Teen nutrition

Options
I have a thirteen year old boy. To imagine this boy visualise a spring onion, or maybe a straw. ][ his legs

I looked up Scooby and found that just to maintain he needs 2100 kcal a day. I reckon he eats 1700.

He has a moderate appetite. He has visited friend's houses and the feedback is that he eats like a sparrow.

So, here is my problem.

Feed him whatever healthy food he wants - eggs, steak, potatoes, avocado, cake - what, that's healthy, right?

Or, let him lots more cake.

I suppose I am struggling to feed him calorie-dense foods that are healthy.

He eats :yoghurt, lots. Steak, chicken, lamb + veg: A child's portion. Baked beans - you can't eat enough to matter. Full fat milk a cup a day.
He doesn't eat : cheese. Damn. Bacon, no. Sausages, no.

I am not a very good cook,

I am looking for healthy ideas that don't involve pouring olive oil down his throat.

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I would like feedback from parents in a similar situation.

This teen runs 10k a week but that's it. No sport.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Baked Beans don't matter? most the ones i have seen are 140 calories for 1/2 cup.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Who said you need to feed him calorie dense food? If he eats enough it doesn't matter how dense the calories are if he's still getting in his overall daily macro nutrients.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Boys are often very thin at that age--they lose that "baby fat" and "fill out" with muscle a bit later. My son was very slight up until just recently (he's just turned 18). In fact, I think a lot of people believe he's still very thin. He's not--he's quite muscular, just not a big guy, and is very, very lean. I always worried he wasn't eating enough as he's very active...but I think the vast majority of teenage boys will certainly eat when hungry and have no issues with that.

It sounds like your son eats pretty well--likes lots of healthy foods and all that.

Does he like nut and/or seed butters? Those are total calorie bombs. My son loves anything like that. He eats sunflower seed butter with sliced apples, or on toast, etc. He would eat entire jars of peanut butter on his own if I had it around.

If he doesn't like nut butters, does he like any sort of nuts or seeds, just on their own? They're pretty calorie dense little foods, and can easily be put away by the handful.

Do you buy the full fat yogurt? That's a bit more calorific than low or non fat versions.

Does he like smoothies? Make smoothies with the full fat yogurt or milk, a bunch of fruit (ripe or even overripe bananas are really good for this)....you can throw in an avocado. Sounds weird, but it is a calorie bomb and makes the smoothie so nice and creamy!

Baked potatoes with butter, soured cream, and whatever else he likes on them.

How about burritos? Teenage boys seem to like those. Tortilla with some sorta spicy meat, refried beans, lettuce, tomato, soured cream, avocado or guacamole, salsa, etc.

Porridge? My son doesn't seem to go for regular oats, but he really likes a big bowl of pinhead oats with a sliced banana, or perhaps some peeled/chopped apples and cinnamon. You can sweeten it with brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, whatever. You could pour a bit of milk or cream on as well...or cook the oats with milk in the first place. My son toasts the oats in a bit of butter, then uses water to cook the oats, as we never have milk around.

Coconut milk is another healthy way to sneak calories in there--full fat version in the tins. You can use it in smoothies, over berries or cereal, curries, whatever.

Risotto? I know you said he doesn't like cheese, but in a risotto perhaps? Risottos aren't too difficult and you can make them a million different ways.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    At 13 his appetite will wax and wane as his body grows in fits and spurts. Give him food that is healthy and nutritious, and don't worry if he doesn't eat what you think is enough of it - when his body needs it he will get hungry and eat. Unless you think his lack of eating is a true eating disorder then don't worry about it. If you want to stimulate his appetite encourage him in physical activity, that will make him hungry.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Who said you need to feed him calorie dense food? If he eats enough it doesn't matter how dense the calories are if he's still getting in his overall daily macro nutrients.

I don't understand what you mean, sorry.

My concern is that he doesn't eat enough. He needs 2100 and eats 1700.
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Maybe try things like nuts? Peanut butter?
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Baked Beans don't matter? most the ones i have seen are 140 calories for 1/2 cup.

You are right. A tin is about 320 calories. If this kid ate a tin of baked beans for lunch he would be happy with a lamington for tea.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    have you met my son???? mine is the same age and sounds just like yours! i am constantly worried that he does not eat enough. i often make him milkshakes with full cream milk and ensure or pedisure for extra nutrition. he is constantly hungry but is always making bad choices with food. Then i feel bad when i say no to another cookie?? i just try to make sure he gets a high protein diet with loads of grain bread and pasta - i use vegies as a bribe - no desert unless he eats them all - i never get an argument. i dont think this is much help to you but its nice to know that there is another 13yo string bean out there who doesn't eat enough! does your boy exercise?
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Boys are often very thin at that age--they lose that "baby fat" and "fill out" with muscle a bit later. My son was very slight up until just recently (he's just turned 18). In fact, I think a lot of people believe he's still very thin. He's not--he's quite muscular, just not a big guy, and is very, very lean. I always worried he wasn't eating enough as he's very active...but I think the vast majority of teenage boys will certainly eat when hungry and have no issues with that.

It sounds like your son eats pretty well--likes lots of healthy foods and all that.

Does he like nut and/or seed butters? Those are total calorie bombs. My son loves anything like that. He eats sunflower seed butter with sliced apples, or on toast, etc. He would eat entire jars of peanut butter on his own if I had it around.

If he doesn't like nut butters, does he like any sort of nuts or seeds, just on their own? They're pretty calorie dense little foods, and can easily be put away by the handful.

Do you buy the full fat yogurt? That's a bit more calorific than low or non fat versions.

Does he like smoothies? Make smoothies with the full fat yogurt or milk, a bunch of fruit (ripe or even overripe bananas are really good for this)....you can throw in an avocado. Sounds weird, but it is a calorie bomb and makes the smoothie so nice and creamy!

Baked potatoes with butter, soured cream, and whatever else he likes on them.

How about burritos? Teenage boys seem to like those. Tortilla with some sorta spicy meat, refried beans, lettuce, tomato, soured cream, avocado or guacamole, salsa, etc.

Porridge? My son doesn't seem to go for regular oats, but he really likes a big bowl of pinhead oats with a sliced banana, or perhaps some peeled/chopped apples and cinnamon. You can sweeten it with brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, whatever. You could pour a bit of milk or cream on as well...or cook the oats with milk in the first place. My son toasts the oats in a bit of butter, then uses water to cook the oats, as we never have milk around.

Coconut milk is another healthy way to sneak calories in there--full fat version in the tins. You can use it in smoothies, over berries or cereal, curries, whatever.

Risotto? I know you said he doesn't like cheese, but in a risotto perhaps? Risottos aren't too difficult and you can make them a million different ways.

Thanks, calia.

Three egg omelette fairly standard, but it is still only 210 cals.

No, no peanut butter. None of the kids, what is wrong with them!

Full fat yoghurt, yes, or else I would be mental.

Smoothies, yes, and shares them with Dad. Not so good for Dad, but that is another thread.

Ooh, butter! Don't use it in general, but can slap some on.

Burritos, general family fair, chicken korma ditto.

Risotto, I love it, one kid loves it, everyone else bleugh.

First world problems.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    have you met my son???? mine is the same age and sounds just like yours! i am constantly worried that he does not eat enough. i often make him milkshakes with full cream milk and ensure or pedisure for extra nutrition. he is constantly hungry but is always making bad choices with food. Then i feel bad when i say no to another cookie?? i just try to make sure he gets a high protein diet with loads of grain bread and pasta - i use vegies as a bribe - no desert unless he eats them all - i never get an argument. i dont think this is much help to you but its nice to know that there is another 13yo string bean out there who doesn't eat enough! does your boy exercise?

Don't know what ensure or pedisure is, but it sounds like something bogus preying on the minds of first-world parents, to be honest.

High protein diet with loads of bread and pasta - I don't think we are on the same page.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Quit trying to fatten him up with cake and "calorie dense foods". Your just setting him up to fail as an adult. Since when do baked beans not matter calorie wise??? Perhaps this is what a healthy weight looks like!
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Are you logging his food? You can't make assumptions on how much people should eat based on another person. It's very easy to rack up calories eating meat and cake. Comfort food tends to be high in calorie because of the fat content whether it comes from cheese, butter, or oil. Make him mac and cheese with hot dogs, bbq pork sandwiches, garlic mashed potatoes, desserts are fine... -If he's medically underweight that is...

As long as he's getting the proper amount of carbs / fats / protein it really doesn't matter what he eats... whether it's nutrient tense or not. A white potato and a sweet potato at the end of the day is a starch that converts into sugar which the body uses as fuel... it really doesn't matter that sweet potato is more nutrient dense.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    At 13 his appetite will wax and wane as his body grows in fits and spurts. Give him food that is healthy and nutritious, and don't worry if he doesn't eat what you think is enough of it - when his body needs it he will get hungry and eat. Unless you think his lack of eating is a true eating disorder then don't worry about it. If you want to stimulate his appetite encourage him in physical activity, that will make him hungry.

This is what I hope, thank you. He is not disordered, he is just extraordinarily skinny.

We have always just fed him whatever healthy food he wanted. Here it is, eat whatever you want. His brother and sister the same, but this one has turned into a skeleton.

He has been running 10k a week for the last 2 months.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Quit trying to fatten him up with cake and "calorie dense foods". Your just setting him up to fail as an adult. Since when do baked beans not matter calorie wise??? Perhaps this is what a healthy weight looks like!

I am trying to fatten him up. From what I understand he is eating less than maintenance on a rapidly growing frame with a reasonable amount of exercise. I That is him. Do you know what a spring onion is? That is him, including the hair.
  • Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was always slightly underweight at his age (I'm only just 19 so it wasn't that long ago) but to be honest it never really did me any harm. As long as he isn't ill because of his weight and/or diet or showing signs of an ED I'd just keep feeding him a healthy diet and let him eat as much as he needs until he is full. Your research may have told you that he needs 2100 calories but that will be an average, not specific for your son. He's most likely eating as much as his body tells him to and as he grows he will continue to eat differing amounts until he hits on what he needs as a fully grown adult with his activity level. Having said that, putting full fat milk in the fridge for him to use won't harm him, my Mum did the same thing at one point with me.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Are you logging his food? You can't make assumptions on how much people should eat based on another person. It's very easy to rack up calories eating meat and cake. Comfort food tends to be high in calorie because of the fat content whether it comes from cheese, butter, or oil. Make him mac and cheese with hot dogs, bbq pork sandwiches, garlic mashed potatoes, desserts are fine... -If he's medically underweight that is...

As long as he's getting the proper amount of carbs / fats / protein it really doesn't matter what he eats... whether it's nutrient tense or not. A white potato and a sweet potato at the end of the day is a starch that converts into sugar which the body uses as fuel... it really doesn't matter that sweet potato is more nutrient dense.

I haven't logged his food. Hm. I am just eyeballing his food, and it looks like 1700.

He is not medically underweight, but I have never taken him to the doctor, either.

At this point all I have is my observation that he looks like a stick of lemongrass, and he does not have a roaring appetite.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I knew a girl's brother who literally did not understand why people ate. They made him drink baby milk etc. but that's because he literally has no interest in food.

If your son was a vegetarian I might be concerned, but it's very easy to underestimate calories. A pasta at cheesecake factory is 1700+ calories alone.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the "eats like a bird" comment for people with small appetites. Most birds eat their entire bodyweight in food every day.

As for the OP, it sounds like a total non-issue. Inventing a problem that isn't there.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I was always slightly underweight at his age (I'm only just 19 so it wasn't that long ago) but to be honest it never really did me any harm. As long as he isn't ill because of his weight and/or diet or showing signs of an ED I'd just keep feeding him a healthy diet and let him eat as much as he needs until he is full. Your research may have told you that he needs 2100 calories but that will be an average, not specific for your son. He's most likely eating as much as his body tells him to and as he grows he will continue to eat differing amounts until he hits on what he needs as a fully grown adult with his activity level. Having said that, putting full fat milk in the fridge for him to use won't harm him, my Mum did the same thing at one point with me.

Thanks, locke. Your point about 2100 being an average is well made. Whatever food he wants is there for him, as it is for his brother and sister who are not sticks.

Your Mum is not a member in need of a friend, by any chance?