Fitness blender 8 week program calorie burn

Options
Hey,
I've been following the fitness blender 8 week program which I love but I've not been getting as high of a calorie burn (according to my HRM) as the program says I should get. A fair few of the workouts are stretches, weights and some other low impact and so I was wondering if the lower calorie burn reading may be because my heart rate isn't going as high compared to if I was only doing HIIT or something similar.
I think the reason I feel a bit down about it is because before I started the programme I was only doing cardio and so my burn was much higher for the same amount of time compared to now.
Any advice/reassurance that I should keep at it instead of returning to lots of cardio is welcome :)

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    You need a lifestyle change, not an 8 week program.

Do HIIT and make better meal choices.
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks but I am doing it as part of a lifestyle change... And I'd say my meal choices are over all fine bar a few cheat meals etc if I have plans.
  • talenarenee
    talenarenee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about your fitness program. Does it have a lot of strength training? Strength training doesn't generally have the same immediate calorie burn (because your heart rate isn't racing like HIIT), but the muscle toning will lead to more calories burned throughout the day. Make sure you're incorporating cardio workouts during the week too. A good mix of strength training and cardio is what we all need.
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks yeah it does have a fair amount of strength training in it. I feel more toned which is good.
    Yeah I've been trying to add in HIIT through out the week to get my heart rate up. Thanks for the help :)
  • tanyamstrain
    tanyamstrain Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    These kinds of workouts help you burn calories throughout the day as opposed to burning them off immediately with regular cardio routines. The low impact routines are put in place to allow your body to rest and recover from the HIIT workouts, which your body needs.
    The only other suggestion I have is push your-self harder during the low impact cardio session to achieve a higher heart rate. You can modify the workout to fit your needs. You could wear a weight vest, arm weights or use dumbbells during the workout to give yourself that extra burn. Just don't overdo it because it could have the adverse reaction. Your body will start to get used to working out hard all the time and it may become harder to achieve the results you’re looking for.
    Hope this helps.