Run/Walk For Boston

Options

Replies

• AmandaLynn101103
    AmandaLynn101103 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just have to ask. How does this support people affected by the bombing? It is a great personal goal, but how is it helping the victims? I live and work in Boston. Friday I wasn't allowed to leave my apartment. I've volunteered on the Marathom medical team. My friends were caught in the bombing and my sister has ran in it. I graduated college with the MIT officer. How is this private challenge helping?

Great question, being so close to the situation I can see why you would have these questions. If you read what I have previously posted you will see that this indeed did begin as my own personal goal and way of dealing with the feelings I had from this event. I lived in Boston for a while and it is a place that will always be in my heart. That being said this wasn't created to heal the victims and make things like they never happened. I guess the best reference I can make is today at 2:50 there was a minute of silence held by many in remembrance of what happened a week ago. What good was that? It did not heal anyone, it simply kept those effected in the hearts and prayers of many who never even knew them. I see this as a similar gesture. We are not here to cure, we are just here to connect and remember those effected by this horrible chain of events.

As far as how does this help the victims, it is helping keep awareness and remembrance of these events. If you have read the comments you will also see people have posted links to things like the One foundation where people can donate money to those in need. That makes this a great place to share that information with people who are interested in the cause and likely willing to donate. Also this may help others find their own personal love for running and encourage them to join Boston next year for the marathon, even if its just to cheer others on. As someone from Boston I am sure you would agree that you would love to see nothing more than an amazing turn out of runners and those who support them at the marathon next year.

Also as previously stated this is great place to spread awareness of the situation. What have you been doing to help those in need? I would love to hear from you about what you have been doing or about anything you know of that would help those people out. We are here as one to show our support and if you can think of any other ways we can help out the cause please share them. This is a great group of people so far and I am sure many of them would be just as willing as I myself am to help out in any other ways we can :)
  • thebzax
    thebzax Posts: 55 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • healthfulnow
    healthfulnow Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I will do the pledge too! It was heart wrenching to see the videos of the aftermath, but heartwarming to see runners, volunteers, by-standers, and first responders do what they do best - show compassion with action.

Since 4/15 - I have ran 15 miles.

Thanks for your post - it is a daily reminder of lives lost and lives changed. Running this weekend in a 5K which will be remembering what has happened.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    19.06 through today.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    14.3 ran in another 5k race tonight!
  • thebzax
    thebzax Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just finished a REALLY long three-day walk from Edinburgh to Glasgow with my boyfriend, so that's 50 miles to add!

exercise.png
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    18.3 miles done, just running. Long run tomorrow.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    29.8 through today.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    29.0 miles through today including 6 in the rain early this morning. All run for Boston, marathoners, and victims of violence everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r0D4o660Mo
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Iv'e already ran for the facebook event for Boston and will run next week's marathon for Boston for those who never got to finish.
  • healthfulnow
    Options
    Previous: 15 miles
    Updated through 4/49 - additional 9 miles (this includes my first 5K run experience on 4/28)
    Current total - 24 miles

God Bless America!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    26.3 miles through yesterday! Sending love & prayers to Boston each run!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    29.6 through today, I have another 5k tomorrow!
  • vivaldirules
    Options
    6.0 more today for a total of 35.0 miles so far. Let's keep running for Boston and victims!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    33 miles through today #runningforBoston
  • healthfulnow
    Options
    Previous total: 24 miles

Updated total as of 5/1 - 31 Boston Strong miles!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    39.2 miles run for Boston!
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    44.88 through today
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    41.2 miles run for Boston
  • vivaldirules
    Options
    41.0 miles run as of yesterday. Persistent heel pain is going to make the next dozen or so tough but I am going to finish. Boston!