What am I doing wrong? Help!

Options

Replies

• sarakay17
    Options
    I feel your pain - I've had the same issue over the years! One thing that I found helps is to eat more small meals (5-6) throughout the day every few hours instead of just eating the typical few larger meals every day. Also, I was doing what you're doing with eating only 1200-1400 calories daily, and according to my doctor, doing that on top of working out actually put my body into starvation mode and messed up my metabolism for a while. Especially having been a yoyo dieter in the past, you might need to give your metabolism a bit of time to reset as I had to. I now aim for 1400-1500 net calories daily, and I'm actually making progress for the first time in almost a year. Also, water really helps!! I drink about 2L daily and it seems to help the water weight stay away (as does keeping track of your sodium intake.... that part was huge for me too!) I hope this helps you a little bit! Good luck!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I completely understand that yo- you dieting is awful for my body. I just can't break the cycle - when I am stressed I eat or crave bad, unhealthy foods! I have never been overweight until I hit my 30's. I have always been very thin (size 4/6) until I got older. Now I am a 12 and hate it! I gained 22 pounds durinng the months Oct - Feb - YIKES!!!!!!!!!

I am going to stick to my healthy eating lifestyle and continue to workout and retrain my brain to not go to food during stressful times!

Take some time to reflect on what's really driving you to eat during those stressful times. Learn how to recognize the triggers and find an alternative to food that gives you the same sense of comfort. When we eat to relieve stress, being overwhelmed, loneliness, sadness, etc. we're just stuffing the feelings down with the food. It's better to find a way to let them out - yelling into a pillow, taking a run or walk, hitting a punching bag - whatever works. This helps to keep the stress levels more even. Eating just supresses them temporarily and then you add stress on top of that when you feel guilty for eating or see your weight moving up. Stress also causes your hormones to be imbalanced, which can also lead to weight gain. The real issue is your stress - address that and you will naturally start making adjustments that will result in healthy weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Are you suggesting her TDEE is less than 1200 and she is not in a deficit?

She's at too much of a deficit.

How does that cause one to not lose weight?

This can cause the body to slow its metabolic rate down making it harder to burn excess calories, instead storing everything it can as her body burns more being alive (breathing, walking, organs pumping blood.....) than she is taking in

So, again my question is do you honestly believe her TDEE is less then 1200 and she's not eating a deficit? After one month her BMR has slowed to the point that even with exercise she is not burning > 1200 - 1400 calories per day?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Also, this time I started exercising and eating lower calories at the same time. In the past I did not start exercising until after I lost 20-25 pounds. I feel like concentrating only on my diet worked better for me, but I know that makes no sense. I need both exercise and a better diet.

You probably lost weight by diet alone because you were eating enough for the amount of activity you were doing. When you add exercise, you increase your energy needs.

So, that car that sits in your driveway except for the once a week trip to the store doesn't need much gas, does it? What about if you take it on a one hour drive every day? Will it need more gas? Exactly.

Read this, it will help. You are under eating for your activity level.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

There are lots of threads explaining how this site works and how to account for your activity level.

The other thing you said, "I gain every winter." We all do. But 22 pounds says you overeat by way too much. Logging all your food every day will definitely help you see the error of your ways.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

This can cause the body to slow its metabolic rate down making it harder to burn excess calories, instead storing everything it can as her body burns more being alive (breathing, walking, organs pumping blood.....) than she is taking in

So, again my question is do you honestly believe her TDEE is less then 1200 and she's not eating a deficit? After one month her BMR has slowed to the point that even with exercise she is not burning > 1200 - 1400 calories per day?

At no point did i say her TDEE is less than 1200 Too much of a deficit can cause a negative impact on the bodys metabolism, it's different case by case and without figures and an assessment we can only estimate the situation.

Sometimes you need to eat more of the right foods and increase your calorie intake to kick start it again. I'm not a doctor and i've stated above that everyone is different and what works for one individual may not for another.

I don't understand how you asking me that question is beneficial to this post? Without the vital information it's hard to ascertain the reason plus as i don't know her personally, the information we do have (age, weight, diary etc) could be not 100% accurate.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and it happened to me...up and down for years...it will mess you up a bit and eventually when you try again, your body doesn't react the way it did in the past. I would stick with what you are doing. It took me 6 weeks to see the scale move. It's worth it. Try to focus on making a life change and it will be easier. I am on my way too. Also, I eat 1200 - 1350 per day.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So how much are you supposed to eat if too much 1400-1500 is too much. If she is working out and eating then it resets the metabolism, then how do you get the metabolism back up without gaining? I actually feel like I am in the same boat. I am not eating my exercise calories. It said I should be eating more but honestly, it feels if I eat more I will gain more.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and it happened to me...up and down for years...it will mess you up a bit and eventually when you try again, your body doesn't react the way it did in the past. I would stick with what you are doing. It took me 6 weeks to see the scale move. It's worth it. Try to focus on making a life change and it will be easier. I am on my way too. Also, I eat 1200 - 1350 per day.

please ignore this whole post.
  • bcattoes
    Options

At no point did i say her TDEE is less than 1200 Too much of a deficit can cause a negative impact on the bodys metabolism, it's different case by case and without figures and an assessment we can only estimate the situation.

Sometimes you need to eat more of the right foods and increase your calorie intake to kick start it again. I'm not a doctor and i've stated above that everyone is different and what works for one individual may not for another.

I don't understand how you asking me that question is beneficial to this post? Without the vital information it's hard to ascertain the reason plus as i don't know her personally, the information we do have (age, weight, diary etc) could be not 100% accurate.

The OP asked why she wasn't losing weight. I don't understand the "you are not eating enough" answers. A calorie deficit = fat loss, doesn't it? How does one eat at a deficit and not lose weight?

While I agree that she needs to eat more to prevent her metabolism from slowing in the future, more likely she is building "newbie" muscle and storing water from beginning to exercise.
  • jvl1973
    jvl1973 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to the public now
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So how much are you supposed to eat if too much 1400-1500 is too much. If she is working out and eating then it resets the metabolism, then how do you get the metabolism back up without gaining? I actually feel like I am in the same boat. I am not eating my exercise calories. It said I should be eating more but honestly, it feels if I eat more I will gain more.

If your metabolism is lower then you may gain a few at first. Increasing exercise intensity can help, but you still may gain a few before you start losing again. Just have patience.
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat TDEE minus 15-20% and I have been losing approx 1/2lb a week steadily. This helped me a to unerstand a lot of the terms thrown around (BMR, TDEE etc) :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Could you elaborate on how this is a problem? It may help my efforts. Thanks!

Eating 1200 calories or less per day over a prolonged period of time will repress your metabolism to the point were you cannot burn fat without starvation.

It will repress your metabolism because you lose lean body mass eating too little. lean body mass is what drives your metabolism.

I started this path at 40 years old and took it slow delierately. I do not think your age has anything to do with it. I also weight train and eat about 1850 caloires per day.

If you have been undereating for a prolonged period of time, it may take some time to adjust to eating at the healthy level...put the scale away for a month, calculate your TDEE -15% and eat from there. Your body should readjust well within the 4 weeks and you should see a difference on the scale. Remember this is learning how to eat right forever and not just a quick way to lose weight. Plus, if you are not "dieting" you can keep it up forever and stay healthy.
  • SGSmallman
    Options

The OP asked why she wasn't losing weight. I don't understand the "you are not eating enough" answers. A calorie deficit = fat loss, doesn't it? How does one eat at a deficit and not lose weight?

While I agree that she needs to eat more to prevent her metabolism from slowing in the future, more likely she is building "newbie" muscle and storing water from beginning to exercise.

Eating at too low a deficit will cause you to lose weight but weight is made up of
    A- fat
    B- Muscle
    C-Water

I guarantee you will lose mostly muscle and water.

The more muscle (lean Mass) you have the higher your metabolism the higher your metabolism the more you burn meaning you need to eat more to keep your BMR up.

Please read this and educate yourself about TDEE and BMR and why eating at too low a deficit is detrimental to FAT loss and health.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Then read this

http://io9.com/5984275/the-worst-lies-that-mainstream-nutrition-has-told-you

If that doesn't help i can go further into the discussion on how sugars are what make people Fat and not Fats, Healthy fats are essential to fat loss confusing yes but learning this will help define your lifestyle and how well you adapt.
  • SGSmallman
    Options
    Could you elaborate on how this is a problem? It may help my efforts. Thanks!

Eating 1200 calories or less per day over a prolonged period of time will repress your metabolism to the point were you cannot burn fat without starvation.

It will repress your metabolism because you lose lean body mass eating too little. lean body mass is what drives your metabolism.

I started this path at 40 years old and took it slow delierately. I do not think your age has anything to do with it. I also weight train and eat about 1850 caloires per day.

If you have been undereating for a prolonged period of time, it may take some time to adjust to eating at the healthy level...put the scale away for a month, calculate your TDEE -15% and eat from there. Your body should readjust well within the 4 weeks and you should see a difference on the scale. Remember this is learning how to eat right forever and not just a quick way to lose weight. Plus, if you are not "dieting" you can keep it up forever and stay healthy.

AMEN!!!

Want to get fitter and healthier? Don't go on a diet, make a lifestyle change ditch the scales and work hard.
  • Basco0614
    Basco0614 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my second round on doing the yoyo thing and it is much harder to lose weight this time. I am also wanting to tone more then lose weight so I think that I am building muscle. One thing that I noticed I needed to drink more water, and the second thing was eat the calories you burn working out ALWAYS. If I have a ton of extra calories from working out and I don't eat them I will wake up and weigh more. I hope that you find why you have this going on and kick its butt :) Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Eating at too low a deficit will cause you to lose weight but weight is made up of
    A- fat
    B- Muscle
    C-Water

I guarantee you will lose mostly muscle and water.

The more muscle (lean Mass) you have the higher your metabolism the higher your metabolism the more you burn meaning you need to eat more to keep your BMR up.

Please read this and educate yourself about TDEE and BMR and why eating at too low a deficit is detrimental to FAT loss and health.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Then read this

http://io9.com/5984275/the-worst-lies-that-mainstream-nutrition-has-told-you

If that doesn't help i can go further into the discussion on how sugars are what make people Fat and not Fats, Healthy fats are essential to fat loss confusing yes but learning this will help define your lifestyle and how well you adapt.

How does that explain that she wouldn't lost weight at a calorie deficit. Since muscle is heavier than fat if she's losing more muscle wouldn't one expect to lose more weight?
  • SGSmallman
    Options
    How does that explain that she wouldn't lost weight at a calorie deficit. Since muscle is heavier than fat if she's losing more muscle wouldn't one expect to lose more weight?

Yes and that's why people who only weigh themselves on scales and are on too low a calorie intake think they're losing weight it's just muscle.

You are making this much harder than it should be. You need to eat at a deficit but not too great a deficit.

I am 5'11 24 years old and my starting weight was 220lbs now that seems pretty heavy but when you look at what that total weight adds up to it's not as bad as others. I have 77kg of lean mass and a then body fat % of 28 which is what im working on lowering.

My goal is to drop my body fat by 12-15% while maintaining and buliding lean mass so my TDEE - 20% is 1850 Calories a day. I eat that amount on a non workout day then a slightly higher amount depending on how much extra i've burnt exercising.

I am losing 2lbs a week but plenty of inches this is healthy weight loss as im also building muscle and getting stronger.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes and that's why people who only weigh themselves on scales and are on too low a calorie intake think they're losing weight it's just muscle.

You are making this much harder than it should be. You need to eat at a deficit but not too great a deficit.

I am 5'11 24 years old and my starting weight was 220lbs now that seems pretty heavy but when you look at what that total weight adds up to it's not as bad as others. I have 77kg of lean mass and a then body fat % of 28 which is what im working on lowering.

My goal is to drop my body fat by 12-15% while maintaining and buliding lean mass so my TDEE - 20% is 1850 Calories a day. I eat that amount on a non workout day then a slightly higher amount depending on how much extra i've burnt exercising.

I am losing 2lbs a week but plenty of inches this is healthy weight loss as im also building muscle and getting stronger.

I'm a 51 yo woman in maintenance for 2 years. My BF% is in th fitness range (barely, but still there). I usually eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 1600 - 2200 calories per day (about 1800 on average). I don't make it hard, and I'm not questioning your diet advice.

I am questioning how the response "you are eating too little" makes any sense when asked "why am I not losing" by someone dieting for one month by eating 1200 calories. The OP doesn't fall into the category of "weigh themselves on scales and are on too low a calorie intake think they're losing weight it's just muscle". She said she's not losing.

While the advice is good, it doesn't answer the question. Why isn't she losing if she's on a deficit?
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    "Muscle is heavier than fat"

Evacuate thread!!!!!