What are some good products to help supress your appetite?

Options
Any one know of any really good products out on the market to help reduce/ supress your appetite. i have such a hard time controlling my cravings for food. i need something to help curb my cravings? any one know of any thing that has worked for them in the past? thanks.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I used Hoodia years ago to suppress my appetite. The scale went down but it was mostly water weight, and some muscle too. As soon as I started eating again, surprise surprise the weight came back but with the added pleasure of a higher BF% thanks to lost muscle.

Now I take a more sensible approach of suppressing my appetite by eating good food, ensuring I get protein at each meal.

Cutting calories too far (which is essentially what appetite suppressants aim to do) resulting in hunger is always doomed to failure. Eat at a small deficit that doesn't leave you feeling deprived. There are no magic pills or potions that will help with long term healthy weight loss.
  • Streamlinedforlife
    Options
    Plan and prepare your meals for the next day before you go to sleep. This is what i do Every Single Day. That way, if you see something tempting to eat or you are hungry, just reach into your lunch bag or purse that has the prepared (calorie counted) snack and eat that instead. If you feel like having that cookie for example, set it aside for the next day, count its calories and have it ready for tomorrow, that way you can stay accountable. If you feel like having it today, eat the the cookie but subtract those calories from your dinner or whatever meal you had set aside for later that day. PREPARE YOUR FOOD!!!!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them to be honest, but I find a big glass of water or sometimes a sweet hot drink will just be enough to take the edge off.

Also, I find if I can distract myself for about 30 minutes, the cravings pass. I do things like take a bubble bath, get the foot spa out and give myself a pedicure or paint my nails. Or sometimes just even find a good film to watch.

I totally understand though what you mean as I am terrible with cravings (chocolate and sweet stuff for me). But I don't think cravings are anything to do with appetite so I am not sure appetite suppressants would help with cravings anyway. And you don't want to have to take them for the rest of your life so if you can try other ways to deal with your cravings it would really help you in the long run.

^^hope I don't come across as preaching there, as I totally understand how you are feeling. xx
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot of greens like kale, spinach, chard, parsley, cilantro, etc. will make you feel full. Almonds also help with this.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Apparently grapefruit juice will suppress your appetite - have a glass half an hour before you eat.