too skinny

Options
Some times i see these (usually girls) that are so thin they are too thin and they look malnourished but they pinch their skin and say "I'm faaaatttt". am i the only one out there that just wants to smack them?

Replies

• slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I have a cousin like that and I feel like smacking her.
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    *sigh* I used to be that way. Before you judge them....I was a professional ballet dancer and I was a size 2-4 at my peak. I was CONSTANTLY...CONSTANTLY being told to lose weight (already at 112-115 at 5'5"). I told the director that I'd quit and she'd be out a dancer who could learn an entire ballet in one day. She left me alone after that.

But I was always thinking I was fat, I was too big, my body needed toning, etc.

We don't know what kind of influences they may have.

What I wouldn't give to be even CLOSE to that again!
  • XcarlyX
    XcarlyX Posts: 26
    Options
    Thats how i was when i was like 13 lol that was 6 years an a hundred punds ago...I cant wait to b125 again lol
  • kirstyleed
    kirstyleed Posts: 9
    Options
    I was a dancer too (although part time professional) and I spent years existing on coffee and ciggerettes - at my lowest I was 98 pounds and I'm 5'4".

I'm lucky enough not to be overweight by much now - but the main reason I'm on this site is to measure my intake and chaneg my attitude to food so I am eating healthily. I am 37 and have a dreadful relationship with food.

So yes, I want to slap them too - as I know how it can mess up your life and body.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Anymore, especially now that I have a daughter and am trying to raise her with a healthy body image, I end up feeling sorry for those young ladies as it's not a reality, but unfortunately what they see in their own bodies. Society can be pretty tough on girls/women. We are fortunate to have each other to reinforce healthy attitudes to weight loss and strength training.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Some times i see these (usually girls) that are so thin they are too thin and they look malnourished but they pinch their skin and say "I'm faaaatttt". am i the only one out there that just wants to smack them?

Their self image concerns are no less valid than your own. They may even be worse off than an overweight person that is trying to lose.
    There is a lot of pressure, especially on young girls, to look a certain way. I have raised three daughters. They are all HWP and beautiful (take after their mom) but still have had issues.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I see this way to often on this site, why is it acceptable think this way about a "smaller" person, but if I were to say, "Sometimes I see these fat people that are stuffing their face with yet another cheeseburger, but all they do is complain about how overweight they are and how they can never lose weight...is it just me or do others just want to smack them? "
    How would I be perceived for a comment like this? It would be completely unacceptable, I just don't understand.....
    I will leave it at that, because topics like this tend to get heated.......
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I see this way to often on this site, why is it acceptable think this way about a "smaller" person, but if I were to say, "Sometimes I see these fat people that are stuffing their face with yet another cheeseburger, but all they do is complain about how overweight they are and how they can never lose weight...is it just me or do others just want to smack them? "
    How would I be perceived for a comment like this? It would be completely unacceptable, I just don't understand.....

Well put.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think of there being two types of these girls. The girls who genuinely have anorexia nervosa, and truly believe that they are fat, and those that say that as a way of being catty and making other girls feel bad. One of my best friends was anorexic, and even though I outweighed her by 40 pounds, she never thought I was fat. I told her once that when she said that it made me feel like she was calling me fat, since I was so much bigger, but she honestly thought I was smaller than her. Then I held up my jeans to her and she was amazed. It is really sad that when girls see something in the mirror that simply isn't there. Those other catty girls who do it for attention and to make other girls feel like bad do make me want to smack them.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options

Very well said.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    fight! fight! fight! :laugh:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I think of there being two types of these girls. The girls who genuinely have anorexia nervosa, and truly believe that they are fat, and those that say that as a way of being catty and making other girls feel bad. One of my best friends was anorexic, and even though I outweighed her by 40 pounds, she never thought I was fat. I told her once that when she said that it made me feel like she was calling me fat, since I was so much bigger, but she honestly thought I was smaller than her. Then I held up my jeans to her and she was amazed. It is really sad that when girls see something in the mirror that simply isn't there. Those other catty girls who do it for attention and to make other girls feel like bad do make me want to smack them.

I agree!!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not too skinny, but for the first time in my adult life, I feel like I am at a very healthy and fit weight (141 pounds at 5'6"). I'd still like to get my body fat under 20 percent, and that will take losing about another 5 pounds of body fat. I don't complain around people bigger than me that I'm too fat. I think that would be rude. But I have one brother-in-law who is obese (pushing 300 pounds, and he's not very tall) who seems to have no trouble criticizing my body every time we see them. He'll say, "Man, you're skinny. I sure hope you're not trying to lose more weight. You're too skinny already." It doesn't offend me, but it sure makes me uncomfortable, and I really don't know how to respond!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My son is always saying how fat he is, the skinny little twerp. He's tall and skinny. Lately he talks about eating healthier though which is a good thing, skinny or not..