Replies

• marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Tuna is more expensive, per pound, than other lean meats. Even at $1.00 per can in bulk the cost is $4.00 per pound; the usual price at my store is $1.50 or $6 per pound. Chicken is usually the least expensive option, and I always find pork for $4 / pound.

Beans in a can are much more expensive than dry. Check this site for directions and recipes for cooking dry beans.
    http://www.melissadarabian.net/book/#/2012/12/tip-tuesday-bean-there-done-that/
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Lentils are great, you can make Dahl with lentils, onion, spices, and tomatoes (tinned or fresh) are optional. You can add them to bulk up soups and stews too.

Chickpeas are awesome for adding to soups, salads, making into houmous, roasting them in your choice of seasoning for a crunchy and filling snack.

I make La Carmina's Bean Chilli from her Cute Yummy Time book, which is just different types of canned beans (you can choose what you like, you don't have to follow hers exactly, i tend to use a tin of mixed beans, a tin of kidney beans, and a tin of chickpeas) with tomatoes, oregano, jalapenos, and some other little extras. It's really cheap, easy, filling and you can make a big batch for the week. The recipes probably online but I have her book, so if you can't find it and want to know how to make it feel free to message me.

Chicken thighs are cheaper than breast and healthy so long as you remove the skin, they have a lot more flavour too and the bones can be used for homemade stock.

IDK what it's like in America, but here food is marked down the day before it's shelf life is up, so I tend to just buy whatever fruits, veggies, and meats are on offer at my local shops and safe a HUGE amount of money like that. I completely ignore use by dates, things tend to be good for at least a few days after those dates.

It's been said before but yeah, frozen veggies are awesome, and brown rice is super cheap in bulk.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • countessvonfangbang
    countessvonfangbang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tuna is more expensive, per pound, than other lean meats. Even at $1.00 per can in bulk the cost is $4.00 per pound; the usual price at my store is $1.50 or $6 per pound. Chicken is usually the least expensive option, and I always find pork for $4 / pound.

I don't eat meat except for fish. I'll get tilapia, trout or salmon if they're at a good price but I usually stick with canned tuna.

I'll definitely check out lentils Dahl sounds rally good.
  • CJforMe
    CJforMe Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump!
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I can't cook rice either :(
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I'm on budget I always go with beans beans beans. Guerrero's tostadas are cheap and only 80 calories for each one. I usually just slather it with a couple teaspoons of low fat refried beans, salsa and some corn then I'm good to go. Canned goods are always cheap and on sale at the grocery store. You just have to make sure it's the low sodium though.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Bump
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    There are some great recipes here!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    curry lentil soup