Thunder Thighs

Options
Anyone have any tips on how to get rid of "thunder thighs?" I do squats and high kicks with Taebo. I would like to find ways to get my legs more toned so that my thighs don't rub together. They have been like that since I was young. I don't wear shorts, but I would love to one day. :-)

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Is there thick layer of fat on your thighs? Or are they very muscular?

If it's fat good old exercise is your friend, plenty of fat burning, watch the diet etc if it's muscle you'll just have to live with it!
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Lose weight, simple as.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Cardio is it. Squats won't burn the fat off.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    i too have "thunder thighs". This is my second go round (weight loss journey) but what i can share from my FIRST experience is tht by aerobic excercise and walking alone, within a MOS, i noticed a dramatic difference and w/i 3 mos, I went from a snug 20 to a comfortable 14 pants (denim) and my thighs are HEAVY. Right now I don't do so much (workout) bc I'm expecting and drs orders for min to no excercise rt now, but first chance I get, I'm back on it. I remember doing only abt 15 min of aerobic daily and later incorporating walking a mile at least 3x weekly. The more I did it, the more energy I got and so I even added 15 more min of aerobic daily. Tht will do it--I PROMISE :):):)
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Cardio is it. Squats won't burn the fat off.

Wow. I'm outta here...
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit, lift heavy *kitten* often, cardio if you feel like it.

Oh and some patience.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    you can't choose where the fat comes off of, so just steady, slow weight loss by eating at a deficit, a little cardio and some heavy lifting. There isn't one exercise that will help you lose fat in a specific place, unfortunately.
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    Options
    Patience love. Stick to your workout plan. & Don't be surprise if you see the size of your thighs increase, because squats help to build the muscle. It's good though:)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I heard watching copious amounts of Olivia Newton John while wearing spanx is a good way.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Diet, lift weights and do Callanetics!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Patience love. Stick to your workout plan. & Don't be surprise if you see the size of your thighs increase, because squats help to build the muscle. It's good though:)

The size of your thighs won't increase due to muscle gains. You cannot gain in a deficit. Also, it is very difficult for women to gain mass at all due to lower levels of testosterone, hence why women have to work REALLY friggin' hard to get "bulky".

You may feel like your muscles/thighs are getting bigger because when you first start lifting your muscles will retain some water... these "gains" are minimal however. And temporary.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Through fat loss.

If anything squats are going to make your legs bigger
  • Warchortle
    Options

The size of your thighs won't increase due to muscle gains. You cannot gain in a deficit. Also, it is very difficult for women to gain mass at all due to lower levels of testosterone, hence why women have to work REALLY friggin' hard to get "bulky".

You may feel like your muscles/thighs are getting bigger because when you first start lifting your muscles will retain some water... these "gains" are minimal however. And temporary.
    I've made pretty good "lean gains" just sayin....
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Through fat loss.

I don't believe you.

female-squating.jpg
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Diet, lift weights and do Callanetics!
    I love Callanetics !! Got the best results ever with Calla Pinkney's workout !
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Through fat loss.

I don't believe you.

316163_320738537942105_1390849638_n.jpg
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns fat. Strength builds muscles.

Its kind of weird cause I am struggling to lose weight but I have a bunch of muscles under that layer of fat. I have been strength training at least an hour a day 6 days a week for 2.3 years. I even have ab muscles poking through. The thing is, you can build up your muscles all you want but sheer calorie burn (cardio) is going to get rid of those problem areas and help you lose pounds. You cant control where you lose it, only that you lose it.
  • tmanda06
    tmanda06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you can't choose where the fat comes off of, so just steady, slow weight loss by eating at a deficit, a little cardio and some heavy lifting. There isn't one exercise that will help you lose fat in a specific place, unfortunately.

I heard that too, I was looking for exercises that would target fat on certain areas of the body, but it looks like it's just a case of regular, general exercise.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Cardio burns fat. Strength builds muscles.

Its kind of weird cause I am struggling to lose weight but I have a bunch of muscles under that layer of fat. I have been strength training at least an hour a day 6 days a week for 2.3 years. I even have ab muscles poking through. The thing is, you can build up your muscles all you want but sheer calorie burn (cardio) is going to get rid of those problem areas and help you lose pounds. You cant control where you lose it, only that you lose it.
    Sort of. Strength and muscle building are not exactly related because you can gain strength without gaining any muscle. This can be do to nerve training and your body becoming more efficient. Cardio can build muscle... it's why you see swimmers with massive legs, but generally speaking cardio is not an efficient way to build muscle. You make muscles gains by properly stimulating muscles to cause micro tears in the fibers of the muscle causing protein synthesis and protein break down. Assuming you eat and you're not at an extremely low body fat percentage this frequent repetition with included rest will cause you to build muscle. Cardio by nature is more efficient at burning calories because of it's higher heart rate, but it only serves to increase the caloric deficit... it doesn't magically burn more fat because of the high intensity.