How to Overcome Emotional Eating

Options

Replies

• iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I haven't overcome emotional eating and I'm not sure if i ever will. I've resolved that I'm going to have good days and bad days. On the good days I will work hard to be within my goals - I wake up every day thinking it's going to be a good day. When I have a bad day and binge, it is a caloric catastrophe. Afterwards, I just throw away the fast food wrappings and bags and call it a day with the determination to have a better day tomorrow. Most of the time it is better.
  • andii4
    andii4 Posts: 23
    Options
    Ok. I'm an emotional eater too. I work full time and am mom to 3 kids. Yes they are wonderful, but they are still kids that always want something or NEED something. lol Being pulled on in so many directions like your boss, kids, spouse and even yourself is overwelming. I understand 1000%. i've just started using myfitnesspal and it's really helping me be aware of what I'm eating. I think when we eat emotionally we aren't even aware that we are eating as much as we are and that is part of the problem. Whats been working for me is drinking lots of water and making sure I eat protein. I've been having a protein shake for breakfast and putting a tablespoon of coconut oil/virgin organic in the shake. I like the flavor. It's supposed to fill you up more and I've noticed a difference. It's supposed to have good fats in it etc. There is lots of info out on the benefits of coconut oil. Yes it's high in fat but the result of not wanting to grab a giant breakfast burrito and that it's good for my skin and hair is neat too. The other thng I've been telling myself is that I need to keep promises that I make to myself. It's that simple. How can I expect anyone else to keep their word to me when I don't even keep the promises I make to me? For some odd reason that is motivating me. Also, take a deep breath and say what you are feeling out loud. I know it sounds silly but allowing yourself to have your feelings is freeing. I think so many of us tell ourselves we shouldn't feel a certain way. Well why not? Feelings are not good or bad, they just are. You had every right to feel stressed and overwhelmed this morning. I hope your day gets better. You are not alone. Chin up!
  • amitindia
    Options
    PLease check out this book - The Serotonin Power Diet: Eat Carbs--Nature's Own Appetite Suppressant--to Stop Emotional Overeating and Halt Antidepressant-Associated Weight Gain Paperback
    by Judith Wurtman (Author) , Nina T. Frusztajer (Author)

I think you might benefit from it immensely. Please do post back to let us know if it helped or not.

Cheers
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The way it works for me = a hobby. I make jewelry so when I feel that urge (something upsets me, whatever) I go work on a project, whether it is a necklace or a bracelet, something to take my mind off of it. It works for me. it is a lot harder when I am not smoking, because if I get upset or emotional about something my first reaction is to smoke. I managed to quit smoking for a few months but a ton of stress took over my life and I ended up smoking. I am working on kicking that now and my jewelry making hobby helps a lot with that too. Lately my emotional eating splurge is in the form of a diet root-beer. Instead of food I tend to want a diet root-beer. I am not a big fan of soda, especially diet soda, so for me that is bad. I am working on that but I guess for me I would rather drink a diet root-beer than sit on the couch whining with a pint of ice cream.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Who's buying the pizza and chocolate? Don't bring it in the house. You've heard this before, but buy healthy food that you enjoy and that can be snacked on when you have an urge to overeat. Pay attention to your triggers.

Try to get out of the house at least once a day and take a walk or exercise. To be cooped up at home with a baby is extremely stressful.
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    some good posts here and do some searches too on previous discussions on this in the forums, I did one earlier this week on this same topic and picked up some sound advice .. the point that really resonated for me was obvious but I had never thought about it before which was to pause a moment to work out WHY I was eating, meaning exploring exactly what feelings was I trying to avoid by turning to eating instead of wanting to feel them?

I've been reflecting on this and for me personally, I realise that I turn to biscuits (and frankly anything else) rather than feel hurt, threatened, outraged, betrayed, angry, upset, scared ... but that if I just sit with those feelings for a while, and they are only feelings / thoughts not actual physical threats in that moment, it's OK. it doesn't make those negative emotions go away (my life is on the rocks right now) but giving myself the right to feel it and experience it as part my own psyche, not just stuff it back down quite literally with something sweet instead has been liberating .. no, it's not 100% success yet by any means as it's changing the habits of a lifetime and that will take time in itself, but it's a conscious step that now I've made it, I realise that I can't go back to totally mindless eating and it's already very slowly changing how I respond to bad luck / news and all the crap that goes with that -

good luck to you x
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for years, honestly. And one day I said stop. Last Holidays, I ate everything I wanted. 3 pieces of pie for snack, a ton of cheese and bread, cookies... then mid January I was done. I guess I made myself sick of eating? I knew for a while that eventually I'd be ready to lose weight, and there I was. I made this contract with myself (my diary here) because I was sick of being fat, having reflux, losing my breath if I bent over...

Now when I feel like having something I shouldn't, I just remind myself why I'm doing this. That the 30 seconds it will take me to eat what I'm craving is not worth it, because in the end I want to look good. So if I want to obsess over something, it's going to be what I'm going to have for breakfast or lunch tomorrow, instead of what I'm going to have now.

And I let myself have treats. It's not an all or nothing approach. I can still have a small treat every day as long as it fits my calories. I'm just going to pass on those chicken tenders and fries and have something healthy for lunch instead, so I can have that ice cream bar I'm really craving later. And I've found that if I'm stressed or angry because of the kids, going for a walk (or to the gym to use the treadmill) works wonders too, and it doesn't make me feel guilty like eating a tub of ice cream would... it's a win-win.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I just decided to stop. The pain of overeating and staying too heavy got to be too much. I also decided to get mentally tough on a lot of areas of excess.. there is nothing I can eat or go buy at the mail that well help me having an emotional moment or truely get me over it. I can't control what others do, but 19 months ago I decided to control what I ate, because I can. But when I was feeling weak my first year on maintenance, I kept reading on MFP the successes and challenges everyone was going thru, got thru and was winning.
  • DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :)
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've thrown all my emotional eating into emotional exercising. I take a ten minute walk. I go for a bike ride. I do yoga. I use the treadmill at the gym. I no longer sit home and eat when I'm feeling down.

It does take some willpower to walk past the cookies but I ask myself what is more important...a few minutes of satisfaction from the cookies or my long term health, weight and smaller sizes.

I also allow myself occasional treats in a controlled environment...I won't buy cookies but if someone at work offers me one, I'll think about taking it.
  • lulu0687
    Options
    I've been a emotional eater for years,yo yo dieting. I tell myself whatever the situation that's stressing me, if I eat, it doesn't change the situation and only makes me mad at myself ! people don't understand how hard this is! So I keep a lot of veg/fresh fruit around ! I also tell myself that I can eat anything I want to eat ! So then I give it a lot of thought ! I will go on the computer, take a bath, walk on treadmill ! Also I like to cook, so I spend time looking for healthy recipes and reviseing them !This time it has worked for me so far!
  • Nenny1985
    Nenny1985 Posts: 122
    Options
    i hear ya hun. emotional eating sucks, im an emotional eater too but much better than i used to be. and i have a little baby also, shes 8 months. Here are a few things that have worked for me
    Cravings will usually only last about 10 mins so try to do something to distract yourself for ten mins.
    Get active. even if you don't feel up to leaving the house (or can't) you can make up workouts at home. My little girl will actually stop screaming if i do workouts in front of her, just stares or laughs at me.
    Try to replace some of your "problem" foods with healthier options. Eg i used to binge a lot on chips but gradually replaced them with healthier options like carrots, fruit, yoghurt and sultanas, and then if you over eat on those from time to time its no as bad as overeating on pizza or chocolate,.
    Allow yourself treats from time to time. recently i got a bit too strict on the no junk food thing and by relaxing that a bit it helped. Life is for living after all.

You can do it!

(hope this didn't sound to preachy)

All the best!
  • ithina
    ithina Posts: 23
    Options
    I am such an emotional eater as well. I found when I cut my carbs back I was able to control my hunger better. When I emotionally eat I get this overwhelming hunger sensation. It wasn't as strong and was actually manageable after a day or two of lower carbs. I aim for about 100g of carbs a day, but I actually eat about 150g.

Dealing with the cause of the emotional distress is another thing that has helped. Ask yourself why you're feeling this way and how you can deal with those emotions properly. It may just be a good cry, or it may be something deeper. Be honest with yourself about your feelings. Realize they are real and part of you and try to accept them. Feelings are not logical, so don't try to make sense of them.

Replace your bad habit with a good one. Sometimes when I feel like I want to binge and stuff my face, I'll goto the gym instead. Working out will release the same happy neurotransmitters as eating will without the guilt after.

When I can't goto the gym, I'll call up a friend. Have them talk you out of it =). Or at least talk to them for a few about whatever. The overwhelming desire to stuff my face usually goes away after a few minutes of fun distraction.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for asking and to else everyone for sharing. I need this advice too :-)
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options
    For those who have suggested that waiting will make the craving pass: that is usually not the case for me. On the particular day that I made the original post I waited about an hour and a half before giving into my cravings.
  • ZombieFoodSlayer
    Options
    Hi there, Im not sure if anyone mentioned this but I am an RN and have had 3 kids as well, so I know how frustrating dealing with an infant especially when they are cranky and needy. BUT have you seen your doctor for possible #post-partum depression? just a suggestion of course and this is good in fact that you are putting yourself out there to find some help! PM me if you need more help, I would be glad to commiserate or brain storm you to feeling better!!

#hopeyoufeelbetter

Patricia
  • larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I still battle with my emotional eating. I think what has helped me, part of what a nutiritionist taught me was the stop and deal with the emotion, if you are stressed, sometimes exercise(or even cleaning helps relieve some of that). Try to walk away from your child for a moment and do some breathing exercises, deep breathes usually help calm you down a bit. Think about why you are eating, are you actually hungry or is it the stress. Find things that will keep you from eating, chew gum, brush your teeth. maybe drink some hot tea or something. Hope they help, I know its hard, I have 2 kids so I totally understand, its hard and being an emotional eater is a hard habit to break.
  • kapers5700
    Options
    @jonchew - Your comment is just mean and not at all helpful to this sweet woman. Next time, try to be a human and not take your bad day out on someone else. You even stated in your comment that you were struggling. So to make that better you attack someone else who is struggling. We all have to stick together. It's a big, bad world out there and there are plenty of people to knock us down without it being someone in our "group".
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jacques and I am emotional eater.

"Hi, Jacques"

Hi, uh so I am not making any progress so far in correcting my emotional eating habits, but I got a book from a friend as a suggestion for changing other aspects of my life (exercise, more sleep, no more booze), and it has helped with making other changes in my life. So I am going to apply the techniques I learned that have helped me become a regular exerciser and give up drinking.

"One Small Step Can Change Your Life" by Robert Maurer, PhD.

THe premise is to make VERY SMALL changes in your life and in doing so you fool your primitive reptilian brain into allowing the change. Little by little you accomplish your goal and make real changes you can maintain.

SO the first step is I am asking myself "What can I do today to reduce my need to emotionally eat?" My answer is drink a glass of water after dinner to feel more full and avoid eating after 8 PM. IF I feel cravings, more water or a cup of hot herbal tea. Do that until it is easy and then think of another really small change to do.

Hope that is helpful.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Many of us use food as a drug. Sugar, fat, and salt hit our dopamine receptors and hit them hard, it floods our system with feel good hormones and that makes us stop feeling the "bad" feelings. I strongly suspect that you are self medicating. So, one thing you can do is actually FEEL your feelings. If you and your baby are both safe, then find a way to sit with the feelings and let them be. Journalling may work. Drawing may work. What are they trying to tell you? What is underneath them? Another thing you need to do is find a way to feel good without calories. We all need pleasure in our lives. It doesn't have to come from calories. Although that's a habit / addiction that sometimes gets set very early, it can still be changed. Make a cup of hot tea, put on some music, when your baby naps or you have childcare, take a bubble bath. Put your baby in a wrap and go for a walk. If you're nursing, remember that your oxytocin levels will rise with breastfeeding, so instead of trying to multitask while feeding, put your feet up and try to get the most out of that hormone rush. Find what works for you.