Why are people not happy for you when you lose weight??

Options
Anybody want to help me out with this one?? Why are people not happy for you and wont even tell you congrats when all you do is try to be so positive to them and help them with their weight loss goals??

Replies

• cinema_goddess
    Options
    Maybe they're having difficulty with their own weight loss and it feels like it's being rubbed in their face when somebody else has (or seems to be having) an easier time of it?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    jealousy and their own frustration with you winning where they can't.
    Meh.

Don't let them hurt your feelings.
  • Judybowler
    Judybowler Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying....I try to be as positive as I can be, and try to make them look at how good they are doing...I compliment all the time and its just not good enough..ever...period...Im stressing over this and not once have they ever said congrats to me...but I still try to help them and make them feel as good as possible...thanks for your insights...
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Your making progress towards health, wellness & weight loss may seem to accentuate their inability to do the same. Rather than being happy for you, they are upset at themselves. Just one possibility, I'm no psychologist.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    They are haters. And they are lazy.
  • cinema_goddess
    Options
    They are haters. And they are lazy.
    This attitude works so much better to help motivate.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Pure envy. I can't tell you how many times people just shrug off the fact that I've lost 20 pounds and offer me some dessert. Do they not even understand the concept? I feel like some people are just out to sabotage me...:indifferent:
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of a ONE WAY STREET? Some people are just that...ONE WAY! I have a very dear friend who has not once given me any compliment. I've given her plenty. It is hurtful, but some people are just not into giving props to others. Just be you and do the right thing. Pi$$ on them if they can't give you a congrats on your successes!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think it is guilt and jealousy. I feel bad when I see people eating better than I do and when they lose weight I wish it was me (it is now and I am happy about that), but that never stopped me from saying something nice and positive. But, I am probably a special snowflake :D
  • cindypalm1
    Options
    Not sure but let me says congrats your tickers says 66 pounds lost that is awesome good for you and keep up the good work!!:wink:
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Most people are caught up in their own little world and don't notice much around them. It's icing on the cake (is that a bad metaphor?) if someone notices let alone compliments us on our progress. Fortunately you don't need their compliments to be happy with your improved health / fitness. You know what it took to get there and not everyone has it in them to persevere. Maybe they are jealous, more likely they are disappointed in themselves for not having achieved their goals.

I know I feel better about myself both physically (I can walk with less pain) and mentally (I am not so sluggish) long before anyone says anything about my weight loss. It took 20 pounds for my workmates to notice. Admittedly that was a big boost to my ego but I'm not stressing over the fact that people don't care near as much about my health as I do.

You can't make others happy with themselves.
  • christinet8504
    Options
    Most people are so caught up in whats going on in their life that they don't care/notice whats going on with others.
  • MamawChristy
    MamawChristy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Way to go Judy!! Woo hoo!!!! You will inspire them even if they say nothing.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    they haters and they jelly
    haters-to-the-left-o.gif
    jelly-wobbling-o.gif
  • xcmum
    xcmum Posts: 136
    Options
    Maybe they are happy for you but they don't know how to say it? I really suck with making positive comments and sometimes it doesn't even cross my mind until i think about something later and thought "oh i should have said that or this" but the moments past.

Your ticker looks like you are working really hard so keep it up.. You will get loads of support and compliments on here :)
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Some people are more self centered than others, and cannot get over their own negativity if someone is achieving their goals quicker than them. There are many reasons why people act the way they do, though. Could be guilt, could be resentment, some people just don't keep many people in their radar. Whatever the reason, just keep staying positive to yourself and to them if you care about them. :flowerforyou:
  • sohmui
    sohmui Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I find most people are happy and congratulate me on my weight loss. A few are concerned that it is is a sign of ill health. Some think it makes one look older. Basically, not everyone believes it is good to lose weight, for reasons for their own and based on their own experience. Best to believe in yourself and rely less on what others think.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Maybe they don't see weight loss as a success....it's like when I graduated high school...I didn't see it as a success, but everyone else around me was psyched up.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    because you are succeeding in something that they want to but don't have the drive to do so!

its jealousy and envy!

certain action of some show their true colours...and while it can be hurtful use that to push you to do more, to be better...

people suck in general...get used to it!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Jealousy and envy.