Healthy low calorie snacks

Options
debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
I alwas read about people mentioning foods to eat to increase their calories and reach their goals. I am looking for the opposite.

I hate nuts, pb, yoghurt, rasins, celery, oranges, pears, tomatoes etc

Name things I can have around the flat or at work (work on a ward) to snack on. I need low calorie as I tend to have high calorie meals most of the time..

Should I stick to things like:

seeds
humus
rice cakes/rivita
muchrooms/brocolli/carrots
wasabi beans
crisps - sunbites/petzels/special k/velvet crunch
cereal bars
fruit
bread sticks - wheat
ham/chicken slices

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Snack on whatever you like. I snack on yogurt, peas in the pod, celery, fruits/berries, baked chips (occasionally), popcorn, cottage cheese, string cheese. Jerkey is another good option. A packet of oatmeal can be a good snack at work if you can get to a microwave.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    popcorn ..... microwave packs, or make your own (with a brown lunch bag)

Snap peas (or snow peas)

Peppers - red & yellow especially

No sugar added applesauce
  • debrag12
    Options
    People say have a cheese string, a square of dark chololate etc but I can't just eat 1 sqaure of chocolate, 1 cheese string, a few peas etc

10 snap peas are 17 calories
    1 cheese string is 60 calories

I just need to learn what is right for me
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    baked chips, smaller slices of cheesecake, just one resses peanut butter cup. : )
  • debrag12
    Options
    baked chips, smaller slices of cheesecake, just one resses peanut butter cup. : )

hate peanut butter
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Apple slices microwaved with cinnamon on top :D
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Ermahgerd-Kerrerts-Rabbit.jpg
  • debrag12
    Options

yuck, cooked fruit
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    A bar of chocolate 100g has roughly 500-600kcal. Even for someone on an 1200kcal diet, they could easily snack on that throughout the day and finish the remainder of their cals on a full meal (dinner)."
  • nikilis
    Options

yuck, cooked fruit

you need to widen your palette.
  • nikilis
    Options
    A bar of chocolate 100g has roughly 500-600kcal. Even for someone on an 1200kcal diet, they could easily snack on that throughout the day and finish the remainder of their cals on a full meal (dinner)."

wait... what?
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to add more nutrition to my diet. So I find a piece of fruit is a great snack and I have been trying to convince myself to have that piece of fruit before I have rice crackers, or crackers.

The suggestions you have are great ideas. Maybe you could mix them together? A piece of fruit, and a rice cake with cream cheese or hummus shouldn't be a ton of cals. You could have hummus and some carrot sticks. You could some veges that you mentioned broc/mushrooms/carrot with some chicken or ham slices, or a handful of nuts. Each of these suggestions has a little bit of protien. I would also try to try a cup of tea or a class of water with your snack as that will make you feel fuller. You could also measure out a little container of berries.

I suggest about things you like to eat, then measure out portions that fit into your day. If you have big meals and only have space for two 100 cal snacks, work out what a 100 cal serving looks like. Have a rough idea (or a list) of what each fruit you like is cal wise and then you can figure out how many crackers to eat with it.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

hate peanut butter

:noway: :noway: :noway: You crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • debrag12
    Options

yuck, cooked fruit

Sorry never like fruit unless it's fresh
  • debrag12
    Options
    I have been trying to add more nutrition to my diet. So I find a piece of fruit is a great snack and I have been trying to convince myself to have that piece of fruit before I have rice crackers, or crackers.

The suggestions you have are great ideas. Maybe you could mix them together? A piece of fruit, and a rice cake with cream cheese or hummus shouldn't be a ton of cals. You could have hummus and some carrot sticks. You could some veges that you mentioned broc/mushrooms/carrot with some chicken or ham slices, or a handful of nuts. Each of these suggestions has a little bit of protien. I would also try to try a cup of tea or a class of water with your snack as that will make you feel fuller. You could also measure out a little container of berries.

I suggest about things you like to eat, then measure out portions that fit into your day. If you have big meals and only have space for two 100 cal snacks, work out what a 100 cal serving looks like. Have a rough idea (or a list) of what each fruit you like is cal wise and then you can figure out how many crackers to eat with it.

Thank you thats what I need to get my head around. 25gs of something may be small but I can add things to it.
  • nikilis
    Options

yuck, cooked fruit

i mean in general also. you seem to not like a lot of stuff.
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

wait... what?

TL;DR

Eat chocolate. It's nice.
  • debrag12
    Options

yuck, cooked fruit

i mean in general also. you seem to not like a lot of stuff.

So far all I've said I don't like are: nuts, pb, yoghurt, rasins, celery, oranges, pears, tomatoes, cooked fruit. Forgot to add pineapple
  • nikilis
    Options

wait... what?

TL;DR

your saying someone should eat half their calories from chocolate?
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

wait... what?

TL;DR

your saying someone should eat half their calories from chocolate?

Not at all.

But that's a marvellous idea, come to think of it.