how does your guy or girl support you?

Options
i'm not asking for ways to get more support, i have enough, it just can be interesting depending on the different personalities and other factors.

now the main thing he does, it just let me do my own thing. buy whatever i healthy food we need, when the kids were younger, he'd watch them, so I could workout.

He's been picking up equipment for our gym a little at a time, for years, so when i decided to
use the barbell, we already had when I needed.

The other night I was almost done with a heavy session, and he randomly came in the room and gave a shout to burn that fat! he was cheering me on, I guess. He's not a chatty kind of person, he only really talks a lot if it's related to explaining something for computers, video game, or sports, so it's rare to get a comment.
He taught me how to deadlift last year. He was trying to tell me years ago, that i could do basically the routine i'm doing, lift 3x a week, and that all my cardio was unnecessary. so it's a little annoying how right he, and how wrong I, am turning out to be.

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend exercises and eats healthy with me, which is a huge thing. i read about women that have husbands that won't eat vegetables or bring home donuts from work every night and it makes me really appreciative of what i've got.

also there is a popular running path in dallas called the katy trail.. don't suppose you're from here? :]
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend knows I'm an emotional eater so I've told him if he knows I'm in a bad mood and he sees me reaching for junk food to call me out on it and he does. Having that accountability really helps. I remember one time during a particularly stressful time at work (going through layoffs) we were at the store and I stopped in the candy aisle. He walked up to me and gently said, "I know what you're doing." I didn't buy that candy. And if I'm not in a bad mood, he knows I've worked that candy into my calorie allowance for the day and to keep his mouth shut :happy: If I haven't brought it up yet in the evening, he always asks if I've done my workout yet and how it was. He's also really good about noticing changes on my body and complimenting me and letting me know my hard work is paying off. I'm a lucky lady :love:
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't mind when I go to yoga in the evenings. He gives me that time and puts the kids to bed so I can go.
  • Rachshuv
    Rachshuv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im Totally lucky, my husband got up at 6am every morning to get in the pool with me, he asks me what I need ( pull me out of bed on a Wednesday!) and he does. He makes an effort to tell me I look and
    Feel good and celebrates my success. ( he's not naturally verbose) I would have given up by now, instead, I've now decided to up the ante.

He's now really muscular and fit by helping me ( lucky thing!)

I would still have done it without his support, but it would have been miserable.
    X
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My husband already looks after himself and lifts weights at the gym 5x a week so he couldn't really object when I said I wanted to get fit too.

Initially he was a bit fed up for the first week or so that I wanted to weigh absolutely everything and I would be constantly tapping on my phone entering ingredients for a casserole he'd be making for our dinner. However, he's appreciating that it is working for me and he's even lost a few lbs now that he doesn't have a snack buddy on the end of the sofa!

Sunday is our only day off together but he's started making himself scarce for 30mins so I can do 30DS in private (he'd fall over laughing if he saw me do it). He also has been very understanding about my mountain bike and static trainer in the dining room ... so far!

We're a good team in most things and I think that helps as he looks at it from my perspective too.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    He doesn't lol

"He loves me just the way I am"

But he does watch the kids while I go run on the treadmill in the basement and "allows" me to go
    Out a few days a week to the gym, so I guess that's supportive
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my husband & I work opposite shifts; aside from the hour we are in the gym every day. we were just discussing the other day how we don't really get to see each other until the weekend b/c neither of us is willing to give up our gym time...at least not regularly. he gets the kids off the bus & helps them with their homework. we all then meet at the gym & the homework is one less thing I have to worry about when I get home to cook dinner, pack lunches, clean up dinner, get the kids bathed, etc. by myself while he is at work. He will also occassionally walk past me at the gym, smack my butt & say "good game" which is always a nice feeling =)
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has been into fitness his whole life. I've been on and off the fitness train for the past few years so when we started dating last year he really motivated me to get back into it. He encouraged me to get into lifting weights instead of focusing on cardio so much. He's helped me learn proper form for various lifts and inspired me to start the Starting Strength program while he does 5/3/1. I've gotten lots of compliments from him that I've really leaned out and I look like I'm getting stronger. He's definitely good motivation for me, since he's already so fit and I'm playing catch-up!
  • suezensays
    suezensays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    He told me I had less cellulite in my legs once. He's stingy with his compliments, so I cherished that one. Still do, actually).

And when I get in his face and scream, "Tell me I'm pretty!!", he tells me I'm pretty.

I'm just kidding on that last part.
  • vxb122
    vxb122 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    He measures the cream he puts in my coffee so I can count it properly. He doesn't dump on me when I've had a bad day. He tells me he's actually "noticed" my loss and it is obvious.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend exercises and eats healthy with me, which is a huge thing. i read about women that have husbands that won't eat vegetables or bring home donuts from work every night and it makes me really appreciative of what i've got.

also there is a popular running path in dallas called the katy trail.. don't suppose you're from here? :]

I live a few hours from the Katy trail in MO, haven't been on it yet, it's on my list :D
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my kids and their dad are all pretty good about eating most of the healthy stuff I make. he draws the line at lentils, even when I made it with sausage, he didn't like it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    By not existing.

FOREVER ALONE.

Seriously though, my ex used to support me in exercise, but he was a jerk about diet. He'd tell me I just needed to work out and not watch diet at all, so he'd try to get me to work out with him, and then insist on eating only things cooked in bacon grease.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My naturally slim and trim husband has been so great no matter where I'm at. When I was at 338lbs he loved me just like he does now that I'm at 233.

He supports me by watching the kids so I can go lift with my Daddy 3 nights a week. He eats whatever I'm cook and if I'm just doing salad or something for dinner he will fix the boys and him something else if they want it.

We're doing a family 5k and he's acting excited even though I know he doesn't care at all about it.

He's always told me how beautiful I am. Now he's told me that he is proud of me for doing what I want to do. That means a lot.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 6ft 8 1/2 tall.........and pretty athletic.... he doesn't work out, or eat right...
    I am 5ft tall and ROUND.
    I have been steadily at this since January....

I get cute texts on my cell tellling me how proud of me he is, and how he loves my determination on my quest for health and fitness.
    when he goes to the store, he always brings back the stuff for my smoothies...(clearance spinach and kale to throw in the freezer)
    he always gets me a peice of fruit, or a bag of veggies instead of the candybar he used to bring home as "my prize"

I get cute facebook messages and pictures of runners or fitnes people....

he is ultra supportive.... and I love him for it. He also tells me I am sexy and beautiful no matter what.... so I guess that is helpful too!!! :flowerforyou:
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

And when I get in his face and scream, "Tell me I'm pretty!!", he tells me I'm pretty.

I'm just kidding on that last part.

Hahaha, if I am having a bad day and really need to hear that I'm pretty, I totally do this (well, not literally screaming). Works every time :laugh:
  • ruger453
    ruger453 Posts: 1
    Options
    you are lucky. Trying to lose weight without support is tough. Good luck!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    this may sound like a silly little thing...but my favorite thing he does now is keep his evil ho-ho/ding-dong/cookie/whatever treats in the highest cupboard in our kitchen ....i can't reach w/out a stepladder, and really out of sight, out of mind - i never even think about whats hiding up there.
  • sarahkalt88
    sarahkalt88 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was concerned about my lack of self esteem. I was emotionally flat all the time. I didn't feel happy, ever. The most I felt was anxiety and sadness. I had lost a decent amount of weight a few years previous and then promptly gained it all back. Which made me even more miserable. My boyfriend always told me I was beautiful though. No matter how crap I felt about myself. Last fall when we were discussing christmas gifts he asked me if he could get me help? I accepted and he was generous enough to set me up with an amazing trainer that seems to know just how to draw out my competitive side, and keep me motivated to push myself harder and harder! So far I've lost almost 20lbs of fat! I've gained 10lbs of muscle too! Its been a slow process towards weight loss but I feel like this time its going to stay off because my outlook has changed. I feel like a whole new person!
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My husband is a chef and he cooks me the most nutritious clean, unproccessed meals when we're at home and not traveling.

Also he works out with me whenever I want and lets me call the shots on the workouts, which is sweet. He teaches me martial arts if I get bored with my stuff. Also he's constantly telling me that I'm gorgeous the way I am but that he's so happy I'm doing this because it means we'll have a longer healthier life together and that I'm doing the right thing for the health of our future babies.

The best thing is that the other night I was SO EXHAUSTED after doing an hour in hip hop and coming home to do the 30 day shred, and I thought I might have to give up and miss a day of the shred. I was really slacking on the exercises, doing really weak versions, and he started goofing around with the exercises making me laugh. Giving a hilarious commentary on Jillian's facial expressions, turning the buttkicks into our own little rumba around the living room, changing the squats into really *cough* lewd gestures in my direction, pretending to be a boxing trainer when I'm doing the punches and giving me a really goofy pep talk, I was laughing so hard that I didn't notice how fast 30 seconds of butt kicks go when you're going them while running around the livingroom.

It was the sweetest thing in the world. He just makes the workouts fun, and he tells me how much he admires me for doing what other poeple say they want to do but don't follow through on, and when I'm all sweaty and feeling gross after a workout, he flirts with me and says I look like a BA warrior queen.

I'm a lucky girl.