older and it will just keep getting harder and harder to get healthy the longer i wait... i have not reached that point that i like the gym yet but i have improved in my eatting, i found it is not as hard to snack better when you have to track to every snack you have :) i do manage to go to the gym about 2-3 times a week but it is jsut like you said you aren't looking for a immediate change, just want to get back on track, i have been on MFP only a few months now but reading all the post in the motivation forum helps me from time to time.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like. I'm on here every day now & the motivation on here really helps, and I try to comment some motivation to those on my friend list.

I haven't been overweight all my life - just the past few years. I was a dancer all growing up then got a boat load of health issues. Even though I ate pretty well, not being able to do much of anything short of laundry & making dinner caught up with me fast. I didn't even really walk more than maybe 10 minutes at a time, if that. I'm healthier now & finally able to work out again (started in January.)

I don't know what happened to my metabolism, but I have had to change my eating habits. A little over a year ago I tried setting the alarm on my phone to go off every couple of hours with a note of # calories. Basically spreading out my calories throughout the day helped me with better portion control & managing my hunger. It helped immensely & I noticed the positive within a couple of weeks so I've stuck with it. Try doing something like that for a bit & see if it works for you.

As far as exercise, I really don't think many people *want* to do it, at least in the beginning, even if they want to & have good intentions. But it's true what they say about forming a habit & getting addicted to it. I'm SO happy that I get to be active again, but it's still not an easy road. However you really absolutely feel amazing after a workout. Have you ever heard anyone say, "Gee, I really regret working out today."

Once you start, it's easy to keep going. Say you work out 3 days in a row - you're on a roll! You want to keep going! Chances are much more likely that you'll work out the next day than if you hadn't been working out. On the flip side, if you skip a couple days working out, it's really easy for it to turn into a week. Try making a schedule or routine & it's easier to stick to that. Even if it's just half an hour 3 days a week, it's a start, & you can go from there.

Like you mentioned - you have a daughter now & she is a main reason for you wanting to make this change in your life - so use it! If a walk sounds boring - take her. She's brand new to the world & you can introduce her to show much, even if it's just trees at a park or a bird on a telephone pole. Walk around & explore & look at animals & nature. :smile:
    I'm sure you want her growing up & eating well too, so use that as a reason for you to find new yummy healthy foods. Food is awesome! And healthy can often be yummy AND awesome! Play around & explore & find the good stuff together.

Good luck! :)
  • TigerPawsSC
    TigerPawsSC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When you begin, you need to understand that it is not just the end-result that will make you happy; rather, it's the process that will provide you with self-satisfaction. Every day that you go to bed knowing that you have worked hard and made good nutritional decisions, you will be pleased with yourself. Sure, seeing the changes in your body after a few months will be very satisfying. But you have to understand when starting that you're not putting in six months (or more) of hard work in order to achieve an end. Instead, there is a lot to be gained during the process, and you will learn a tremendous amount about yourself.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I can do it you can too.

I have a 3 year old daughter, I work 60hrs a week, my husband also works full time. I get up at 4.30am to exercise and I plan my food in advance.

You have to want it bad enough, then there will be no excuses.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I know what you mean.. I've never felt serious about losing weight until I found this site and just by logging a day and a half so far I've realized how much a person can consume and never really notice it.. I'm determined this go-around to get to that end goal that I've been looking for. :happy:

I know exactly what you mean. Who knew Mission tortillas had that many calories? White rice? White wine? Once you start adding it all up it is amazing how much one has been eating as just a little extra on or beside the plate.

The good news is, once you have looked at your numbers and seen where all the calories go you can give them the swerve. That is what makes MFP pal so powerful - power to ditch the crappy, high-calorie foods with next to no nutrients.

Don't give up. You are educating yourself into healthy eating.