Fitbit

Options
annp28
annp28 Posts: 18 Member
I am planning to get a fitbit pedometer. Can anyone tell me how it calculates the steps when using the arc trainer ( very similar to an eliptical or ski machine) at the gym?

Replies

• aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I haven't used an arc trainer, but my Fitbit is accurate when I'm on the elliptical. I clip mine to the waistband of my workout pants.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If it is attached at your hip/waistband it will tends to see each movement sequence on the foot pedal as as a step (actually two since the movement sequence with the other leg also causes the accelerometer to "see" that as a step also). The combination of the hardware (the 3-axis accelerometer) and the software/firmware on board makes an accessment on the sensed motion and decides whether to record it as a "step."
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If it is attached at your hip/waistband it will tends to see each movement sequence on the foot pedal as as a step (actually two since the movement sequence with the other leg also causes the accelerometer to "see" that as a step also). The combination of the hardware (the 3-axis accelerometer) and the software/firmware on board makes an accessment on the sensed motion and decides whether to record it as a "step."

This.

Bear in mind that fitbit works by reacording steps and therefore will be able to account for speed of motion (i.e. speed of stepping action), but not the resistance so if you are working at high resistance the reading may not be accurate. Same goes for working on a treadmill at an incline.