Obesity in the US over time

Options

Replies

• pleasehealthme
    Options
    Saw these shots on imgur a while back. Very interesting stuff!

Makes me excited to be moving to Colorado in October :D
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    0.o
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2013/04/
    obesity_in_america_cdc_releases_gif_of_epidemic_over_time.html

You have to put the 2 titles together MFP cuts it off as one title it is too long
  • MzMayliza
    MzMayliza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, that really puts it into perspective. I don't really think it's the American people's fault either. The process food industry they add salt, sugar and, fats to products to make them tastier and addictive they should be held accountable for some of it. Marketing companies also have some blame, they market to children who aren’t old enough to know better. It’s as bad as smoking and just as addictive. Eventually these companies will face the public the way the tobacco industry did. In much the same way a lot of the damage will already be done.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    That is a scary picture! Is it averages?

I personally wonder where mass factory production, cheap oil, and technology fit into the map time wise - mostly because I am interested in How mass production of cars, price of oil and cellphone/internet affect this graph; super interesting to ponder!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    US CANADIANS CAN TEACH THEM A THING OR TWO.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    US CANADIANS CAN TEACH THEM A THING OR TWO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Canada
  • MzMayliza
    MzMayliza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ya we're following the US because we too are sold the same crap.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Wow, that really puts it into perspective. I don't really think it's the American people's fault either. The process food industry they add salt, sugar and, fats to products to make them tastier and addictive they should be held accountable for some of it. Marketing companies also have some blame, they market to children who aren’t old enough to know better. It’s as bad as smoking and just as addictive. Eventually these companies will face the public the way the tobacco industry did. In much the same way a lot of the damage will already be done.
    Lol, somehow people shouldn't be responsible for what they put in their mouths? They aren't being forced to OVER CONSUME they are choosing to do it. Lack of concern of what they are putting in their mouths is why obesity is happening. When it becomes a concern, then they up take the education needed to eat correctly. And this education is FREE online.
    Don't put the blame just on the the industry. While they do have a hand in it, they market to the BUYING actions of the consumer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ya we're following the US because we too are sold the same crap.
    Honestly, the same "crap" is sold all over the world. There's lots of processed, salty food in Asia.

IDEA Fitness member
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    PwT7RKH.jpg
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    The additives in food doesn't help, for sure! There is corn syrup in everything (not a literal use of the word everything) in the States. I think that is why so many American's achieve such great results with 'eating clean'.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have always been a trend setter. I was fat way before it was cool.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The additives in food doesn't help, for sure! There is corn syrup in everything (not a literal use of the word everything) in the States. I think that is why so many American's achieve such great results with 'eating clean'.
    Eating "clean" usually means less calorie density. If processed foods were the main blame, then obesity should be a world wide epidemic. It's not.
    Americans are some of the most "instant gratification" and "time stricken" people in the world. No time, pick up something. No time, pick a quick loss fad diet. No time to learn how to eat correctly. This plan worked for others, so it will work for me too.
    When people actually LEARN how to control calories, then weight isn't an issue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If it was a contest between North and South the south wins! I am in the south I guess all that fried chicken does make you fat..oh wait you have to EAT it to get fat NM. Being fat has nothing to do with your country but has everything to do with your fat little hand continuing to shove bad choices down you fat little gullet and abusing food. Lack of self control and irresponsibility is the reason you are fat not big corporations.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    We moved to Colorado from Kentucky 16 years ago. When we first moved here, no one was overweight-no one. However, over the years it is changing. Unfortunately, there are more overweight people here now than ever.

We do have lots of bike/walking trails and gym and recreation centers. My dad visits here fairly often and commented once that he noticed we don't have the buffet style restaurants that are common back home. I never thought about it before but I guess he's right!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    We moved to Colorado from Kentucky 16 years ago. When we first moved here, no one was overweight-no one. However, over the years it is changing. Unfortunately, there are more overweight people here now than ever.

We do have lots of bike/walking trails and gym and recreation centers. My dad visits here fairly often and commented once that he noticed we don't have the buffet style restaurants that are common back home. I never thought about it before but I guess he's right!

You could place a free buffet on the corner of every street in every country,every state,every city all over the world and still have the healthiest, fittest country,state and city worldwide IF the ppl in those countries,states, and cities had any accountability and self control and not so many excuses and scapegoats.