Finding time to exercise...

Options
13»

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I work 60 plus hours a week, I sit on the board of three charitable organizations, I have two kids and a very active social life, so I hear you. To me, exercise is a priority, so I schedule it into my day like everything else. Then when I am looking at my schedule for the day, I see that I have yoga at 7:30 or whatever and it's not an option because it's there.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you are too tired after work why not get up earlier and work out? If you can't get outside put on a workout DVD 30 minutes and your done :smile: You will have more energy for the rest of the day. The body you want or 30 minutes extra in bed your choice.

Good luck.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    All I hear are excuses. If you want it bad enough you'll make the time. I guarentee after a week of 3-4 times a week exercise you won't be too tired anymore.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have two small kids. I make time for it. Like yesterday, I didn't have time for my usual cardio in the afternoon. So when my husband got home..I went downstairs in our room and did the 30 day shred at 8:30 at night! I could have easily just relaxed, but I made the decision to exercise.

I was always too "tired" to work out before. But once I got into a routine, I am not tired. And you don't regret working out, you regret NOT working out.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    By making time, not trying to find it.

This says it all for me. I have time to watch TV and be on the internet, so I have time to exercise.

I've started walking everywhere I can instead of always using my car. That includes to the drugstore half a mile away and the 15 minute walk to work. I also walk to have a cup of coffee with friends instead of driving. Of course, this depends on where you live.

If you go to a grocery store with a large parking lot, park your car as far from the door as you can.

Make the time. I live next to a national park, so I love walking out there. If I lived in a city, I would go to a gym. You have to choose quality of life and make the time.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    1) You don't have to workout everyday. I only workout three times a week and sometimes 4. I'm currently a stay at home Mom but when I did work i went to the gym 2 days a week (the gym was in my building ). But, my job had me on my feet, running around lifting, etc. My problem was I didn't change my eating habits.
    ,you probably have 2 days off a week right? Start with that!

2) Working out at home may save you time. For me, I workout while my kid is napping or gone to bed for the night.

3) Schedule it in like an appointment.

4) The slow cooker can be your best friend and save your time on cooking on your workout days! There are lots of recipes you can use.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    - Find an exercise/sport that you find interesting and a joy to do. Plan your schedule with this in mind and do this on a regular basis.
    - Reduce the amount of time that you initially plan to exercise. Its easier to find 10 min than an hour. Once you get into the habit, increase your exercise time.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    this may have been suggested already but I'd say workout in the mornings, before work
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Early morning workouts can actually prevent tiredness later in the day, also, if you REALLY can't handle anything else, I'd suggest a nice walk with a friend or something every few days early in the morning or late at night before bed, and on your day off maybe putting in an exercise video. Abs and other workouts do not take a sufficient amount of time at home. Buy a few free weights and a yoga mat and take 15 minutes a day before work to work out a few muscles.

For example, today I REALLY can't work out. I woek up at 630am to study until 830am, have to walk a half an hour to the exam center. Take the exam 9-10, have to walk back to work by 1030am, work until 230pm, an hour for lunch and homework and then rushing to my lab class restaurant from 330 until 11pm. I will just switch my rest day with today :) And the walking around all day (seriously, all day, I'm a waitress and I waitress for my restaurant lab as well) and the testing center is about 1 mile 1/2 away each way, i should be fine :)
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    Squats-20 of them everytime before peeing, hey, little things add up!

Tee hee I like that, I'm going to do that too!

I think if I did squats BEFORE peeing, there might be a problem...
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Get up early! that works for me!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options

Me too! :ohwell: how come I can do an hour of zumba but a short walk....
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options

Me too! :ohwell: how come I can do an hour of zumba but a short walk....

I just think it would be MUCH easier on an empty bladder rather than a full one.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Well, I just gave it a go, did 10 before and 10 after. And felt reeeeeally silly doing them (wearing a pencil skirt does not help)! :laugh:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Schedule it into your day, just like any other appointment. Or get up early and make it the first thing you do. I know that if leave it to my own motivation to work out after getting home, making dinner, etc. I have only a 50% success rate. Scheduling it in works a LOT better for me!
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A big thank you to everyone for all the helpful tips. I will definitely try the majority of them and let you know how they pan out :)