Best running shoes for heavy runners?

Options
Good morning! I have been doing research but would also like some "real people" advice. :) I am looking for the best shoes (on a budget) to get for jogging/running. Every shoe I have bought in the past, my feet are hurting mere minutes into a walk. Just a walk! I am approximately 5'2" and nearly 200 lbs. My feet are mostly flat and I do believe I overpronate quite a bit. I would like to start running the Couch to 5K but am just dreading it because of the discomfort/pain! I want to do it properly.

And I must mention that 150 bucks for a pair of shoes isn't doable for me! I can probably do 75 but not a ton more.

Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My husband gets his shoes from New Balance. They are billed as being for "larger framed runners". Since he's a serious heavy lifter, he carries a lot of weight on his frame. He loves them. joesnewbalanceoutlet.com carries pretty good deals, that's where my husband gets all his shoes from. I'm a Brooks girl, myself, and I also have flat feet. I loved my Traces, and right now I'm rocking the pureCadence. They're lighter, but tighter, and both support my flat arches well. I can't decide if I'm going to switch back to Trances when my PureCadences die or not. The Trances are wider, you might like those. I got my Trances off the clearance rack at Finish Line, and I got my PurseCadences from Brooks' website, they are not the latest model, so they were discounted. I'd suggest going to a store like Finish Line (but really make sure the salesperson knows what they're talking about. A friend of mine, that I know knows what he's doing, helped me there) or a running store and trying several pair on.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    go find a real running store. Have the people watch your step and cadence. They will be able to figure out what you need.

That being said I have a paid of brooks that have a 4mm drop. Next pair I'm looking for new balance that are minimalist shoes.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    I highly suggest going to a running store, as another poster mentioned. That's the only way to get shoes right for YOU!

I ended up with a pair of Brooks. Love them. Made all the difference in the world!
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Go to a good running store and get your feet checked out. Just mention to them your budget constraint and your concern about weight and they should be able to get you into a pair of shoes that are good for you. Maybe not the perfect ones due to the budget constraints, but at the very least good. Really, everyone is different, runs different and weighs different, there is no one-fits-all answer to shoes.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balances when I need cushioning and stability. I would go to a running store... let them fit you and recommend a pair. THEN go to amazon.com and buy them there :) They are usually a lot cheaper... zappos.com works, too. Good luck!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Get fitted. You need the right shoes for you.

When I first started, I got put in a pair of Brooks Adrenaline stability shoes. They were great. After I lost about 30lbs, I "graduated" to a nuetral shoe. Your needs might change as you lose weight, so get fitted for shoes regularly - your shoes typically need to be replaced after 300-500 miles anyway (although they might need to be replaced sooner if you are heavy as you're putting more strain on them).
  • ToolRat
    ToolRat Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love New Balance! I have a pair for work (I walk around 3 miles a day at work) and I have a pair for the gym and then one for walking/riding my bike. I love them, they are wider then most and feel very comfortable.
  • jvn11
    jvn11 Posts: 1
    Options
    Go to any sports store and ask them which models are designed for people who over pronate. Sometimes there are only one or 2 models per brand which tend to provide additional support on the inner part of your foot to help prevent pronation. I use an asics shoe which has this additional support and I love them.
  • leftovers4lunch
    leftovers4lunch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree that you need to go to a running store and get fitted. It made a difference for me. You may also want to consider getting a wider and/or bigger shoe as feet tend to swell once you start walking/running.

I personally am an advocate of New Balance - I run in their 870v2 and lift weights in the Minimus WX20 and Ionix W3090.
  • curleegirl68
    curleegirl68 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like New Balance too. I also have a pair of running shoes I got at a running store on Black Friday for $20.00 originally priced at 100. They are Brooks.

I have a size ten shoe and they've been pretty good. Although in running shoes they always recommend to go a size high, so my Brooks are 11. Getting your feet measured is good.
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and got fitted. I was 285 at the time and the ones that worked the best for me (and still work 53lbs lighter) were Brooks Dyad 7. I got them 1 size up and in wide width. They are really great and provide support without being too rigid and just enough cushioning without being mushy.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balances when I need cushioning and stability. I would go to a running store... let them fit you and recommend a pair. THEN go to amazon.com and buy them there :) They are usually a lot cheaper... zappos.com works, too. Good luck!!!

NOT this ^^^^ At least the part where you go to a small business, take their personnel's individualized attention and expertise, and THEN go on line to get the stuff cheaper. If you go to the running store, be decent and make the initial purchase there. You need to replace running shoes fairly often. Buy your 2nd pair on line if you like.
  • maggiet63
    maggiet63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I am heavy 5 4" and 182lb and I have been advised to buy Asics Gel- Kayanos or Asics Nimbus( these shoes give you alot of cushioning and take the impact of the pounding on the pavements) - they have helped my knees and joints. Try your very best to get to a sport shop that give advice and information on which shoe would suit your needs within your budget too. Also on Amazon you can get last years colours for a cheaper too if the shop is too expensive. Good luck x
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I started running at 250lbs using Asics gel nimbus, I swear by them but always best to get fitted.
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues with my feet. With the research I have done, I would also recommend in addition to going to a real running store is to find proper socks for walking/running. Wearing cotton socks are not the best (probably why I have huge blisters on my feet) Good socks with cushion might help the pain.
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with all the posts about going to a running store to get fitted. Your first pair may be a little more pricey, but if you are having issues with other shoes, just in walking, then you are in the wrong type of shoes. A local running store found my best fit to be Brooks and I had no idea. I was in New Balance, and they we not working for me. Every person and every foot is different! I got a nice pair of stability Brooks for $95.

Good luck
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Probably shouldn't run if you can't afford a pair of shoes that don't hurt your feet. Injury isn't what you need when you're trying to exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I started with New Balance shoes for walking ever day at work and another pair for the gym/running. I found that the shoes I bought for the gym were OK for lifting but lousey for running. On the recommendation of someone in my neighborhood, I tried running in Vibram FiveFingers and they were great. I have run in the VFF's up to 9 miles at a time but then began to develop some strains and pains in tendons and the like. I went to a local running shop and had them look at my very wide and very flat feet and they suggest Brooks Adreneline or a few others but they were not available wide enough for my feet (4E). I did more research on the net and ended up with a pair of Brooks Addiction 10 in size 14, 4E and they fit and feel great. I have been wearing them for daily commuting and to the gym while I wait for my achillies tendonitis on the right side to heal up and then I will restart my running training program wearing the Brooks shoes. I believe the injuries came from pronating too much in the VFF's which strained the ankle join and the achilles.

Moral of the story, get fitted at the running store, check out what other runners say online about the shoes you are considering, and then make a final decision that is best for your particular situation.
  • MandiRae1005
    Options
    Probably shouldn't run if you can't afford a pair of shoes that don't hurt your feet. Injury isn't what you need when you're trying to exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

She didn't say she couldn't afford a pair of shoes, she said she had a budget.

Dawna, thanks for posting this! Ryan and I are looking for a good pair as well, our shoes are horrible and kill our feet when we walk!
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who gave me productive advice! I don't want to waste money nor time on another pair of shoes that won't work, so I will be visiting a running store this weekend!

Thanks again!