Stationary bike - Time vs Distance vs Resistance?

Options
Hello there! I've been riding stationary bikes to lose weight for awhile. I'm currently doing about 15 miles in 60 minutes. My heart rate is 83-86% of my max for the majority of the ride.

While I'm trying to lose weight (I have quite a bit to lose!), I also would love to shape up my muscles. I eventually want to ride outdoors, as well as do things such as hike and run.

I'm unsure of how to proceed at this point.. I love riding the bike, as it's less stress on my body than walking. I have also been incorporating a 1 mile walk (20 minutes) into my routine after the bike ride, but even when I *just* walk, I tire and ache after the 20 minutes.

Should I stick with the cardio that's working for me now and just increase my time? Go for a faster speed/more distance? Turn up the resistance? (I currently do Fat Burner program on level 3.) Or should I do the same (or less) and try focusing more on walking? I'm really anxious to start a C25k program, but I tire way too fast for that right now.

Thanks for any tips or advice!

Replies

• crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Regarding the bike, first goal would be to increase time spent on the bike machine, but only up to the max you can spare within your lifestyle. Then next stage would be to gradually up the speed you peddle at. If you can gradually increase the speed and resistance you will gradually improve your fitness and endurance. That will also help with your tolerance for hiking and then running.
  • thunder_buns
    Options
    Is the walking that tires you on a treadmill or sidewalk?
    I get less fatigue and less back pain from waking on sidewalks..
    My treadmill kills me but I can build up a longer walk walking the neighborhood and it helps..
    I used to drag my hubby with me walking but he is in his senior college and no time it seems now. If u ever want a walking buddy hit me up I would love it.
    I wanna work my way back to a jog again ;)