Question re: hours on my feet at work = exercise?

Beautifylgirl
Beautifylgirl Posts: 55 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have a question.
I work at a veterinary hospital where I work 14 hours straight. Some nights I never get off my feet and others I have time to sit down and do paperwork. If I'm already classified as the "nurse" section for activity level, can I still add my walking or being on my feet for 10 hours or so as exercise?? Tonight I've already done enought lifting and carrying to never feel like having to lift wieghts again.
Any ideas?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    That should be included in your activity level. You could change your activity level down and then add that in as exercise.
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    my inclination is to say no, don't add in any more exercise cals for all the walking. by selecting "nurse" in your profile that's already adding at least 200 extra calories a day (compared to someone who sits all day).

but i guess the real question is, how many calories does mfp allot you each day and do you feel like you're not getting enough food on those calories? if you feel like you're hungry all the time and burning more calories than you are eating back, maybe you should up it.

I'm a teacher so i get like 1500 calories for standing alot. I know that when I try to go down to 1200 (if i've gone over the night before or something) it's very hard for me and I feel very hungry, tired and irritable.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    I worked in a pharmacy and was on my feet for up to 10 hours a day so I completely understand where your coming from! Of course you can count that as exercise. I would put it as walking at a slower pace for an amount of time that you feel is appropriate!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I worked in a pharmacy and was on my feet for up to 10 hours a day so I completely understand where your coming from! Of course you can count that as exercise. I would put it as walking at a slower pace for an amount of time that you feel is appropriate!

She already has her activity level higher the sedentary to account for her job so it should only count if she changes her activity level to less active.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    I have a very active on my feet, heavy lifting, up and down stairs all day job too. This is not counted as excerise. I have an "active" lifestyle but I only count the time I am conciously/purposely workout as exercise.
This discussion has been closed.