Supplements

Options
Piqueaboo
Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
Do you guys take any supplements? And if so, which ones?

I'm paying more attention to macros lately and there are some things (iron etc) that I don't 'top up' regularly, and am considering taking supplements for.

Please share your thoughts, I'd love to hear from you!

Replies

• Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just take a B-vit, Multi vit, cod liv and sea kelp. xxx
  • Piqueaboo
    Options

What do these improve? I need some inspiration with the selection :)

Thank you!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to take Vitamin D, B complex, Calcium, Fish oil and Magnesium along with a multi. I am afraid I am a failure I rarely take any. I had been watching my iron also. If I eat boxed cereal or some good leafy greens I get it all. I am thinking of asking my Dr. though if Iron should be a supplement.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin with D3, sometimes B-Complex... I should probably drink that **** green powder... and of course my pre-workouts and protein shakes.
  • tskitzoid
    tskitzoid Posts: 51
    Options
    I take Vitamin D and Calcium due to being lactose intolerant and I hate milk >_> I should start taking potassium because I get foot cramps bad and I should take fish oil but the good kind is expensive and I'm unable to afford, but I don't really like taking supplements...
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to take Vitamin D, B complex, Calcium, Fish oil and Magnesium along with a multi. I am afraid I am a failure I rarely take any. I had been watching my iron also. If I eat boxed cereal or some good leafy greens I get it all. I am thinking of asking my Dr. though if Iron should be a supplement.
    I thought people only need iron supplements if they had bad TOM issues. I don't see how a cereal and leafy greens would give you the same proportion of vitamins nor diverse range a multivitamin would.
  • padackllins
    Options
    I take vegetarian multivitamins & iron. :)
  • Piqueaboo
    Options
    I thought people only need iron supplements if they had bad TOM issues. I don't see how a cereal and leafy greens would give you the same proportion of vitamins nor diverse range a multivitamin would.

No, I struggle with Iron, too, and I don't have any TOM issues ever. I used to take Floradix but that stuff is vile!!!!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo

If you are sincerely interested in supplements an you honestly would like to know more, then for now the only things you need to read are these two articles.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-2.html

This applies for the general population, people who want to improve health/performance, amateur/semi/pro athletes, bodybuilders, fitness models, powerlifters etc

If you cant be bothered, then I'd recommend as a baseline
    Fish oils (at least 1-2g a day)
    Multivitamin (at least 1 a day)
    Vitamin D (if you live in a city which doest get regular sunlight - 1000-2000 IU a day)
    Protein powder (if you can't get 1g per lb of lean body mass from whole foods)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin c to boost my immune system and magnesium malate to helpwith anxiety and fybromyalgia. The magnesium is 1250 per day and I really rate it!

Zara
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Multivit, cod liver oil, ephedrine, caffeine, whey powder, psyllium husk, melatonin.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal vitamin with added iron. I also take an extra vitamin D supplement from my doctor (I don't remember the dosage atm) since they thought my levels were low enough to warrant it.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My supplements: B12, muscle repair vitamins and protein since I'm a vegetarian.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options

What do these improve? I need some inspiration with the selection :)

Thank you!

vit B - energy,. multi vit - general health and sea kelp for growth etc x
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Just the normal multivitamin and iron. I used to take calcium, magnesium, protein powder (whey isolate) and ginseng in the past but because of financial problems, I haven't been taking them for about 3 months. I feel no different and my fitness gains have been almost the same (if not better).
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i take a multivitamin and b-12 for energy. this week im adding whey protein for before my workouts. i am hoping the whey protein and milk combo will add more calcium to my diet and also help give me a little boost. i like to go to the gym right after work. so im hoping it will give me a healthy boost to my workouts. my doctor says if you need an iron supplement to get slow acting iron. many multivitamins do not have enough iron. i had to do that for a couple years cause of bad female time of the month issues. the b-12 is now my replacement for the mountain dew and energy drinks i use to do daily.
  • Piqueaboo
    Options
    Thank you everyone, this is really helpful!